OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Base newby: Linking to external spreadsheet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dschmider
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Base newby: Linking to external spreadsheet Reply with quote

OK, I am trying to convert from Access/Excel, but a couple of features are either hidden or unsupported in ooo that suprises me..

Basically, I edit an Excel file (cos it has pivot tables etc in it) and then to print it onto a specific form (made of paper - not on PC Wink ) I link to the excel sheet from a report that is loaded from a query in Access. This query is linked to my excel file.
As I open the report, it prompts me to enter the month & year.. eg "September 2005" then it trundles off and loads my Report with just my records that contain "September 2005" in a particular field.

Basically, It appears I cannot link a table to external data (even an oos file) or indeed provide a prompt in the query for the user to enter.

Is this actually possible?
I hope so as I need to try to make my db available for people who do not own the full microsoft suite.

Thanks in advance
David Cool
dschmider
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... I take that as a NO then?!
Crying or Very sad
pitonyak
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that you can do the same thing as a pivot table in Calc, but it has a different name, data pilot perhaps. I have seen the question asked and answerd on the user mailing list but I do not use the functionality so I paid little attention.

You can link a Base document to a spreadsheet, you simply need to set the data as in an external file. Are you attempting to do somehting different?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dschmider
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitonyak wrote:

You can link a Base document to a spreadsheet, you simply need to set the data as in an external file. Are you attempting to do somehting different?

Thanx for replying.
I have finally managed to link to the spreadsheet which was easy from the startup wizard (once I'd figured it out), and I've also managed to run a query.
However, I only can get it to run when I fill in the query in design mode.
What I really would like, is to have in the criteria a launching of a prompt for a particular field so that it will run the querie base on that choice.

Thanx again
David
pitonyak
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the help pages (Press F1). Look at the Base help pages and sear for the following help

queries;parameter queries

You want to use a parameter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: