OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

opening excel spreadsheets very slow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwd1
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: opening excel spreadsheets very slow Reply with quote

Hi all,
since my organization went to OO 2.0, trying to openl MS Excel produced spreadsheets has become very difficult. Calc gets to the "calculating" stage and then sometimes hangs up for many minutes. (400Mz Sun ultra5). One spreadsheet was stuck in the calculating mode for several hours. I actually killed the process and opened the spreadsheet on a PC. It opened in a few seconds.

I don't think I had this problem before the upgrade to 2.0.
thanks for any advice
Ken
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

Does it happen with all spreadsheets or just some? What is the size of the spreadsheet? Also, try the OpenOffice.org 2.0.1 release candidate from < http://download.openoffice.org >.

If your problem exists in that version, you may want to file a bug report < http://qa.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectIssues >. Be sure to mention which previous version worked better. If some spreadsheets are worse than others, you may want to attach your spreadsheet to the issue. If your spreadsheet is confidential, in the bug report you can ask the developers for an e-mail address to send the spreadsheet to.

Also if the problem persist, you can use an older OpenOffice.org or Gnumeric.
ld101

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having sort of the same problem. I'm using the latest version. This not only happens with large Excel files, but also Calc .ods native files.
I'm using on Windows XP, 2.53Ghz, 768MB DDR RAM. Excel opens the files in less than a minute, while Calc takes about 10 minutes.

Do you think not using XLM for Calc files will speed things up? What else do you recommend?

Thanks. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: