OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Using OO as viewer only

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serries
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Using OO as viewer only Reply with quote

We are looking for a way to use OpenOffice.org 2.0.x as a viewer-only applicaton. The view-only mode should set editing by *central configuration*. The user should not be able to overwrite this setting. If editing is disabled there should be no way for the user to run OpenOffice in edit mode or to create any new document..

Background: We need an application (under linux) to only(!) display documents in (mostly) MS-Office-format. The restricted OpenOffice version is not to prevent the useres from changing any files but to protect our user support unit from an unmanageble number of support request related to working in office documents. OpenOffice would be only one application within a closed system. Working with office documents is no (primary) functional requirement within this system; but viewing office documents is essential to be able to read mails and attachments from our customers. (Currently we use the MS-Office-Viewer. Because of stability issues we want to switch to a native linux application.)

A view-only feature is so important for us, that we would like to implement it (if not already present). Is there anybody who can give us advice for this.

Thanks in advance.
Thomas
GAllen
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

addActionLock
removeActionLock
lockControllers
unLockControllers

i think the above commands may be something to do with it but i could never get the buggers to do anything. Sad

let me know iff you find different.
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Using OO as viewer only Reply with quote

serries wrote:
We are looking for a way to use OpenOffice.org 2.0.x as a viewer-only applicaton.

This question has been discussed recently: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=31321&highlight=viewer.

Wouldn't it be easier to write protect all the documents?
or
Wouldn't is be easier to convert the documents to pdf? Perhaps by using a marco like the one described here: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=3772.

With kind regards
hol.sten
serries
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Using OO as viewer only Reply with quote

You're right, there was a related discussion recently. It's mine Wink

Quote:
Wouldn't it be easier to write protect all the documents?

Sadly, this will be impossible as the users will recieve office documents by mail of will download them from the web and need to save them on disk (where they can change files to be writable...), to access them while not online.

Quote:
Wouldn't is be easier to convert the documents to pdf?

Not all sources of information are under our control to convert everything to PDF. And I'm not sure whether the macros fullfil our requirements.

So, implementing a view-only configuration option more and more seems to be our only chance. Maybe the hint from GAllen will help. But I havn't had a look on it by now.
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick look at some search results got this page which may help:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=28151

I searched for "configuration" and "edit" (both terms). The search results are http://www.oooforum.org/forum/search.phtml?search_id=1744111428&start=50
NoOneLeft
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a link in the General forum that may meet your needs. It sounds like this tool is in early development stages, although is does already have some functionality. It's an extension to the firefox browser to allow viewing documents int he browser itself. Currently only supports writer docs though.

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1888&application=firefox
serries
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime we realised a viewonly mode for OpenOffice.org 2.x. It is based on Star-Basic macros which are called on the following events:
- opening a document
- creating a new document.

Additionally we modified toolbar, menu and keybindings for readonly mode to ensure, that the users can not by-pass our modifications to easy.

If there is interest in our solution I'd be willing to post it or send it by E-Mail.

Best Reguards and thanks to all who replyed my initial post
Thomas
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post your solution. Others will be interested.
Rajesh_h
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Using OO as viewer only Reply with quote

I know I am answering a very old thread, but I could not help.

Solution to what you want is PDF cdocuments. Simply export PDFs with protection enabled and distribute these to achieve your purposes.

Rajesh Haldipur
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: