OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

I would like a Columns Button in toolbars...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skogs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: I would like a Columns Button in toolbars... Reply with quote

Honestly, I like how the general format setup is done with ooo and I think it is much better thought out and set up. However, I need to be able to change column settings frequently. Some things are better in two columns than one, and paragraph styles etc just don't touch the column aspect.

Seriously, its the only thing that MSWord does correctly and best...Simple button for columns, you click on it, hold, and drag over as many columns as you want your selection/futuretext to be. Super simple, requires only 1 mouse click, and no typing.

Please, please somebody figure out an applet that can do this and add it into the next release, or better yet, start a fork of ooo and let me know about it.

thank you in advance for at least reading this.

Anybody that agrees that my idea is a good one, please post below and bump this.
Dale
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you already know this, but:

Format > Page, select Columns tab
or for less than a page -
Insert > Section, select Columns tab.

- It's not what you're asking for. (Info only.)
- It probably would not be too hard to write/record a macro and assign a shortcut key.

OOo documentation from the source
http://documentation.openoffice.org
Guides, FAQ, How Tos
RealGrouchy
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there not a button available in the "Customize toolbars" area?

XPsp2, OOo 2.3, SeaMonkey 1.1.7, IE v.6.6.6...
DGehman
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RealGrouchy wrote:
Is there not a button available in the "Customize toolbars" area?

Yes - you can add a "Columns" button to any toolbar. It doesn't quite do what the OP wants, because the button requires 3 mouse clicks (1, button; 2, no. of columns desired;3, OK*), not a click-and-drag.

It's a little hard to find. On the toolbar drop-down, you select Customize Toolbar... then on the Customize > Toolbars dialog you click on Add... in the Toolbar Content Commands. Navigate to Category Format in the left pane, then Columns in the Command pane. Click Add, close, then push or pull the Columns command up or down to place it where you want on your selected toolbar.

--------
* plus the keystrokes to add some space between the columns... why would a text formatting utility have a default of zero space between columns?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open Office uses page styles. If you change the number of columns it will apply to all pages using that style. If you are in the habit of using multiple column layouts on the same page, you need to use sections. You can add a button for Insert section, which has a flyout to select the number of columns. Unfortunately, it suffers from the same problem as that mentioned by DGehman — the default spacing between columns is zero Rolling Eyes so you have to open the format columns menu anyway.
skogs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Wow...thanks DGehman... Reply with quote

Thanks DGehman, I swear I've looked specifically for that damn menu button on the add toolbar thing a dozen times.

It is a bit more work than what I'm used to...with all the extra selecting and the obvious format fix for a more realistic padding between columns....but I think I'll survive.

It is easier than doing the menu driven approach completly. I guess I'll also try recording a macro for it, although I do generally try to shy away from becoming macro-dependant. We'll see what works I spose. Still be a nice usability improvement for the deal to be there automatically...and work as slick as the 'other' office program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: