OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Database newb question - OOo and MySQL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corfy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Database newb question - OOo and MySQL Reply with quote

I am learning about databases because my boss has a big project in mind and he wants it put into a database. (I am currently half-way through a class on MS Access, but most of the people he wants to use this database don't have Access, so I am thinking about using Base instead. I haven't told my boss that yet, though.) I am making a few assumptions in this post... feel free to correct any of them.

Since my boss is wanting multiple people to access the database at once (looks like around 8 people, although they wouldn't neccessarily all be using it at the same time), I was thinking about setting up a MySQL database and using Base to connect to it. I assume that system would be more robust for multiple users.

However, I have never tried setting up a database to use an "external" data source before (heck, I haven't made a database outside of the classroom yet... at least not successfully). I just wanted to know how it "worked." I assume the tables will be in the MySQL database and the forms, queries, and reports will be in a Base file? (This is what I mean by "how it worked".) If that is the case, can multiple people open the Base file, or does everyone have to have their own copy of the Base file?

On a side note, will Base connect to an MS SQL database? I figured since MySQL was specifically listed as a connection for Base, and since MySQL is free, I would use that, but we do have a MS SQL database server running already at the office (actually, 2 of them). I don't know how protective MS is about other programs connecting to their SQL database.

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate having this forum here where I can ask dumb questions like this.
pitonyak
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds to me like you are correct on every count. I recommend that you use JDBC rather than ODBC to connect to the MySQL database.

there have been reports of people being unable to modify a MySQL database from Base. I can not comment on this since I have only used it to access and/or extract data from a MySQL database using JDBC.

Because you will be having multiple simultaneous users, be certain to use a table type that supports transactions (depending on the usage patterns, of course).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Corfy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitonyak wrote:
I recommend that you use JDBC rather than ODBC to connect to the MySQL database.

So you don't recommend using the "Connect to an Existing Database -> MySQL" setting? Or is "MySQL" the same as "ODBC", just with a different name? To be honest, it is 6 one, half dozen the other as far as I'm concerned, mainly because I don't know what any of them mean, but the "MySQL" setting was the one I would have used.

Edit - Nevermind... I see what you mean. Sorry.

And thanks for the info. It is one thing to guess how software works, but real world can be very different.
pitonyak
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that using the MySQL setting will do as you desire. You need to be certain that you download the JDBC driver for it, however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: