OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Can't load JDBC driver for MySQL database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbland1
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Can't load JDBC driver for MySQL database Reply with quote

I could use some help! I am trying to connect to a MySQL database. Java, MySQL, and OpenOffice are all new to me so I am trying to create a simple test case by using OpenOffice to connect to a MySQL database - both located on my PC. I have successfully created a MySQL database but I can't seem to connect to it. I am running off of a Windows platform. I will eventually be using a Linux platform so I need to connect to the database using a JDBC connection instead of an ODBC connection.

I downloaded the mysql connector/j driver and unzipped the file. I opened OpenOffice Base, created a dummy Base database, and then selected OpenOffice.org Tools -Options from the menu bar. I selected Java, then Class Path, then Add Archive and selected the .jar file I had just unzipped. I closed Base and reopened.

Under the Database Wizard, I select Connect to an existing database and select MySQL from the list. I select "Connect using JDBC". The default port number is 3306 and the driver class is com.mysql.jdbc.Driver. When I click the Test Class command button, I get a message from Base saying "JDBC Driver Test The JDBC driver could not be loaded."

Can I test the class without specifying a database or a Server URL? If not, what should I put in these fields? Should I use "localhost" as the URL or "127.0.0.1"? What format should I use to input the database name?

If I can test the driver without populating the database name or Server URL then why can't I load the driver? The MySQL server is automatically started when I load Windows.

Thanks in advance for the help!
ddougan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which JDBC version are you using? I suggest that you get mysql-connector-java-5.0.0-beta.zip - it works for me, connecting to a Linux server.
Debbland1
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - thanks for replying. I first tried the 5.0 beta version then the 3.1.12 version. I had the same error with both.

When you open Base and you get to step 3 - Set up connection to a MySQL database using JDBC, what do you enter in the fields?

Thanks for the help!!
ddougan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to successfully test the class without the other settings, from what I recall. I have the jar file in the lib/ext subdirectory of the Java installation - and I don't seem to have anything in the Class Path.

My jdbc settings are

mysql://servername:3306/dbname?overrideSupportsIntegrityEnhancementFacility=true

where servername and dbname are specific to your settings. The last piece is a suggestion I found on this forum to allow the use of relationships in a MySQL database.
Debbland1
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still having problems. Could you tell me EXACTLY, field by field, what you enter when you start OpenOffice Base.

Starting on step 1. Select Database
What do you want to do?
I select "Connect to an existing database" and select MYSQL from the list.

NEXT

Step 2: How do you wnat to connect to your MySQL database?
I select Connect Using JDBC

NEXT

Step 3: Setup connection
Name of database: <blank>
Server URL: <blank>
Port Number: 3306
MySQL JDBC Driver Class: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

I do not change any of the field contents. I click the Test Class button and I get the JDBC Driver could not be loaded. Same is true when I try to populate the fields on this form.

How do my forms and field values compare to yours? Thanks again for your time!
ddougan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Before you go further, and assuming the jar is in the directory I indicated, close OOo down - and include the Quickstarter too. OOo may need a refresh before it picks up your changes.

Try that, then the "Test Driver" and let me know whether that worked.

Des
Debbland1
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it works now... Embarassed

Turns out, I have not shutdown my laptop since I installed the driver. I did shut down base like instructed. But it never occurred to me until now to reboot.

Thanks SO much for your help and patience!

Deb
ddougan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb,

It was probably the Quickstarter which caused the issue - it holds the exe in memory even if the modules are closed.

I'm glad you've got it running. I've been having lots of fun the last couple of weeks getting a database built to suit my needs.

Good luck!

Des
skyblue

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Can't load JDBC driver for MySQL database Reply with quote

two hours. Scouring forum after forum. Many google attempts. Search of both OO and MySQL sites.
Following the readme for this download. Put in the CLASSPATH. Changed the CLASSPATH. None of this made any difference.

But ddougan had the answer. Well done you.

Rather than putting the JAR file in my downloads folder (as is my normal practice) it needed to be in the /bin/ext directory - sorry I am in windows ..\bin\ext folder and it works.

Could someone change the readme to reflect what is required please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: