OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Brochure and margins in OpenOffice.org Draw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lands.wilmoth
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Brochure and margins in OpenOffice.org Draw Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been trying to print my A5 OpenOffice.org Draw brochures, but I've been experiencing a problem with the margins. First, I perform the following steps to get my A5 brochures to print on A4 pages:

1) Design each page as A5 with all margins at 1.5cm
2) Open the File|Print dialog
3) Set the Properties|Paper Size to A4 and Orientation to Landscape
<click OK to go back>
4) Set the Options|Brochure|Front (only) to be checked
<click OK to go back>
3) Click Ok to print my brochure

The result is that the front side of my brochure prints. However, (viewing the page in landscape) the top and bottom margins are 1.9cm, the right margin is 1.8cm, and the left margin is 2.6cm! The inside margin (between the two A5 pages) is 2.8cm. This is clearly not correct.

The result that I am expecting is for all the outer margins to be 1.5cm and the inside margin (between the two A5 pages) to be 3cm.

Do you know what is happening, and/or do you have some suggestions? I've tried everything, and I'm beginning to think this is a bug with OpenOffice.org Draw.

Thanks.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)
textExpanser

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be this is an error of Open Office.. But I think, that your printer adds "hardware" margins to the document's sheet.
I have 3 such options:
1) software Print dialog (like the "Reduce/Fit to printer margins" option in Acrobat)
2) printer can reduce document to fit it in hardware margins (the option in the printer settings)
3) printer can scale document 25%-400% addiionally

To print with the real margins, I should to change all these options: "not fit", "not reduce", 100%.
Also page can be shifted for some millimetters (about 5) by printer's mechanism. So, I should shift the page content left or right by 5 mm to comensate printer's shifting.
lands.wilmoth
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Maybe... but I don't think so... Reply with quote

textExpanser wrote:
May be this is an error of Open Office.. But I think, that your printer adds "hardware" margins to the document's sheet.

That's what I thought at first too. However, I performed a test by setting up an A4 page with 1.5cm margins. Then I drew an empty box outlining the margins (i.e. all four corners of the box are at the four corners of the margins). When I print this, all the sides of the box (i.e. the margins) are 1.53cm from the edge of the page. So, my conclusion would be that my printer is not interfering or adding hardware margins. That leads me to think it has something to do with OO.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)
Guest 2.0
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried printing to/exporting a PDF? At the very least, this could give you more clues as to whether it is something within OOo. If it works, just print from Acrobat/AdobeReader. I don't know what OS you're using though, so you may not be able to try this.
lands.wilmoth
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Tried that too... Reply with quote

Guest 2.0 wrote:
Have you tried printing to/exporting a PDF?

Yep. Tried that too. I'm using SuSE Linux 9.2 so I tried printing the PDF version with KGhostView and Acrobat Reader. Either I'm missing something, or for some reason neither of those programs will let me print my booklet with the right A5 pages side-by-side. I've also tried printing my OpenOffice.org Draw files using a WinXP PC and OpenOffice.org Draw for Windows, with same results as described previously. And, to top it off, I've also tried using a Windows version of Acrobat Reader to print the PDF versions with the same results as under Linux.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: