OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Saving files wrong and can't re-open them.....Please help me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hlndr
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Saving files wrong and can't re-open them.....Please help me Reply with quote

I have had OO 2.0 for a couple of months now and was loving it. But now it has started giving me grief. No matter what type of file I save my document as (.rtf, .doc, .odt or .sxw) it will save them as "files". (that's the way they are listed in the directory....Sample Document.file) and when I try to open them I get either an input error or a reading error and they won't open. The only way that I can access the information in them is to open them through Notepad and sift through all the weird codes for the text and do a C&P and reformat. One of my jobs is to publish a monthly newletter. This month I couldn't because I couldn't acces the logo and columns and graphics. As it was it was it took me 4 hours to C&P the text that I had rescued through notepad. So can someone please help me? The documents I have created in OO are important for my job and I coulld get canned over this.
tries

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Having the same kind of trouble Reply with quote

That's right ... something is wrong with the save/zipping routines in OOo since 1.9xx ...

I experienced the problem von files saved the wrong way in calc, writer and impress in almost any format: odf, swf, but also MS Office formats etc.
First OOo stops service, shutting down and re-opening the file it will be downed again. At the moment, ODF ist NOT a safe format to work with, I'm afraid. This thing has to be resolved quickly, it is a serious threat for people who need to trust in the stability of their data.
Jallan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving files wrong and can't re-open them.....Please hel Reply with quote

hlndr wrote:
I have had OO 2.0 for a couple of months now and was loving it. But now it has started giving me grief. No matter what type of file I save my document as (.rtf, .doc, .odt or .sxw) it will save them as "files". (that's the way they are listed in the directory....Sample Document.file) and when I try to open them I get either an input error or a reading error and they won't open. The only way that I can access the information in them is to open them through Notepad and sift through all the weird codes for the text and do a C&P and reformat. One of my jobs is to publish a monthly newletter. This month I couldn't because I couldn't acces the logo and columns and graphics. As it was it was it took me 4 hours to C&P the text that I had rescued through notepad. So can someone please help me? The documents I have created in OO are important for my job and I coulld get canned over this.

We've been using OpenOffice under Windows at work in our date-processing department on multiple machines for over a year now, versions from 1.1.4 to 2.0.1, including at times various beta versions. We began using it in place of MS Office which was formerly used for the same purposes. We use automation routines using OpenOffice Writer as a formatter for various kinds of reports and run-sheet forms and also for general conversion back and forth between Excel and DBF formatted database files. Sometimes as many as 50 dump files may be produced and saved by automation one after the other.

We naturally also do a fair amount of manual work with it. We were orginally mostly operating under Windows 98, but are now using Windows XP SP2 almost entirely.

While OpenOffice.org Writer does seem to crash more than MS Word, auto-recovery works 99% of the time.

No-one here as ever encountered anything like files being saved with a ".file" extension or with any undocumented extension. Nor have I read of anyone else encountering this.

Please advise what operating system you are using and whether you are experiencing this problem on a single machine or multiple machines. Since you are using it at work, you may be able to install on another machine and compare. Is it possible that a virus is responsible for your problems? Have you tried renaming the extensions to what they are supposed to be?
/sam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Saving files wrong and can't re-open them.....Please help me Reply with quote

hlndr wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem, and have now started creating documents in WordPad - at least that way I can save and open them again... Renaming the documents doesn't work. Using the repair tool on the OOo 2.0 CD hasn't worked and a remove and reinstall hasn't helped either.

FWIW I'm running the latest version of Windows XP on a Toshiba laptop. I'm not on a network and haven't had this problem with the version of OOo that runs on my desktop.

/sam
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Saving files wrong and can't re-open them.....Please hel Reply with quote

hlndr wrote:
[color=violet][b]I have had OO 2.0 for a couple of months now and was loving it. But now it has started giving me grief. No matter what type of file I save my document as (.rtf, .doc, .odt or .sxw) it will save them as "files". (that's the way they are listed in the directory....Sample Document.file)

You'll notice not too many responses from people who have worked a long time with OO and with computers in general perhaps. That will be because they [a lot of them] do not have a similar problem, and each uses different operating systems, so that can not be the problem either. What I'm driving at is that your problem, if not exactly unique, is rare.

When you say "Sample Document.file", are you meaning that there is an added extension of exactly "file", or a file name of exactly "Sample Document"? That latter couldn't happen if the operating system doesn't allow file copies without warning. The former is unusual in that file extensions are usually three characters.

If you could give your operating system, and your exact procedure, it might help. if you could give a link to a copy of a less private document, it could possibly be examined by others.

David.
Jallan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Saving files wrong and can't re-open them.....Please hel Reply with quote

/sam wrote:
I'm having the exact same problem, and have now started creating documents in WordPad - at least that way I can save and open them again... Renaming the documents doesn't work. Using the repair tool on the OOo 2.0 CD hasn't worked and a remove and reinstall hasn't helped either.

FWIW I'm running the latest version of Windows XP on a Toshiba laptop. I'm not on a network and haven't had this problem with the version of OOo that runs on my desktop.

Are you really having the "same"problem, that is, is the extension of your files saved from OpenOffice now ".file"? Is this true for Writer only, or also for Calc and Impress?

To assure that you can see the extension properly, open Windows Explorer, select Tools -> Folder Options... -> View, and make sure the item "Hide file extensions on known file types" is not checked. Then click on "Apply" and close the dialog box.

Within OpenOffice.org select Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice.org -> Load/Save -> General and make sure that the list of document types that can be revealed in the "Document Type" matches item for item with what you want in the "Always Save As" list box. For "Text Document" under "Document Type" you should set the "Always Save As" entry to "OpenDocument Text".

Create a new document, put some text in it, and save it under a name not previously used to avoid any confusion. What extension does the new file have?

Click on the new file in Windows Explorer with the right mouse button. Select "Properties" and then select the "General" tab. What information does the resultant dialog box show for "Type of File" and "Opens with"?
/sam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Saving files wrong and can't re-open them.....Please hel Reply with quote

Jallan wrote:
/sam wrote:

Are you really having the "same"problem, that is, is the extension of your files saved from OpenOffice now ".file"? Is this true for Writer only, or also for Calc and Impress?

To assure that you can see the extension properly, open Windows Explorer, select Tools -> Folder Options... -> View, and make sure the item "Hide file extensions on known file types" is not checked. Then click on "Apply" and close the dialog box.

Within OpenOffice.org select Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice.org -> Load/Save -> General and make sure that the list of document types that can be revealed in the "Document Type" matches item for item with what you want in the "Always Save As" list box. For "Text Document" under "Document Type" you should set the "Always Save As" entry to "OpenDocument Text".

Create a new document, put some text in it, and save it under a name not previously used to avoid any confusion. What extension does the new file have?

Click on the new file in Windows Explorer with the right mouse button. Select "Properties" and then select the "General" tab. What information does the resultant dialog box show for "Type of File" and "Opens with"?

Did all of the above, and was able to confirm that the files are saved as .file, with no program association (there was no 'open with' information in the properties dialog box) then went back and tried with Calc and Impress - I don't use them often so didn't know if they were working or not.

Saving the calc doc I noticed the Automatic file name extension click box wasn't clicked - so I clicked it and the file saved properly. I went into Writer again, created a new doc and went to save it. Viola - the Automatic file name extension box was checked.

I've never had this problem before so wonder why it's doing this now? Isn't the automatic file name extension box usually selected by default?

In any event - it seems the problem is fixed. Smile

thanks very muchly Smile

/sam
/sam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Saving files wrong and can't re-open them.....Please hel Reply with quote

hlndr wrote:

See my reply to Jallan for details on how I fixed the problem. Once I'd fixed it as described I was able to rename the .file files to .odt or .doc or whatever, and have them open and read properly.

/sam
Jallan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Saving files wrong and can't re-open them.....Please hel Reply with quote

/sam wrote:

Saving the calc doc I noticed the Automatic file name extension click box wasn't clicked - so I clicked it and the file saved properly. I went into Writer again, created a new doc and went to save it. Viola - the Automatic file name extension box was checked.

I've never had this problem before so wonder why it's doing this now? Isn't the automatic file name extension box usually selected by default?

In any event - it seems the problem is fixed. Smile

Most wierd!

Certainly "Automatic file extension" is checked by default ... or users installing OpenOffice.org for the first time would notice.

I turned off "Automatiic File Extension" (the first time I've ever done this) and it saved the file under the name I supplied without any additional file extension, just as I suppose it should. It didn't stick on its own "file" extension. I messed around a little turning it off and on, sometimes using "Save As" and sometimes using "Save" and the filenames appeared in all cases as expected. Rebooting OpenOffice.org made no difference either.

Since two people have encountered the identical problem it appears to be a real one in OpenOffice, not an unrelated Operating System glitch or a virus..

But until it is reproducible, there's no point in filing a bug report.
/sam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most wierd!

Certainly "Automatic file extension" is checked by default ... or users installing OpenOffice.org for the first time would notice.

I turned off "Automatiic File Extension" (the first time I've ever done this) and it saved the file under the name I supplied without any additional file extension, just as I suppose it should. It didn't stick on its own "file" extension. I messed around a little turning it off and on, sometimes using "Save As" and sometimes using "Save" and the filenames appeared in all cases as expected. Rebooting OpenOffice.org made no difference either.

Since two people have encountered the identical problem it appears to be a real one in OpenOffice, not an unrelated Operating System glitch or a virus..

But until it is reproducible, there's no point in filing a bug report.

Weird indeed, and even weirder that it's not reproducible, since the error persisted even after I'd reinstalled OOo 2.0.

Oh well - at least it works again. Smile

/sam[/quote]
hlndr
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Saving files. Reply with quote

I'll give thesed suggestions a try, but in the mean time....how the heck do I open the files that have been saved as .files? OOo won't open them and neither will Word Pad.
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.8daysaweek.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1133#1133
Jallan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has filed this with openoffice.org as issue 61942. See http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=61942
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: