OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Numbered chapter titles as indented hanging paragraphs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maruska

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Numbered chapter titles as indented hanging paragraphs Reply with quote

I am writing on my thesis and would like the numbered titles of chapters and subchapters to be layouted in indented hanging paragraphs.

At the moment, the titles are layouted as follows:

1 Title of chapter 1 is very long long long
long long long long long long

text body of chapter 1
1.1 Title of subchapter 1.1 is very long long

text body of subchapter 1.1
1.1.1 Title of subchapter 1.1 is very long long

text body of subchapter 1.1.1

I would like it to look like this (about - I worked with white color here to achieve the desired result):
1 long long long long long long

text body of chapter 1
1.1 long long long long long long long

1.1.1 Title of subchapter 1.1 is very long
1.1.1 long long long long long long long long

As the document is more than 250 pages long, I am looking for an automated change. However, I didnít find out how I can tell the Writer to do so.

Does anyone know how to achieve the desired result? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Maruska

PS: I also would like to apply the same setting to the table of contents and footnotes. How am I to do that?
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Numbered chapter titles as indented hanging paragraphs Reply with quote

maruska wrote:
I am writing on my thesis and would like the numbered titles of chapters and subchapters to be layouted in indented hanging paragraphs.

At the moment, the titles are layouted as follows:

text body of chapter 1

1.1.1 Title of subchapter 1.1 is very long long

I would like it to look like this (about - I worked with white color here to achieve the desired result):
1 long long long long long long

text body of chapter 1
1.1 long long long long long long long

1.1.1 Title of subchapter 1.1 is very long
1.1.1 long long long long long long long long

As the document is more than 250 pages long, I am looking for an automated change. However, I didnít find out how I can tell the Writer to do so.

Does anyone know how to achieve the desired result? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Maruska

PS: I also would like to apply the same setting to the table of contents and footnotes. How am I to do that?

Assuming that you are using Heading Styles simply right click on the Headings go to the Indents and Spacing Tab and change the Before text and First line indents.

You will need to increase the Before text and Decrease ( that is have a negative indent for the first line.

This will apply to all headings of this level. Simply make the equivalent changes to the rest of the heading.

The same thing should work for the footnotes
maruska

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Numbered chapter titles as indented hanging paragraphs Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:

Assuming that you are using Heading Styles simply right click on the Headings go to the Indents and Spacing Tab and change the Before text and First line indents.

You will need to increase the Before text and Decrease ( that is have a negative indent for the first line.

This will apply to all headings of this level. Simply make the equivalent changes to the rest of the heading.

The same thing should work for the footnotes

Dear jkrideau

Thank you very much for your answer - and sorry for getting back to you so late.

What you advised me to do did work well for the footnotes (e.g. 0.5cm before text, -0.5cm for the first line).

For the titles, I succeeded in a different way - but your tipp got me thinking on where to look for a solution in OOo. For all others checking - this is how:
Insert ->Index ->Table of content ->structure(...) ->distance to text (distance to text - e.g. heading1 0.7cm, heading2 1.2cm etc.)

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it very much.

Maruska
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: