OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

WinXP wrong OS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vann
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: WinXP wrong OS? Reply with quote

I don't see a choice in the download area for WinXp, so I click on Windows. This appears to install the version for win32. Does anyone use that anymore??? When I try to open OO I get the message, "Wrong OS or OS version for application".
Also, where is the actual .exe file that will open the program? The choices I see are;
instmsia.exe
instmsiw.exe
setup.exe
With either of the first two I get the Wrong OS message. The last one is a ton of files, but no exe that I could see, and is obviously the setup.
I'm new to OpenOffice and had high hopes for it to replace MS Works database which has lost it's liscense....whatever that means.....and continually tells me i'm out of memory when I try to print. A common problem from what I've seen on forums, but one with no solution.
WindowsXP home sp2
Thanks for any help
vann
Simon Trucker
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you tried the big green download button, in the middle of this page, which takes you to http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.1/ ?

You then read the link about md5sum verification, which is at the bottom right corner of that page.

Unless you already have the Java Runtime Environment installed, you clicked the download for windows(incJRE)? You then, obviously, verified the integrity of your download?

I had absolutely no problems at all, downloading OOo onto my Windows XP Pro, SP2 machine and installing it. It runs very well to, no problems. Due to that, I'm afraid I didn't pay that much attention to how everything went together, so if you did all that, I'm afraid I can't help you. But its always worth checking that you didn't miss something.

A couple of ideas you might want to look at.

When downloading and installing a programme, it is often worth switching off your AV. Sometimes they pick up on parts of the programme and drop it in Quarantine, without you noticing. I didn't have to switch mine off BTW (I use AVG).

There might possibly be a conflict with M$ Works, but I don't think I've seen anything about that, you might consider a search on it though.
katie
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: WinXP wrong OS? Reply with quote

vann wrote:
I don't see a choice in the download area for WinXp, so I click on Windows. This appears to install the version for win32.

I think that what you are thinking about here is the old/old Windows 3.1---- This is actually referring to all the Windows versions that are 32-bit. (That's the one you want- XP is 32-bit)

Quote:
Also, where is the actual .exe file that will open the program? The choices I see are;
instmsia.exe
instmsiw.exe
setup.exe
With either of the first two I get the Wrong OS message. The last one is a ton of files, but no exe that I could see, and is obviously the setup.
Thanks for any help
vann

I'm not quite sure what you are encountering here---- but, indeed, all three of those are executable files----- Double-click on the one named "setup.exe" and the magic should begin-- That is the setup program that installs & sets up OpenOffice.

So, double-click on it and let us know how you make out. If you don't have JRE (Java Runtime Environment) on your computer, it will let you know. (It used to be that JRE was optional for some features to run--- but with it on the machine, I haven't paid much attention to it in the last few version installs).

You mention that you are hoping that OOo might replace the database on your old version of Works--- I'm assuming you are trying to install the version 2.0.1--- so it does include a database.

Good luck-- the people around here are very helpful,
katie
9point9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your problem is that you have actually got it installed but haven't foudn the Start Menu entries for it. They should be under OpenOffice.org 2.0.

The directory on your desktop is only the files extracted by the installer. They can be safely deleted. Do keep the installer though.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
vann
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon Trucker wrote:
I take it you tried the big green download button, in the middle of this page, which takes you to http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.1/ ?
Yes, I did.

You then read the link about md5sum verification, which is at the bottom right corner of that page.

Well, I saw, I looked, I had no clue what it was about or for. When I looked at the explaination I was even more confused. I haven't touched DOS in years. It's a little like the old saying, "Beware of occassions that require new clothes". Any program that requires me to know how to program to use it, I say "beware". Wink

Unless you already have the Java Runtime Environment installed, you clicked the download for windows(incJRE)? You then, obviously, verified the integrity of your download?
I already have Java so did not click on that choice. Just the plain Windows. How does one verify the integrity of a download?

I had absolutely no problems at all, downloading OOo onto my Windows XP Pro, SP2 machine and installing it. It runs very well to, no problems. Due to that, I'm afraid I didn't pay that much attention to how everything went together, so if you did all that, I'm afraid I can't help you. But its always worth chec
king that you didn't miss something.

As it's turned out, I didn't have any problem downloading and installing either. I just didn't know it. As 9point9 pointed out, I was looking in the wrong place for starting the programs. I still wonder why I got the pop up saying 'Wrong OS or OS version for application', though. Because of that pop up I installed and uninstalled 3 times when all along I probably had the program.

A couple of ideas you might want to look at.

When downloading and installing a programme, it is often worth switching off your AV. Sometimes they pick up on parts of the programme and drop it in Quarantine, without you noticing. I didn't have to switch mine off BTW (I use AVG).

I also use AVG and didn't turn it off...no problem there. Smile

There might possibly be a conflict with M$ Works, but I don't think I've seen anything about that, you might consider a search on it though.

Except for not being able to import my data base from MS to OO I dont think there is a conflict. A pop up said there could be a possible driver problem in MS. I'm just beginning to read through everything and try things out so I don't know what may happen. So far, I'm liking it.

Thank you so much Simon, Katie, and 9point9. I really was at my witts end and your calm, informative responses are much appreciated.
Simon Trucker
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm glad you got it all sorted out in the end, more or less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: