OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Can't embed movies in OpenOffice Impress
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cabiven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Can't embed movies in OpenOffice Impress Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to embed movies in Impress, but not very successfully so far. Since I'm new to Linux I might have screwed up somewhere, but I followed this:

http://www.ucolick.org/~zingale/OOo_movies/

And bumped into a problem:
JMStudio doesn't run. It gives me an exception:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at .get_state (/usr/lib/lib-gnu-java-awt-peer-gtk.so.6.0.0)
at .Java_gnu_java_awt_peer_gtk_GtkMenuPeer_addItem (/usr/lib/lib-gnu-java-awt-peer-gtk.so.6.0.0)
at gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkMenuPeer.addItem(java.awt.peer.MenuItemPeer, int, boolean) (/usr/lib/lib-gnu-java-awt-peer-gtk.so.6.0.0)
at gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkMenuPeer.addItem(java.awt.MenuItem) (/usr/lib/lib-gnu-java-awt-peer-gtk.so.6.0.0)
at java.awt.Menu.add(java.awt.MenuItem) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
at JMStudio.createMenu() (Unknown Source)
at JMStudio.initFrame() (Unknown Source)
at jmapps.ui.JMFrame.JMFrame(java.awt.Frame, java.lang.String) (Unknown Source)
at jmapps.ui.PlayerFrame.PlayerFrame(java.awt.Frame, java.lang.String) (Unknown Source)
at JMStudio.JMStudio() (Unknown Source)
at JMStudio.createNewFrame() (Unknown Source)
at JMStudio.main(java.lang.String[]) (Unknown Source)
at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.call_main() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)

I have no idea how to fix this, nor whether it would still be possible to run JMF in Impress in theory.
Also is there any alternative to JMF: Mplayer for instance?

Thx for ur support,

Claude
james_h
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice.org 2: Getting Movie and Sound to work with Linux Reply with quote

OpenOffice.org 2: Getting Movie and Sound to work with Linux
You can embed movies and sounds in documents and presentations. On UNIX systems, the Media Player requires the Java Media Framework API (JMF). The documentation accompanying JMF includes a list of formats and codecs that JMF can play.

Install Java
You can get a copy of Sun Java from http://www.java.com

Install Java Media Framework
Download jmf-2_1_1e-linux-i586.bin from http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/.
To install the JMF files you need to make the file executable. Open a console window and type
chmod u+x jmf-2_1_1e-linux-i586.bin
Change to the directory containing jmf-2_1_1e-linux-i586.bin and run it
./jmf-2_1_1e-linux-i586.bin
Follow the onscreen instructions. Type “Yes” to accept the license. If you are only going to use Java Media Framework with OpenOffice.org, you can answer “No” to the other two questions.
Set the java user environment to identify the location of the Java Media Framework files. In the console window, type
export JMFHOME=
/path_to/JMF-2.1.1e
export CLASSPATH=$JMFHOME/lib/jmf.jar::$JMFHOME/lib/sound.jar:.:${CLASSPATH}
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH $JMFHOME/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

Add support for MP3 audio
Download javamp3-1_0.zip from
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/mp3/download.html.
Extract mp3plugin.jar.
Move mp3plugin.jar to the lib/ext directory in your installed java directory. You may need administrator rights to do this.
Copy jmf.jar to the lib/ext directory in your installed java directory. You may need administrator rights to do this.
In the console window, type java com.sun.media.codec.audio.mp3.JavaDecoder. You may need administrator rights to do this.

Set up OpenOffice.org to use Java Media Framework
Use the Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org > Java menu
Click the Class Path... Button.
Click the Add Archive... Button.
Browse to the jmf.jar file to add it.

Check the installation
Start up simpress, the presentations tool. Create a new document
Use the Insert > Movies and Sound menu.
Browse to a supported movie or sound file. You can find sounds for testing in the /opt/openoffice.org2.0/share/gallery/sounds directory.
To play the media, click it, then click the play button on the Media toolbar. In simpress, the media file will also play automatically when you show the slide in the slideshow.
The Java Media format can not open all movie and sound files. In particular, some files from the Internet use proprietary compression codecs that JMF cannot decode.
paullee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get simliar problem in XP.

I try insert *.mov, it dosn't play in Normal nor Slideshow view.
I insert *.mov as Object-Plugin, it DOES PLAY in NORMAL view, BUT not in SLIDESHOW mode.

BTW, just can't find what's the difference between:-
1. Insert Movie and Sound
2. Insert Object - Video
3. Insert Object - Plugin - (e.g. QuickTime mov)

Any idea?
Thanks in advance.

(p.s. I have search through this forum, but seems the previous discussion doesn't help to solve out this problem)
cabiven

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all thanks for the quick reply. I tried all this already, and I tried it again after reading your note. Java is installed, but I think JVM is the one causing trouble. When I type:

java com.sun.media.codec.audio.mp3.JavaDecoder

It gives me:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at .get_state (/usr/lib/lib-gnu-java-awt-peer-gtk.so.6.0.0)
at .Java_gnu_java_awt_peer_gtk_GtkMenuPeer_addItem (/usr/lib/lib-gnu-java-awt-peer-gtk.so.6.0.0)
at gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkMenuPeer.addItem(java.awt.peer.MenuItemPeer, int, boolean) (/usr/lib/lib-gnu-java-awt-peer-gtk.so.6.0.0)
at gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkMenuPeer.addItem(java.awt.MenuItem) (/usr/lib/lib-gnu-java-awt-peer-gtk.so.6.0.0)
at java.awt.Menu.add(java.awt.MenuItem) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
at JMStudio.createMenu() (Unknown Source)
at JMStudio.initFrame() (Unknown Source)
at jmapps.ui.JMFrame.JMFrame(java.awt.Frame, java.lang.String) (Unknown Source)
at jmapps.ui.PlayerFrame.PlayerFrame(java.awt.Frame, java.lang.String) (Unknown Source)
at JMStudio.JMStudio() (Unknown Source)
at JMStudio.createNewFrame() (Unknown Source)
at JMStudio.main(java.lang.String[]) (Unknown Source)
at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.call_main() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)

Any clue?

Claude
james_h
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't embed movies in OpenOffice Impress Reply with quote

Claude:

Your error messages include "gnu", which suggests that you are using a different version of java then I am. I used my package manager to remove my Linux distribution's default installation of java, then installed Sun java and manually made a symbolic link to the java application in my /usr/local/bin directory. Sun java is the only version on my machine.

On my computer, the jmstudio application does not work. However, jmfregistry and jmfinit work fine. I'm successfully able to use OpenOffice.org 2, with Tools > Media Player or Insert > Movie and Sound.

Not all .mov movies work because the jmf only supports a subset of the video and audio codecs that the Apple Quicktime application can show. The documentation entitled formats.html inside the jmf directory lists which codecs the jmf supports. Therefore, when trying to see if it works, use the audio files that are supplied with OpenOffice.org first, just to see if the OpenOffice.org Media Player works okay.

In Linux, you can convert many video formats with mencoder, available as source code from http://www.mplayerhq.hu. I have seen an adaptation that allows you to use it to view embedded videos and sounds in web pages with mozilla, but not with openoffice.org

Using Windows or Macintosh, the paid version of Quicktime can convert videos to the cinepak format, which is supposedly usable with jmf.
UncleDeadley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was following the instructions posted by james_h and I got the following error when trying to install the JMF (tried as user and root, same errors both ways):

java.lang.Error: Can't open video card 0
java.lang.Error: Can't open video card 1
java.lang.Error: Can't open video card 2
java.lang.Error: Can't open video card 3
java.lang.Error: Can't open video card 4
java.lang.Error: Can't open video card 5
java.lang.Error: Can't open video card 6
java.lang.Error: Can't open video card 7
java.lang.Error: Can't open video card 8
java.lang.Error: Can't open video card 9

Kept going and setting the paths, when I got the following error:
@Rodan:/home/noahsark# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH $JMFHOME/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
bash: export: `/home/noahsark/JMF-2.1.1e/lib:': not a valid identifier

My distro is Kanotix (debian sid) and I have OO.o 2.0.3. Java 1.4 is already installed by the distro. I have an ATI MR9600 in my fujitsu N5010 notebook and use the most recent ATI fglrx driver.

Help. How do I get this fixed? Thanks
hovel
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

As for the errors "java.lang.Error: Can't open video card 0 - 9". I think you can ignore them. I assume they have to do with finding a video card to capture video from.

As for the other problem: You are missing an equal sign!

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH $JMFHOME/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
should be
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$JMFHOME/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

I have installed JMF and the Java MP3 plugin in Mandriva-2006 with OpenOffice.org-2.0.2. All works fine except for video in Impress in presentation mode.
I get only sound no picture. At first i installed it in my home directory, as some instuctions suggest. It worked fine but i was not happy about installing somthing in my home directory. Today i installed it again as root in de same directory the Java Runtime Environment was installed (/usr/java/). It works just the same.

I also think the instructions are not entirely correct.
e.g. There is no need for this:
cp $JMFHOME/lib/* /usr/lib/jre/lib/ext

e.g. in openoffice :
Go to Tools/Options/Java/Class Path and add $JMFHOME/lib and exit OOo.
should be:
Go to Tools/Options/Java/Class Path and add $JMFHOME/lib/jmf.jar and exit OOo.

Regards,
Luc
revnomad
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be a better (read easier) way! If not then would someone who knows linux and OO please create one for us simple users?

Norman
eridan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a "simpler" way for linux people:
ffmpeg can translate nearly any format to any other one
so you'll just need to:
install ffmpeg if it's not already there
type something like
ffmpeg -i FileToConvert.avi -vcodec flv -acodec mp3 FileConverted.swf
it creates a flash movie file
then just go to
insert->object->plugin->browse
select Shockwave Flash (*.swf)
include your file

et voila !
james_h
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Thu October 05, 2006 01:51:02 eridan wrote
Quote:
there's a "simpler" way for linux people
Sorry. Embedding a Shockwave Flash file doesn't work as described with my copy of OpenOffice.org2.0.4 (Linux). When I insert a SWF file, it will show in the slide preview view, but OpenOffice.org shows a big plug-in icon when I actually start the slide show.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james_h wrote:
Sorry. Embedding a Shockwave Flash file doesn't work as described with my copy of OpenOffice.org2.0.4 (Linux). When I insert a SWF file, it will show in the slide preview view, but OpenOffice.org shows a big plug-in icon when I actually start the slide show.

It's a known issue which is being worked on: #49357 Plugin objects & applets don't play in Slide Show mode.
paradiza

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this bug #49357 also apply to "normal" videos and sounds? My problem is that I can't play anything in Impress because the Mediaplayer doesn't seem to have any effect. When I hit play nothing happens (stop is selected again immediately). However, jmstudio works fine and also does the test on http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/2.1.1/jmfdiagnostics.html ...

Any idea how to proceed? Is there a way to debug Impress in order to get access to potential error messages?

Thanks,
para
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paradiza wrote:
Does this bug #49357 also apply to "normal" videos and sounds? My problem is that I can't play anything in Impress because the Mediaplayer doesn't seem to have any effect. When I hit play nothing happens (stop is selected again immediately). However, jmstudio works fine and also does the test on http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/2.1.1/jmfdiagnostics.html ...

You should at least be able to use the Media Player in the "Normal View" (as compared to a full screen slide show). You cannot play anything in any mode? Make sure you followed the instructions in the section "Set up OpenOffice.org to use Java Media Framework " in this thread.

Maybe you have issue 39910

Quote:

Any idea how to proceed? Is there a way to debug Impress in order to get access to potential error messages?

Upgrade your OpenOffice.org, Java JRE and JMF. Then (if you use a Linux/Unix system), run OpenOffice.org in a terminal: the JMF may print some messages.
paradiza

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started Impress from my console. Upon selecting a file in the Mediaplayer the following messages appear:

Code:

(openoffice.org:20617): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
(openoffice.org:20617): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
(openoffice.org:20617): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_element_get_bus: assertion `GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed
(openoffice.org:20617): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_bus_add_watch_full: assertion `GST_IS_BUS (bus)' failed
(openoffice.org:20617): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_bus_set_sync_handler: assertion `GST_IS_BUS (bus)' failed
(openoffice.org:20617): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
(openoffice.org:20617): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_element_set_state: assertion `GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed

This is obviously related to gstreamer... Is OO or JMF using gstreamer by default? Is there a way to change it? As I said above, JMF works when I use it standalone (jmstudio)... Any idea?

@ahz: I'm using debian etch (gstreamer 0.8.12) with SDK 1.4.2 (because 1.5 is buggy) and JMF 2.1.1e.

Thanks, para
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paradiza: It looks like you got OOo from Debian and that they modified it to use Gstreamer. (I noticed Ubuntu does the same thing.) I am guessing that JMF vs. Gsteamer is a mutually-exclusive, built-time option, so if you want to use JMF, you probably need to install the official OpenOffice.org from http://download.openoffice.org (which is available in RPM format but on Debian you can install it using rpm2cpio or alien).

Also, I notice that your gstreamer is a bit old.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: