OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Open Office 2.0 and Doc info with Templates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VasMac
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Open Office 2.0 and Doc info with Templates Reply with quote

I am having trouble using the inserting "doc information" fields in a template. These fields are the "user define fields" under the document properties setting menu.

Actually inserting into the template works fine. But when using the template to create a text document these field's data do not exist in the text Doc. All "user entered" information from the properties menu box is not exported from the template to the text doc. This informaion includes the user defined: info fields, Title, Subject , comments etc.

The Comment Field is especially important to export from the template to the created doc, since in this field one may desire to place instructions for the user to have with the doc, from the template, to aid in using the doc . Example: if you were generating forms for a business. All forms require instructions and hence would be nice to have visible with the document.

Also, this function would be very helpful for re-use. Hence one could make a single template style and then generate individual templates with just modifying these fields in each individual template properties menu box.

I have tried work-arounds as to start off editing the template and then save as a text file, but here the other inserted fields (author, date, time, sender) when added as "fixed" property are "sticky" with the template author's data and not the Text document author's data.

I would be much thankful if somone could help with guidance towards finding a setting that may accomodate this mode.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's possible to use templates to do this. You could fill in the user fields, comments, etc. and save as a basic document. Then, when you need to create a new document with the same user fields and comments, etc., open the basic document and immediately use "save as" to save the new document with a different name. You could then proceed to edit the new document, leaving the basic document unchanged. You could also make your basic documents "read only" to keep them from being accidently edited.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Office 2.0 and Doc info with Templates Reply with quote

VasMac wrote:
I have tried work-arounds as to start off editing the template and then save as a text file, but here the other inserted fields (author, date, time, sender) when added as "fixed" property are "sticky" with the template author's data and not the Text document author's data.

I should have read this more carefully. Apparently you have already tried my suggestion. I don't know how to work around this problem.

You could put instructions as hidden text in your document templates. Then you could hide or show the text in your documents as required.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you are correct that the document information fields are not transfered when a doc is saved as a template.

You can put all the info you want in a frame and set the frame not to print on its Option tab.

This thread might help with other things.
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=16689
jeanweber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Office 2.0 and Doc info with Templates Reply with quote

VasMac wrote:
I am having trouble using the inserting "doc information" fields in a template. These fields are the "user define fields" under the document properties setting menu.

Actually inserting into the template works fine. But when using the template to create a text document these field's data do not exist in the text Doc. All "user entered" information from the properties menu box is not exported from the template to the text doc. This informaion includes the user defined: info fields, Title, Subject , comments etc.
<snip>
I would be much thankful if somone could help with guidance towards finding a setting that may accomodate this mode.

What version of OOo are you using, and on what OS?

If I recall correctly, the OOoAuthors team was using this technique successfully in 1.1.4 (all OS), but it didn't work in some of the betas of 2.0. I thought we'd filed a bug report and that the problem had been fixed, but perhaps not. (More likely, I am misremembering something.) Let me do a bit of research and get back to you.
VasMac
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Template stuff - thanks for all responses Reply with quote

Yes, this function was working with version 1.1.4 of OO. Any further information on if this is a bug being a worked on, or if it is actually a new feature would be helpful?

The suggestion of adding a hidden frame, I will explore for other applications as well.

I also notice some other differences bewteen the two releases:

1)I was having a problem with the number format NOT being retained in a table once I transitioned to version 2.0 of OO. Even after porting the docs to 2.0, the number format for a cell in the table would not "stick" from the previous time which I selected a number format. This was resolved by enabling the "number Recognition" option. I would have assume (just my preference) that this would have been the default setting hence allowing smooth migration to 2.0. The difficulty with the resolution of enabling this feature, was that there was NOT a pull down menu with this item (enable number recognition) as a selection but rather the user had to right click the mouse over over the table and then this selection option was available. I would prefer to have all settings and options also available on the tool bar (or any bar) (just my preference of one stop shopping).

2) The insert field options have become more robust in version 2.0. I notice the "fixed" option. I call this the sticky option. It took me a while to understand how this works in templates vs in documents. Some things I notice:
a)When setting the Sticky option in a template for a field, the field value sticks every time you open the template (not surprising), But when generating a doc from a template the field resets it's sticky-ness for each new document. This is a good thing - works well.
b) When setting the Sticky option for the "sender" info or date fields etc, this seems to be the same as selcting the Author info fields without sticky set. Not sure why both are now required.
c)Also I can not figure out, when setting the author field to sticky, what would be accomplished since sticky is implied in the author selction (first time the doc is created and saved). Possibly I have over-looked something here. If I am observing correctly, then inserting an Author field should just be another instantiation of "sender" info with Sticky on.
d)For the insertion of fields for the templates fields (note template info fields are a set of fields under the catagory template in the insert field menu), I am a little confused. Even when one is not editing a template these fields are available and the sticky (fixed) option is not available. Why would this be available if you are not editing a template, possibly there is a reason, But should not the sticky setting always be applied as default not the opposite? Yah, just sematics I guess.
e) For insertion of a template info field into a template, I can not insert the field "template>filename". when I try to do so, I just see the the word "Template" insert with out any field designator following it. Possible I have something broken such as a missing directory.
f) I think it would be a nice feature to have the template fields such as file name and REVISION iavailable to nsert into a template. And these template fields, should be inserted as sticky-sticky (fixed-fixed). In other words, they stick at the template level and do not ever change, even when generating a new Document hence sticky-sticky.

Just my experieces with these fields - I am interested in your experiences and how you use them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: