OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Running OOo in a CyberCafe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iunknowni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Running OOo in a CyberCafe? Reply with quote

Hi, sorry if this question has already been raised but I can't seem to dredge it up. I'm setting up a small (11-20) windows server enviornment for a Cafe and was wondering how OOo would do as a replacement for MS Office. I understand that the two applications are not 100% compatible, but then again, I highly doubt Cafe users would be creating highly complex documents that need to be saved to MS Word format. My main concern is that college kids can come in and write their papers, save as MS Word (.doc), and e-mail the file to themselves--hopefully opening correctly at home (in Word or whatever). If anyone one has done this or has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
9point9

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOo is very suitable for use in an Internet cafe.

The file compatibility thing may be an issue but it's an issue with MS's formats, not OOo. However, if you get lots of students using it, some may choose to install OOo on their own machines.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
RealGrouchy
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, you can charge a one-time $700 fee (local price may vary) to anyone who has a problem with that.

What kinds of people use internet cafes? Is it mostly tech-competent people, who are able to navigate around "surprises" like this, or people who need step by step help?

You may want to include a note either way. When my org's sysadmin removed access to IE, one of our very-much-not-tech-savvy volunteers spent unnecessary amounts of time trying to find access to the internet until I showed up and clicked on the netscape icon for them.

XPsp2, OOo 2.3, SeaMonkey 1.1.7, IE v.6.6.6...
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too mention that if you wanted to..and either a bonus or a simple revenue stream..you could always give away, or sell for a very nominal fee a copy of the OpenOffice installation files. You can get a disk image for the full distrobution from the site. Then they can have it both at your cafe and their home (dorm)...If they are concerned about MS interoperability, assure them it is quite good..and if nothing else...export to PDF pretty much covers it all for reading anyway.

Now about Blue and Black...the reverse of Black and Blue..you know what happens when you punch something...

So...punch a message title with your mouse button when it is blue..and then next time you look at the list of thread titles...hmmm...might be black...So - don't be grouchy...be Happy!

Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: