OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

1.9.74 - can't edit table once created
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cptcave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: I agree with oc3 Reply with quote

I played around with the table save problem for a while. Mine rarely crashes when editing the table but it never allows me to change the data.

I have done extesive searches through the OOo bug reporting system. I found one statement saying that this was intentional. I can't imagine why.

Regardless, if you copy or cut the field that you want to edit inside the table design window and then paste it again it retains all of the data in the field and allows the user to edit it.

If the field you just cut and pasted is the prime key then you can then rt-click the field and remove the prime key from that field and add it to another field after cutting and pasting it.

Another thing until they fix the problem is when editing a table. Cut all of the fields in the table using shift-select or ctrl-select and repaste them. It will allow you to change the data in all fields including the primary key (until save).

I don't know what this does to relationships however.
cptcave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: sorry about primary key Reply with quote

scratch that primary key cannot be changed. If the primary key is changed it reports and error when trying to save. Will try to mess with it some more.
evershade
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: copy > paste Reply with quote

hey cptcave,

a good solution for editing the fields, but it kills all the data in the column (xp sp2)... not so good... i guess you could create a dummy table as earlier suggested, update the names as cptcave suggests, then append the data back from the dummy table.

an alternative, on windows at least, is to rename the file by replacing the .odb extension with .zip

you can then open the zipped file and search around in the xml stuff. the db script is in a folder called 'database' and the sql can be edited with a text editor. this is how i managed to apend data to a primary key with autoincrement.

anyway, rename the fields in the CREATE TABLE statements, zip the folder back up and rename it with a .odb

reopening it you'll find your column names the way you want them. this seems to suggest that it should be possible for the OOo base interface to do something similar... any takers?

:o)
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9.74 - can't edit table once created Reply with quote

evershade wrote:
using the new base application hsqldb format, i don't seem to be able to alter my table definitions once i've created them. i can add new fields but all old ones appear to be locked (name, data type, and description)

I reported this as an issue: http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=45620 and was told it was not a bug because the bundled database does not support it.

I am afraid that annoyed me sufficiently to re-open the bug. (see the last comment). Have I over-reacted?
jmdavid
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you were right.

It IS a bug. It can be a reason for not to use OODataBase !
Imagine that once saved, you can't edit any text in Word, Bill Gates would fire all Microsoft employees.
I'm trying Access (an old 97 release) thought I'd prefer continue with OO.
Think I'll report it once more.
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has had a change of heart over my report, and now it's a duplicate of http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=41785, scheduled for 2.0.1 . I've had my say...
Lazy-legs
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to know that the issue has been addressed, even though we have to wait for 2.0.1.

Kind regards,
Dmitri
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpop wrote:
It's nice to know that the issue has been addressed, even though we have to wait for 2.0.1.
Really good news: it's been retargetted to 2.0: http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=41785

Well done, lads & lassies, and many thanks
rogerk
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue has been marked as fixed in the Issue Tracker, but I still have the same problem when connecting with hsqldb JDBC. Does anybody else experience this? I'm connecting with the driver supplied with OOo.
Ind-pc-student
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: how do I created a database without a lock file? Reply with quote

When i created a database in the oo.org base application after i closed the file without creating a table, after i opened the database all buttons where greyed out.

after i used the windws explorer and saw two files a example1.odb and a example1.lck

I used a delete stubborn file application and deleted on boot the example1.lck and then I was able to create and edit tables and fill in reccords.

The question is how do I create a database without the .lck file and how do I avoid it?

what creates this .lck file?
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The *.lck file is created by HSQLDB. It should also be unlinked by the same, and if not it should be ignored if the *.lck is past a specified threashhold age when that database file next opens. For the most part this has been true on my machine. With a rare exception.

One of the reasons for .lck file is to support multiple users, as the database engine was ready to do this, OO has choosen to nix that function in Base Evil or Very Mad I suppose the remainng uses still held.

I don't think you could get rid of it, short of going into the source for HSQLDB. But that is just speculation (and not particularly educated speculation) on my part.

Drew
Ind-pc-student
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I erased it by using a stuborn file eraser move on boot reboot and no .lck file that was all
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is supposed to be created when the databse is open, and removed when it is shutdown. So removing one copy doesnot stop the next from being created, it is just that you should never see it accept when the engine is actually connected.

I have found that if you open a db file and everything is greyed out, this is the cause. Don't know why every now and then it just keeps the thing alive, accept for one instance.

If you create a connecton in code, ooBasic say, and fail to close that connecton by disposing of the connecton object variable, the .lck file will persist until OO.o is completely shutdown, which includes quickstarter.

Drew
lgabiot
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I still have the issue of not being able to edit a table which was created a while ago.
So the bug still exist in Ooo2.0 despite of it's fixed state?
Does anyone else experience this?

Best regards,

Laurent.
lgabiot
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump...

Do you still have this problem with Ooo 2.0???
am I the only one? is there a workaround?

Quote:
using the new base application hsqldb format, i don't seem to be able to alter my table definitions once i've created them. i can add new fields but all old ones appear to be locked (name, data type, and description).

i can edit the table data with no trouble at all.

am i missing something or is this a limitation?

best regards,

Laurent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: