OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Must be missing something -- outlines?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ariaaudio
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Must be missing something -- outlines? Reply with quote

"Help" isn't helping. I've never used outlines in Word, so I don't have any background on how to do this. So, my question: can Writer be used in an outline mode for structuring a document?
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use different styles for titles, sub-titles... and text, then in Tools -> Outline numbering you can assign each style to a "level": this gives to your document a structure. If your document have a structure of chapter -> section -> subsection, then use three styles for them (like header1, header2 and header3) and use level 1, 2 and 3 for them, respectively (in this menu you can set numbering, add a word like "chapter" before the number...). Then, use another style for the normal text. You can set a reference to your text to do cross references (Ctrl+F2), and navigate through the document with the "navigator" (F5)
robina
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too complicated. What I call an "outliner" is something simple and elegant like Treepad Lite. I think neither Writer nor Word (2000) are outliners.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what I call a normal outline - Point1, subpoint1, subpoint2, Point2, subpoint1, subpoint1.1, etc. use Format > Bullets & Numbering. Pick a style form the Outline tab. Tab and Shift+Tab to control the outline level.

Put another way, the powerful Tools > Outline Numbering is for things like books. Format > Bullets & Numbering is for your "quick an dirty" outline about what chapters and sub-chapters you intend to put in your book.

If this isn't what you are looking for perhaps you should describe it in more detail.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Must be missing something -- outlines? Reply with quote

ariaaudio wrote:
"Help" isn't helping. I've never used outlines in Word, so I don't have any background on how to do this. So, my question: can Writer be used in an outline mode for structuring a document?

Hi
Use headings and subheadings to define the various parts of your document( think of them like nodes) The headings then will appear in the navagator and they (and associated text) can be moved up/ down or promoted/demoted as you would with an outliner : Use the arrows or chevrons at the top right.

A double-click on a heading will take you to that section of your document. When you have the navagator docked at the side of the document, it works suprisingly well but it is not an outliner per se.

BTW to dock the navigator is CTL + double click below the elements in the navagator.
ariaaudio
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Must be missing something -- outlines? Reply with quote

Quote:
Use headings and subheadings to define the various parts of your document( think of them like nodes) The headings then will appear in the navagator and they (and associated text) can be moved up/ down or promoted/demoted as you would with an outliner : Use the arrows or chevrons at the top right.

Very cool -- exactly what I was looking for.

<snip>

Quote:
BTW to dock the navigator is CTL + double click below the elements in the navagator.

Huh? I don't understand that. I would like to dock the Navigator, and I'd like to turn off things like "OLE objects," so only Headings is visible.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Must be missing something -- outlines? Reply with quote

ariaaudio wrote:
Quote:

Very cool -- exactly what I was looking for.

<snip>

Quote:

Huh? I don't understand that. I would like to dock the Navigator, and I'd like to turn off things like "OLE objects," so only Headings is visible.

I was a bit brief there. To get the Navagator to dock/undock you need to do a Ctl+(Double click) on either a bit of the gray background in the navagator menu bar or in the 'white' space below the Draw Objects.

To get the Headings only listing have the headings selected and click on the green up and down arrows, second row of the menu bar, second item from left.
ariaaudio
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! Works as advertised! This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: