OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Field - Insert Creation Date - Getting that value to update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesguilw
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Field - Insert Creation Date - Getting that value to update Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the creation date field in OpenOffice 2.0. The thing is:
    1. I create a new document and I insert a creation date field in it and I save it.

2. Then I do a save as and save it to a new document. Problem: the date field doesn't change! (no I didn't do the "Save As..." the same day Wink ). Even worst, if I delete the field and insert a new one it still displays the date of the old document, the one I made the save as from!

Is that normal? In my opinion the field shouldn't behave this way but I might be wrong...

Will
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. The created date should not change. What you want is the date modified field.
lesguilw
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the creation date SHOULD change, I want the creation date of my new document to be exact, not being the one of the old document.

If I use the field "Modification date" then the date will change each time I make a change in my document, and that's not what I want.

Am I clear enough?

Will
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you must create a new document today and it will have today's creation date. Then insert your old document into the new one.

If you right-click on any file in Windows Explorer and look at the file properties you will see three dates:

1. Created
2. Modified
3. Accessed

Open Office will get the date for the creation date code from the file bytes that display item 1. What you're saying is that when you use "Save As" it should get the bytes from item 2 then, and then only. After that it should again get the bytes from item 1.

Does that make it clear why you must create a new document today to get today's creation date? I think the current behaviour in Open Office is best, and I am sure that the developers thought about this, but I can see why you think that "Save As" should create a new document with today's creation date, as that is what happens with Windows Notepad or Wordpad.

I cannot compare using Word, but WordPerfect clears the creation date flag when doing a "Save As" using today's date as the creation date. The interface allows you to modify the creation date under "File Porperties." That doesn't seem to be possible in Open Office.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create your basic document such as a letterhead and do Insert > Fileds > Other (or Ctrl+F2) > Document tab. Left - Date, center - Date (Fixed) and Right - your choice. Save this document as a template (.ott). Each time the template is use for a new letter the date will assume the current date. When your letter is thereafter reopened it will retain the actual creation date.
lesguilw
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... I know it would be better to use templates and actually I am. The documents I work on are templates containing macros that modify things when I create new document from them such as metadatas and a few other things.

I am making many standard documents for my company, I need a template for each type of document so what I am doing is a "Save As" of a genral template to a new one because the macros, dialogs and styles are common but the content is different.

It would have been good to be able to reset the creation date if you want it. But I will do as you say JohnV and use fixed date fields instead of creation date fields.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This freeware utility allows the user to modify a file's creation date from Windows Explorer.

Prperties Plus

The home page is no longer available, so I put it on my own webspace.

lesguilw
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bhikkhu Pesala but the weird thing is that the creation date seen in explorer is the right one (the date of the "Save As" action) but OpenOffice doesn't use it, it uses instead the one that is stored in the original OpenDocument file in XML. Changing the "system" creation date won't help, I need to change the "OpenOffice" creation date Sad

But many thanks for the help and the software, I will use it for other stuff anyway.

Will
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: