OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Beginners - Example Database - Base Tutorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lidyon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok! That was very helpful, Thanks! but I still have some problems:
Quote:

Switch back to our form and turn design mode off. Add the following employee's data.
Code:

First Name   Last Name    Middle Name      Department      SupervisorID
John              Smith                                              Sales                       0
Bob               Wilson             Thomas                Mrktng                     0
Carla             Mattson          Samantha             IT                             0

That should be enough. Save our form and run the query qrySupervisors. Woops, what is with this:

I simply did not realize how I could do it, I re-opened the form in the form field from base main window, selected "edit" from context menu and then turned the design view off, but how do I insert these values??? And after , how do i run the query???
ToVeR
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My going through the tutorial ended at the same point. I found on the forum (this thread) that the data from these persons needs to be entered BEFORE the ListBox is created (I am wondering why it is BEHIND the creation of the database then). However, even knowing this, I cannot procede. In the data field in the form for the Department/DepartmentID, I can only enter INTEGERS. Which is hardly usefull when the departments have names.

I think some clarification of that part would help me, and some other people here.
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right...I am in the process of looking at the post as a whole and will be putting up both an updated version here and a version as a pdf file.

A number of people have been bothered with the listbox section.

I will actually put up the report(s) also..should be this week sometime.

Thanks to everyone for all the feed back.

Drew
dgermann
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Can my dream come true? Reply with quote

Drew and everybody--

I played with Base a bit before I came here and found your wonderful tutorial. I want to work my way through it.

Before I put a lot of time into Base, can you tell me if my dream for this app is realistic?

I want to do a project time billing database. That is what I played around with, and I see it has a selection for something like that already set up. Great I thought.

Now the question is this: if the projects are on-going and the customers are billed monthly, is there a way to make sure:

1. month 2 does not inclued month 1 time entries;

2 the month 1 previously billed total is picked up on the statements for month 2; and

3. . Any payments made by the customer during month 2 are deducted before coming up with the balance owed at the end of month 2?

Not sure if all that is clear. Say that the month 1 invoice is $1250.55; the month 2 billings are $1,000.00, and the customer pays $1200.00 during month 2. The new bill for month 2 should show:

Previous balance $1,250.55
Less payments 1,200.00
Plus new charges 1,000.00
Balance now due $1,050.55

If this is possible, I presume it requires setting up new fields in the database for such things as prior balance and payments. Can you edit a database once it is set up to add such fields?

Presently I am using Timeslips(R) to do this task, but want to leave Windows behind. It has a task called "finalizing" which marks the slips already billed so they are not rebilled, and updates the balance due figures. Then a second step is required to actually delete the slips billed from the database--this is called "purging." Can something be designed here to do that sort of task?

From what I see of Base and this tutorial, I have reason to hope. And dream it is possible.... Cool

Thanks!
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer to your questions is yes.

You could design a datatbase application in Base that could track that kind of informaton and implement the types of business rules you describe. As for adding fields to a database after it has been made, yes you can do that. How easily you can do it will depend on the original layout of the data tables and on the specifics of what fields you are trying to add.

By any chance is this time billing related to legal work?

Drew
dgermann
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew--

What a quick reply! And the answers I was hoping to hear.

I shall work on this more.

Thanks, Drew!
klemi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have some question for "create the database Form"
I have a database with 4 tabels with two one to Many relationships and one table vor One to one relationships.

When I select "Form Wizard" and after I ordered the fields in the form the next step "Add Subform" checkbox, then I can only select one table for my sub-form. But what is with the other table One-to n relationship and this fields? How can I add the other two tables to a sub-form?

Can someone help me?

Thanks!

Klemi
sabhain
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: List Box Wizard troubles. Reply with quote

Hello,

Thank you very much for your helpful tutorial. I was able to follow it quite well.

The tutorial also helped me discover that I have a problem with one of my installations of OO2. On my laptop, when I create a listbox in a form, the list box wizard pops right up. However, when I create one on my desktop, no wizard appears, the list is just there, and you can right click into the controls, but the wizard thing (which) is most helpful .. doesn't appear.

Is there a setting I need to double check? I've checked for any obvious differences, and both systems are running the same JRE (1.5.0.6) and are similar in general setup. This is all on WinXP at this point .. haven't gotten the Linux side up yet.

Thanks for your help!

DS
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a setting in the form designer actually, so that you can enable or disable wizards..

it is found on the Form Controls toolbar and is the button furthest to the right. It may be that you just inadvertantly turned the wizard off.
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klemi wrote:
Hi,

I have some question for "create the database Form"
I have a database with 4 tabels with two one to Many relationships and one table vor One to one relationships.

When I select "Form Wizard" and after I ordered the fields in the form the next step "Add Subform" checkbox, then I can only select one table for my sub-form. But what is with the other table One-to n relationship and this fields? How can I add the other two tables to a sub-form?

Can someone help me?

Thanks!

Klemi

Take a look at this thread
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=27725&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=add+sub+form

If you still have questions come back and ask, I will try to help, but you should be able to get it from there.

Drew
sabhain
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrewJensen wrote:
There is a setting in the form designer actually, so that you can enable or disable wizards..

it is found on the Form Controls toolbar and is the button furthest to the right. It may be that you just inadvertantly turned the wizard off.

Thanks very much for your help Drew.
DarrenR114
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Using PostgreSQL for this tutorial ... Reply with quote

Greetings.

As I have a particular interest in using PostgreSQL as opposed to HSQLDB (which is VERY good for a lightweight DB and for prototyping) I thought I would post my work as I go for others who also might like to use PostgreSQL with OOo-Base2.

I already posted one thread on what I did to get OOo-Base2 to actually connect to PostgreSQL, so I won't re-hash that here.

In starting the tutorial - the first step was to create the tables. That worked well with the PostgreSQL connector - kind of. Instead of selecting Integer with Autovalue=yes for the Employees.EmployeeID and the Departments.ID, I chose datatype 'serial' for those columns. Within PostgreSQL the necessary sequences are created automatically and the autovalue is also automatic.

For the EmployeePhotos.Photo column, I selected 'bytea' datatype. For the EmployeeNotes.Notes column, I selected 'text' datatype. For the Departments.Department column, I selected 'varchar' datatype. OOo-Base2 would NOT allow me to specify the maximum length for Departments.Department column.

Also, from within OOo-Base2, I could not designate the Primary Keys. So, once I had the basic tables defined as per the tutorial - I saved the .odb file and started up the PostgreSQL admin utility, pgAdmin3. Once I connected to the database, I went into the tables (within the public schema) and added the desired Primary Key constraints to the tables. I saved my work in pgAdmin3 and went back to work on my OOo-Base document. I followed the tutorial instructions for creating the relationships and stopped there. Up to this point there were no crashes with OOo-Base. Cool

More later as I complete the tutorial with PostgreSQL.

Regards to all,

Ren
Verystumbed
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew, I just realized that I should have posted my original thread here. So I copied and pasted it below. I have been working out the Beginners Tutorial, while creating my own database to keep track of my Flower Gardens. I'm stumped because A) I never did understand how to get a picture posted in yours and B) My data base does not have any relationships nor subforms, that might be where my problem is . I have ran into a couple of problems.
1.) I did not create a subform. Will I need a subform to do the followeing. 2.) In my table under the photo field, I see <OBJECT> . Is this correct? 3) In the Form Property I put in a URL addres, and a photo does appear in the form so I know I'm getting closer and I'm getting it but looking at the example, I think I missed something. 4) My auto number is off by one number, It started at zero and I changed that to 1 and that was a mistake because the numbers are off by one. Can I fix this? 5) As I have been practicing, I noticed some forms become read only and some don't. I don't want any of my forms to be read only, because I'm learning. What am I doing that is causing the form to become read only. 6) Is there a reason not to register a database? i Thank you very much for helping me. I really have read and seached and I need some help, Very Stumped.

THIS IS THE PART OF THE Beginers Tutorial EXAMPLE THAT HAS ME STUMPED

Open the Form Navigator dialog.
Select the MainForm object, bring up the pop-up menu and select New>form.
Rename the new form Photo.
Open the form properties dialog for the Photo form.
On the Data tab set the following:

( in your example ( employee notes ) both master and slave has EmployeeID in the master link fields ) ( Should I have created a subform for this to work? Do I need to build a relationship or is this creating the relationship)

Content Type = Table
Content = EmployeePhotos
Navigation Bar = Yes
On the property for Link Master Fields, click on the button labeled ...
This brings up a dialog box with the fields form both employees and employeePhotos, for both table choose the column EmployeeID
RealGrouchy
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent tutorial, Drew. I also had the problem with viewing the form; an upgrade to 2.0.1 solved it.

Would you be averse to it being adapted to a wikibook (en.wikibooks.org)? That way it can be expanded, clarified, updated and organized as necessary.

XPsp2, OOo 2.3, SeaMonkey 1.1.7, IE v.6.6.6...
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not be adverse to it at all...But I am a Bear of limited brain and don't know anything about wiki's..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: