OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Automatic Section Numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishgills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Automatic Section Numbers Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm new to Writer so I warn you. Smile

I'm trying to make a document that's for a class. I've figured out how to do automatic page numbering in the footer, left/right page style alternating... But I want every page to have:

Class #

In one of the corners. I figured the class number could be a chapter number but I can't get that showing up. There would be six Class sections (One for every class).

I'm about to just give up and make six seperate documents for each class but It'd be easier for me and my printing staff if it was one document.
Westland
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Think you can get the results you want simply by using "page styles"

when you define a page style, the header and footer content is saved with that style.
You just have to select the proper "page syle" to each "class" - part of the document.

There are more sofisticated ways to achieve this result, using fields, but probably this is enough.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to use "chapter names".

Do Tools > Outline Numbering and set the Numbering box in Level 1 to 1,2,3 and put "Class # " in the Before box. Note that Level 1 uses the Heading 1 paragraph style.

With cursor in the header do Insert > Fields > Other > Document tab. Select Chapter on the left and Chapter Number and Name on the right and Insert. The first paragraph of each classes' 1st page must be set to the Heading 1 paragraph style but it doesn't need to have any text other than what shows up automatically.

The Heading 1-10 paragraph styles are all automatically followed by the Text Body paragraph style but you can change it to Default or anything else in the Stylist on the styles Organizer tab.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: