OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OpenOffice as service in unix ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanperd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice as service in unix ?? Reply with quote

Hello,
I need to know how to configure Open Office as a service in Unix (Solaris exactly) without to require a graphic console when the service up.
I'm trying to do that in a shell:

OpenOffice.org1.1.4/program/soffice -invisible "-accept=socket,host=localhost,port=8100;urp;StarOff
ice.NamingService" &

But appears this error if a graphic console doesn´t exist or doesn´t open:

OpenOffice.org1.1.4/program/soffice.bin X11 error: Can't open display:
Set DISPLAY environment variable, use -display option
or check permissions of your X-Server
(See "man X" resp. "man xhost" for details)

Is there other way to do it?? ... I clarify that Open office service must be listening in the port 8100 and hidden.

Thanks
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution is Xvfb, a "fake" X server.

Code:

#/bin/bash
unset XAUTHORITY
DISPLAY=:1000
/usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb $DISPLAY -screen 0 1024x800x24 &
openoffice.org -accept=foo # use whichever paramters you need
killall Xvfb
topophilia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Xvfb fake server Reply with quote

Thanks for info above ahz, but would you be able to decipher these errors caused by the script above:

Code:

_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/localhost.topophilia.co.uk:1000
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

I get a feeling this is a problem with my server being incorrectly configured... well I did install X myself so it's more than likely!

Thanks for your help
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Xvfb fake server Reply with quote

topophilia wrote:
well I did install X myself so it's more than likely!

Why don't you try Xvfb, a "fake" X server, as ahz recommended it?

Did you try any other application with your installed X server? Are there similar problems or is OOo the only application causing the above mentioned "_XSERV*"-errors?

With kind regards
hol.sten
topophilia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Xvfb fake server Reply with quote

hol.sten wrote:
topophilia wrote:
well I did install X myself so it's more than likely!

Why don't you try Xvfb, a "fake" X server, as ahz recommended it?

Yeah, this is what I'm trying to run, the script as ahz showed before. I *think* Xvfb is part of X.

hol.sten wrote:
Did you try any other application with your installed X server? Are there similar problems or is OOo the only application causing the above mentioned "_XSERV*"-errors?

No I haven't.

It's our web server and I only have command line ssh access so haven't had the need to run any GUI based applications. I'm trying to get a tool called jooreports running.

Would you be able to suggest some easy to install + easy to dispose of apps that use X? Or is there a status dump tool for X?

Thanks very much for your help, I'm not new to unix, just X, so please excuse my dumbness.
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Xvfb fake server Reply with quote

topophilia wrote:
I *think* Xvfb is part of X.

Wrong. Xvfb can be used INSTEAD of X. If you have a web server and you don't need a GUI, use Xvfb and you will never see anything.

The advantage of Xvfb is, that it is much smaller than an X server and needs fewer resources.

It is also possible to install an X server and Xvfb. So I would recommend now for you:
1) Stop the X server
2) Install Xvfb
3) Go ahead with ahz's recommendation of using Xvfb

With kind regards
hol.sten
hagen00
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a comment on Xvfb

I use OO.org to do conversions from PPT to JPEG amongst other things and tried using an Xvfb server for a while. The quality of the JPEG's was very poor though, no matter how much i fiddled with the settings. I then did a full Gnome install and the quality was great.

So maybe i just couldn't figure out how to configure Xvfb properly, but in my case, where i was doing conversions, Xvfb was not the answer to my problems.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Xvfb fake server Reply with quote

topophilia wrote:

Would you be able to suggest some easy to install + easy to dispose of apps that use X? Or is there a status dump tool for X?

Search for xwd and xwud: they should be able to dump the Xvfb display to a file and then display it somewhere else. Also, my X server (X.org) includes xclock which would be good for testing Xvfb.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hagen00 wrote:
Xvfb was not the answer to my problems.

This is an old post, so this is just for the record. People still read this stuff. Smile

OpenOffice.org 2.3.0+ Linux no longer requires an X server (not even Xvfb) if you install the headless RPM package and use the -headless option.

The article Batch command line file conversion with PyODConverter shows how to use both -headless and Xvfb, so you can choose the one you prefer.
* BleachBit
</signature>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: