OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Graphics - Linked and saved in document?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rene.Ksuz
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Graphics - Linked and saved in document? Reply with quote

Hi,

does anyone know if it is possible in OOo Writer to insert a graphic per link and have this graphic saved in the document like in M$ Word?

I want to insert a graphic as a link, but I want to send this document to other people, who don't have the same directories. When they open the document, the won't see any graphics, because the link points to a location, where no file can be found.

Therefore I would like to do it the way I can do it in Word. There you can insert a graphic per Link, but still have to option to save the image in the document. So you can send the document to other people and get the advantages of linked graphics.

Thanks in advance,
Rene
ftack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick test reveals to me that, if you move the text document and the images to another place, then the links with the particulat files are preserved. Otherwise said, internally, the links to the images seem to be stored as relative links. Suppose you store the images in an IMG directory in the dir where your doc resides, then make sure your recipient also has the images stored in an img directory in the same dir where the doc resides. This behaviour gives you the best of both worlds: you can edit the images and they are automatically updated in the doc, and you keep the actual document size to a minimum. I am referring to OOo 2.0. I am not sure wether OOo 1 did use relative paths foir linked graphs.
Rene.Ksuz
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply!

You are right, it would work the same way, people use at webpages for example.

But it won't work for us (I work for a company and I am evaluating if its possible for us to migrate).

Following situation is given:

Workstation1 writes a document and stores it on Drive S (mapped from server) in directory S:\bla\blablblbl\doku\docu.odt

In this document there are linked files to pictures on Drive M: (mapped from server).

Now you see the problem ... it wouldn't work.

I can't copy all the images to the directories because the are used in multiple documents. So one had to change multiple pictures, if one pictures changes.

I hope I am able to clearify what I mean, otherwise please just ask Smile

Kind regards,
Rene
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: