OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

can open this excel doc with SO6, but can't print

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
butlersupply

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: can open this excel doc with SO6, but can't print Reply with quote

Greetings

I am able to open an MS Excel doc with SO6. But some spreadsheets containing graphics will open but the pic will be blank in SO6 or in SO6 page preview mode. (If I click the graphics, I see an anchor and box representing the size of the pic) When I print the file I get these errors:

"Main memory shortage. Please quit other applications or close some windows before continuing." and "An unrecoverable error has occurred..."

If I delete the graphic, then I can print, no problem. Also, I can re-save the spreadsheet in excel97 format (still can't print afterward), but when I try to save in StarOffice6 Spreadsheet format I get:

"Error saving the document catalog.xls: General Error. General input/output error."

This happens on all PC's. They are new Dell computers running MS Windows 2000, with patches. SO6 also has the latest patches.

Please help, I am trying to convert my users from MSoffice.
--bill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update. This problem happens on all Windows 2000 pc but not on Windows 98.

--bill
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of points:

Have you logged your question at the StarOffice support forum as well?

What SO6 version are you using? Is it SO6.0 or the 6.1 beta? If the former, it might be worth your while downloading the OOo1.1 RC4 (it's free) and testing it on 1 of the problem machines, as there have been substantial bug fixes and improvements in the meantime.

Saving. Are you using the standard Windows Open/save dialog box? I ask this because you are saying you are trying to save in SO format but it's referring to ".xls". Go to tools\options\staroffice (or openoffice)\general and check if "use SO or OO dialogs" is selected.

Are you able to save then? Are you trying to save to a network, or to the users individual file?

Graphics. There is a " graphics on/off" button on nthe "main" toolbar to the left of the document. What happens if you press it? Is the graphic embedded in the document or a link to a file on the server (or elsewhere).

Please post your answers to these questions. They may well help me and others give you a proper answer. If these don't fix the poblem, subject to confidentiality issues you could e-mail the doc to me and I will open it in OOoRC4 in both Win 98 and Linux to see if I can reproduce your problem. If I cannot the issue would seem to be focusing on SO accessing th network or a user access rights issue.

Ian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Liquidator,

> What SO6 version are you using?
I'm using SO6.0, with update #2

> Are you using the standard Windows Open/save dialog box?
I was using the std. Windows. I changed to 'Use SO Dialogs' and did a 'Save As' to file type 'SO 6.0 Spreadsheet". Automatic file name extensions are on, so the file correctly becomes test.sxc, but I still get a 'Error Saving the document test.xls'.

> Are you trying to save to a network?
I am trying to save the file to the local pc's hard drive. No network.

>is the graphic embedded?
yes. I don't see the 'graphics on/off' button but in the \Options\Spreadsheet\View, 'Object/Graphics', 'Charts', and 'Drawing Objects' are all set to 'Show'.

If I delete the graphic I can print, but I still can't save in SO format. I can save in Excel format.

I will download the OOo1.1 RC4 beta to see if that works. But I worry to load a beta on my users PCs.

Thanks much.
--bill[/quote]
DannyB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would happen if you try this sequence of events?

1. Open Excel sheet in OOo Calc.
2. Save a copy as native OOo Calc format.
3. Completely quit out of OOo, including quickstarter.
4. Open the OOo Calc doc saved in step 2.
5. Try to print.

This experiment might lead to some insight as to whether the excess memory consumption is happening in step 5 or step 1.

Theory A is that step 1 generates a huge memory consumption of objects that somehow do not get freed up. Step 3 would fix this. This theory predicts that step 5 would be successful. Further experimental evidence could be gathered, on Windows, by bringing up the Task Manager (by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del) and observing the memory consumption of OOo after step 1 and before step 5.

Theory B is that something to do with the sheet itself consumes large amounts of memory during printing. Therefore, step 2,3 and 4 will have no effect. This theory predicts that step 5 will still fail with out of memory due to the problem being related to printing instead of related to conversion. Again the Windows Task Manager could give some insight.

Only an experiment will tell, because it will blow away one of these two contradictory theories. As in all science, if a theory disagrees with experiment, it is wrong.

Based on your description, my bet is that Theory B is correct.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DannyB,

This is one of the first things that I was going to try however I get an "Error saving the document test.xls. General Error. General input/output error" when I try to save in native OO format. I am saving to a the local PC's hard drive, not the network drive.

We are setting up 2 stand alone Windows 2000 pcs with a fresh install of SO6.0 and OOo beta so that we can test further.

--bill
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again

The information you have given me does not point to anything obvious.

Graphics - How many graphics are in the spreadsheet? Reason I ask this is that within tools\options\SO(or OOo)\memory you can configure the memory that OOo sets aside for graphics, together with a per object limit. Perhaps upping these a bit might help.

The only other thing I can think of is that when the spreadsheet was produced in Excel the graphics were "locked". It's a while since I opened one of these. At that time I got a message that "The document is password protected" and it wouldn't open. Perhaps things have moved on a bit and SO/OOo can now open it but can't display the graphics. If you have Excel, check this. If not, I can do so for you.

Save- The only time I have ever seen the message you have is when I accidentally put a \ in the file name. A fundamental error. It occurs to me that if SO does not properly open the document for the reason mentioned in the paragraph above, it cannot hope to properly save it in SO format, but might be able to report saving it without conversion i.e as .xls.

Sorry if I have missed the target, but let us know.

Ian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

If I open the file in MS Excel 2000, select everything, including the graphics, and then past it to a new MS Excel spread sheet and save it. Then open the newly created file in SO6.0 then I can print. I can also cut/paste directly from Excel to SO6 and then print.

We received these files from one of our manufactures. The graphics that seems to be the problem is their company logo. All my W2K pcs have this problem with all files from this manufacture...

Also, I cannot save any Calc file in native Calc format. Not sure why...

--bill
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Can you do me a favour? Please check in Excel whether the graphics in question are "locked". Alternatively,try deleting the data, leaving the graphics, and save that as a new .xls file. Does that open and save correctly in OOo?

Ian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK the problem is solved. I took a 'clean' Windows 2000 pc and installed OpenOffice1.1rc4. Graphics now look perfect. Printing is perfect. Saving is perfect. In fact, 1.1rc4 is a much better product all around. And now I see today that rc5 is out.

Thanks everyone for all your help. And sorry. I should have tried 1.1 before I posted.

--bill
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked!
P-Y Delens

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: a OOffice on Win2K for PyUno Reply with quote

Bonjour,

where can I download an OOffice on Win2K, suitable for PyUno ?

Likely we need openoffice1.1RC4, which I only found for Linux.

Is openoffice1.1RC4 stable enough ?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: