OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

What we need INSTEAD of an OOo Viewer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DannyB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: What we need INSTEAD of an OOo Viewer Reply with quote

I have had an insight today.

There has been a lot of discussion about needing an OOo Viewer...

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2442

You know what it is we need instead of, or maybe in addition to a viewer?

Import / Export filters.

Yep.

Import and Export filters that allow Microsoft Office to read and write OOo documents.

Re-read that last sentence.

Much of the argument for a viewer stems from the fact that we can't mail an SXW or SXC document to an MS Office user without converting it to their closed format.

Imagine if instead of saying... (1) download and install the huge OOo suite. OR (2) download some OOo viewer [if it existed], or (3) I'll re-send it in Word format... imagine if you could say...

Go to this link and download the OOo import filter. It's small and easy to install into MS Office.
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny

I agree totally. However, there I see 2 problems here. The first is that, unlike subscribers to this forum, many PC users have neither the interest nor the brains to do anything other than double-click then scratch their heads when it doesn't open.

The other issue, I would suggest, is the importation into MS Office of filters that have not been created by MS. I think they might take a dim view of their sofwtare being "corrupted?" in this way.

Your idea is very interesting, however. Perhaps a compromise would be say a mini "pack and go" facility, like with a Powerpoint presentation. Is it technically feasible to do something like this, in the absence of a viewer, or would it make the files unacceptably large?

Ian
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think I read about import/export filters for Word on www.openoffice.org, but I wouldnt be surprised if the project was still only a dream.

Butt still, a viewer would probably show the file 100% correct, and the fillter would probably make the same errors we know from the OOo import/export filters.

Another thing is .. OOo cannot embed fonts in documents, so a viewer will fail anyway.. hmm... They need to improve the already existing PDF export...

OOo 2.0.4 on rock solid Windows 2000 (English, SP4)
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Danny,

I have no idea about the feasibility of your idea but I'm curious about the lack of another solution.

There seems be be no web site that will translate an OO/SO file into any format that OO/SO can produce. Is it that difficult to set up a site that will let you upload a file, ask what format you want your output in, run OO on the file and save to the requested format and then let the user download the new file?
DannyB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
There seems be be no web site that will translate an OO/SO file into any format that OO/SO can produce. Is it that difficult to set up a site that will let you upload a file, ask what format you want your output in, run OO on the file and save to the requested format and then let the user download the new file?

A web site could be set up. It is not that difficult, in concept.

The SDK provides a Java servlet that does document translation. The technique for how to translate via. the API is well understood. (If not, see the SDK examples, see my Document Converter, and see some of my other posts in the Macros and API section.)

How to script OOo from Java is well understood. So a Java servlet or even code written directly into a JSP page could drive an OOo conversion. Probably a servlet would be needed. A daemon would also be needed. Since you only want to access OOo on a single thread (see other discussion in Macros and API section) you would need to quene/dequeue conversion requests that a single thread processes.

Still, such a thing could be set up. It is really just a question of two things.
1. Who would want to do it? And host it?
2. What users would feel comfortable sending their documents through an untrusted third party web site for conversion? Obviously, I'm not going to send, say, my Customer List or my Reseller Price Schedule through such a web site for translation.

That is why I think a user friendly approach like my Document Converter macro with an auto pilot like UI is what will get greater use.
Gabor
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: There is a site like that Reply with quote

There is a site which does that type of online translation but the hosting is a problem there, too, as it comes out from the words of the author Laurent GODARD.

See the site where the conversion may be done:
http://oooconv.free.fr/engine/OOOconv.php

See his explanation and problems here:
http://oooconv.free.fr/engine/HowToConv.php

See the site from where it my be downlnoaded:
http://oooconv.free.fr/
This is French, but if you scroll down to BatchConv you download the converter as a separate doc.

I downloaded it and tried it before I asked for help in respect of a batch converter. Then DannyB wrote his for the benefit of all those who regularly have to translate a lot of files into other formats. Like me. Small ones but 5 to 15 daily.

With Danny's DocConverter which may be downloaded from:
http://kosh.datateamsys.com/~danny/OOo/Tools/
its just one click to start and at most 4-5 until I get the whole bunch of files is converted.

With BatchConv one has to introduce all files individually to the list to be converted (if he/she does not forget about half of them). And the time!

Back to the online conversion. The site does not always work. Just now e.g. it gives and error message. For those files which are actually unimportant in respect of personal privacy or business aspects it could be great, but even though I myself seldom have files which could be so precious and my language (Hungarian, and obscure E-European one) is surely incomprehensible for outsiders, I would not like to post my files out to the wild world.

So, IMHO, a great job would be if someone could write a counterpart of Danny's converter. Conterpart in a sense that it would be an independent MS file which could be downloaded from a site easily and if an OO user decided to send his native OO files to someone who may not have OO, then he/she could either attach this MS file himself or add the URL where it may be downloaded from.

Obviously all this may be avoided by a simple "save as" or (in case of several files) by using Danny's DocConverter.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabor,
Thanks for pointing out this site. I tried it but got a time out message. I'll try another time.

At least someone is working on this type of solution which can at least help those without OO that get an OO file sent to them. Their solution now is to download OO or ask one of use to preform the conversion. I did one of these for mom's 300 page novel which the submitor thought was easier than trying to get mom to save in Word format. Not for sensitive docs for sure - by the way, for a first try, the novel wasn't bad. Smile
DannyB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
I did one of these for mom's 300 page novel which the submitor thought was easier than trying to get mom to save in Word format. Not for sensitive docs for sure - by the way, for a first try, the novel wasn't bad. Smile

I would consider a 300 page unpublished novel to be confidential enough to not convert it via. a website owned by an unknown party.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Danny,

You'll get no argument from me. As indicated, I read it without paying for the privilege. In my defense, I did offer to tell son how to talk his mom through saving in Word format but he still wanted me to do the translation. Assuming the son ever read the thing he may have been surprised to find that the old gal spins a pretty good yarn.
vasco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Export do MSOffice Reply with quote

I agree with danny. We need fiters to import Oo files to MSOffice.
In my company we have 1 licencese of MSOffice so we can work in some projects with other companies.

The export option in Oo is not god enough.

I think that even a macro in VBA could easily read the Oo format and create an original MS file. This way we could work in Oo and when we need to send the files to other partners we could made even in our office and send the filter/macro to other companies.

What to you think...?
ftack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very old thread revived ...

An export facility from OOo to Word may not be good enough, but an OOo import filter for Word then would equally be not good enough. Exact translation from one wordprocessor to another simply never has existed and never will exist. This because of the different ways different wordprocessors handle various elements. My feeling is that current reading and writing of Word files in OOo is already impressively good, and since version 1.0, it hase impressively improved further. If you want your destinee to view a document in exactly the layout and appearance you intended, then use PDF. If it needs to be editable, then don't worry about the layout until the doc reaches the final stage. Up to now, the only choice for exchange unfortunately is the closed Word format. RTF is an option but for documents that contain only text. An OOo import filter for MS Word users would be great: it would allow us to exchange our docs in an open file format wiht anyone.
beonex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needn ' t filters to export but I need a Viewer
alitokmen
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Executable exports could in some cases be preferred to viewers... Mostly for Impress!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alitokmen wrote:
Executable exports could in some cases be preferred to viewers... Mostly for Impress!!

improved macromedia flash export, and then view it through any browser
jcarver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Extension of MS Import/Export Features Reply with quote

This is a random n00b idea, I'm curious to hear what you think:

I like some of the ideas here, and I had an idea for an extension of the MS Import/Export Filters idea, that may address some of the mentioned concerns, at least for repeat receivers.

Perhaps the "Save as" MS option could include a macro that offers to "allow your computer to open files from people who use a different version of software (OpenOffice.org)". Which if they clicked yes, would install the filters for them (embedded in the ms .doc file), or if they click no, never bug them about it again.

Obviously, this only individually helps you if you send to the same person multiple times. But it would also help the community in general by installing lots of filters everywhere, and further improving OpenOffice visibility.

Would the filters be too large to make this feasible?[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: