OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Small Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamH
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Small Question Reply with quote

Hi all I am new to these questions:

Just a small query:
When I type in different colours, it can be frustrating because: e.g. The title is red, I click down and change the font colour to black but the font is still red. I have to select the font to change the colour. Is this a small bug that needs to be fixed?

Im using quite a few different colours now and it gets quite tricky not being able to click the font colour and it change automatically.

I know its a bit silly so sorry
Thanks
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Small Question Reply with quote

SamH wrote:
Hi all I am new to these questions:

Just a small query:
When I type in different colours, it can be frustrating because: e.g. The title is red, I click down and change the font colour to black but the font is still red. I have to select the font to change the colour. Is this a small bug that needs to be fixed?

I have to say I don't quite follow what is happening here. How do you set the colour of the text in the first place? Is the title a Heading ( From the Stylist) ?
And when you say you click down and change the font colour to black—where or what are you clicking? Why would you expect the font colour to change automatically?

Quote:
Im using quite a few different colours now and it gets quite tricky not being able to click the font colour and it change automatically.

I have set up a Heading1 Style with font red and the default paragraph as black and it works fine. It may be that you are expecting OOo to work as MS Word does and while they are comparable they do not do things the same way.

Quote:
I know its a bit silly so sorry
Thanks

Not silly at all. If you are using a lot of colour this can be very important. I suspect that you may want to set up some paragraph and character styles in the Stylist (hit F11 to bring it up) to handle these issues.

Have a look at Working with Styles in Writer for some suggestions
http://oooauthors.org/en/authors/userguide2/writer/published_final/
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Small Question Reply with quote

SamH wrote:
I have to select the font to change the colour.

I think I see what you mean. Typing in one colour, If you select the "A" drop-down colour selection you get a "fill" cursor, but still type in the old colour until you select the text you want to change. It should be easy to switch automatically form one colour to another by selecting that icon and colour for example, and then, when typing, simply type in that new selected colour.

David.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Small Question Reply with quote

David wrote:
SamH wrote:
I have to select the font to change the colour.

I think I see what you mean. Typing in one colour, If you select the "A" drop-down colour selection you get a "fill" cursor, but still type in the old colour until you select the text you want to change. It should be easy to switch automatically form one colour to another by selecting that icon and colour for example, and then, when typing, simply type in that new selected colour.

David.

Oh I see now Exclamation If this is what SamH wants I thing that the easiest way probably is to set up different character styles and simply double-click on them whenever a new colour is wanted. I set up three rRed rBlue and rGreen (the r keeps them together) as a test and it seems to work very well. Wnenever I want to change a colour I simply click on the appropriate style. I write with the Stylist open and docked to one side of the screen.

And this gives the OP the choice to change any of the colours throughout the document with a single style change.
SamH
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah thanks both of you, sorry for being a little unclear I'll try and to what you suggested jrkrideau to make colour change a little quicker.

Your always very friendly
Thanks!

I'm very glad I found OO! and can put the £200+ saved to better use
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Question Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
Oh I see now Exclamation If this is what SamH wants I thing that the easiest way probably is to set up different character styles and simply double-click on them whenever a new colour is wanted.

I'd still vote to make that unnecessary. It would be much better if choosing a colour to be able to use that colour directly. I want to type in red. I pick red. Poof! Now I'm typing in red. ...Except, I'm not.

What does choosing the colour mean if you can't apply it directly to what is them being typed? It can be applied to "fill" the chosen set of characters. I also found it difficult to venture back and forth between colours as needed.

David.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Small Question Reply with quote

[quote="David"]
jrkrideau wrote:
Oh I see now Exclamation If this is what SamH wants I thing that the easiest way probably is to set up different character styles and simply double-click on them whenever a new colour is wanted.

Quote:
I'd still vote to make that unnecessary. It would be much better if choosing a colour to be able to use that colour directly. I want to type in red. I pick red. Poof! Now I'm typing in red. ...Except, I'm not.

I agree if you want to do hard-formatting in the text but I believe that my way is overall better in terms of good formatting practice.

Quote:
What does choosing the colour mean if you can't apply it directly to what is them being typed? It can be applied to "fill" the chosen set of characters. I also found it difficult to venture back and forth between colours as needed.

I think it probably goes back to the philosophy of using styles for everything and never using the formatting bar. The chaning colour from the menu bar was probably something of an afterthought. Smile

Ideally one would never use the menubars for any kind of formatting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: