OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How do you link to another data source

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacekZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: How do you link to another data source Reply with quote

Finally I got my Thunderbird address book to appear in Ooo Base (Ooo 2.0 with XP). But now I'm stumped: how do I add a table for extra data that I can link to the address book data. I don't want to work on a copy of the address data, I want to link to the live version. It is not necessary to edit the address book from Ooo, but I want a relational link to a new table where I can put in extra related data. That extra table should be in Ooo and I want to run queries (in Base) on both sources linked relationally. I hope that I can link using unique name-surname key index based on the address book and extra data table. Anyone know how to do this? When I look at the address book in Base, the add table options are greyed out.

Thanks
Jacek
Paco
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same issue for me; both table tasks are greyed out... I'm looking to create new tables for related informations to link to my TB adress books. My idea is to manage notes about my contacts; sort of a contact manager for buisness... but I primairly use TB along with it's adress book.

Help us please! Let us know if you need more infos in order to help us fix this...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hang on Jacek, we'll find a way... I hope!? Rolling Eyes
brucehohl
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen,
Are you willing to consider another appoach? If so, you can do the following:

(1) Create a new Base DB using dBase as the datasource. You will be asked to set the path to your dbf files. I suggest the same directory as your odb file and to use this one directory only for the odb file and related dbf files. This keeps everything together.

(2) Now if you create a table, a dbf file will be created and will be located at the address you specified in step 1 above.

(3) And if you create a dbf file in, or copy or move to, your data source directory, it will show up as a table in Base. You will have to click: "View > Refresh Tables" to see it.

So under this approach you need to get your Thunderbird data into a dbf file and put that file in the datasource directory. This file is of course a snapshot but you can replace / refresh it as often as is necessary.

Other notes:
A - Using dBase as a back end may result in some limitations with regards to creating queries. Just test it for your needs.

B - Alternatively, you can create a new Base DB with the default embedded HSQL database backend. Then use HSQL's capability to connect to a text file. In this case you would put your Thunderbird data into that "refreshable" text file. To do this see:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=29431&highlight=

C - Vote for Issue 42464 !
81846 = have alt key turn on menu
Paco
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks brucehohl!

I'll give it a try.

Where do I vote for thoses Base issue fixes and enhancements?
brucehohl
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issues page is: http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/project_issues.html You must register to create or vote on issues. There is a search tool that should be used before creating a new issue to avoid duplicates.
Paco
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So under this approach you need to get your Thunderbird data into a dbf file and put that file in the datasource directory. This file is of course a snapshot but you can replace / refresh it as often as is necessary.

Can I get help about this; I can'nt export the TB adress book(s) to DBF directly (only LDIF, CSV or TAB/TXT) and if I export in say CSV, they won't refresh as needed...
brucehohl
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can export the address book to csv format than you may want to use the method described under "Other Notes B" above with this link: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=29431&highlight= This will save the step of converting the csv file to dbf format.

Otherwise, one method to convert a csv to dbf is to open the csv file in OOo Calc and resave in dBase format. File > Save As; select File Type = dBASE (dbf). Probably there are better ways to get this done. There is likely a conversion tool available.

In either case in order to refresh the data simply re-export the file from TB. Convert to dbf as above if needed. Then move the file to the correct location over writing the previous file.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: