OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Microsoft Publisher?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonnHarry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Microsoft Publisher? Reply with quote

Hello, i recently installed open office at work as i had seen it on a friends computer and was very impressed, however lot's of the documents we use at work are made on Microsoft Publisher and i don't know if OpenOffice supports such file types.

Can anyone help me out?

*Edit*

Nevermind i found the other topic. Sad
robina
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, you can only open Publisher docs with Publisher. OOo does not include a Desktop Publishing app like Publisher.
Angel Blue01
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no programs that support the Publisher file type
Luc
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but Publisher's <.PUB> format can also be recognized by Adobe Pagemaker.

Luc
Angel Blue01
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that. Then why don't other desktop publshing programs such as Serif's Pageplus support it? Or Ooo?
Sirmatto
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a proprietary standard. I'm sure Adobe licensed Publisher's format specs to be able to open .pubs. And since it's a very low priority for most people, there hasn't really been any attempts to reverse engineer the format like other MS Office formats.
bkovacs
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why OpenOffice is geared more for home use rather than the work enviroment. Unless of course you are a small 10 employee company working in a third world country. Microsoft has the office software market wrapped up in big businesses. Sorry will probably never be an open office counterpart to Publisher. Same goes for Outllook, OneNote, Visio, Infopath, etc..... OpenOffice is great for home use. But you will be laughed at in the real world business enviroment. From experience I know that. I'm amazed why Corel hasn't given up on Word Perfect as a proprietary product. I don't know anyone who uses that, except Canadians. Very Happy
Angel Blue01
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wordperfect is used by the legal industry in the United States and some OEMs have been shipping it with their machines.
Angel Blue01
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bkovacs"]Why OpenOffice is geared more for home use rather than the work enviroment. Unless of course you are a small 10 employee company working in a third world country. Microsoft has the office software market wrapped up in big businesses. Sorry will probably never be an open office counterpart to Publisher. Same goes for Outllook, OneNote, Visio, Infopath, etc..... OpenOffice is great for home use. But you will be laughed at in the real world business enviroment. [quote]

Publisher is meant for home use. Some small businesses use it. If OOo is used by home users they will want a program that can replace it.
Corfy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel Blue01 wrote:
Publisher is meant for home use.

Oh, that explains why Publisher is only available as a stand-alone and in MS Office Small Business Edition and higher.

Personally, I think Publisher is a joke. It is too expensive for home users and not powerful enough for business.
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkovacs wrote:
Why OpenOffice is geared more for home use rather than the work enviroment. Unless of course you are a small 10 employee company working in a third world country. Microsoft has the office software market wrapped up in big businesses. Sorry will probably never be an open office counterpart to Publisher. Same goes for Outllook, OneNote, Visio, Infopath, etc..... OpenOffice is great for home use. But you will be laughed at in the real world business enviroment. From experience I know that. I'm amazed why Corel hasn't given up on Word Perfect as a proprietary product. I don't know anyone who uses that, except Canadians. Very Happy

Well, you might be surprised then to hear that over 90% of all american workers are employeed by companies with fewer then 500 employees.

19.6 million employees work for firms with less then 20 , and another 18.9 million in firms of 20 - 99 employees.

So, if OpenOffice is well suited to a small enterprise - I say there is plenty of fertile soil to be plowed.

Of course those numbers are only true if you trust the US Census Bureau..so hey who knows, huh.
9point9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkovacs wrote:

I don't think the 3rd world reference really means anything. In many countries piracy is common place.

Many big businesses don't need a DTP program. If they really are in to it in a big way then it's probably only a small number of people who will be given a proper DTP program like Quark Express or Indesign.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry will probably never be an open office counterpart to Publisher.

I'm not an expert in desktop publishing apps, but I think scribus:
http://www.scribus.org.uk/index.php
is a good alternative
Angel Blue01
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scribus doesn't have the polish and ease of OOo
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel Blue01 wrote:
Scribus doesn't have the polish and ease of OOo

No, but that is the beauty of it somehow. It is a specialized tool and it doesnt try to be anything else. That makes it perfect as a destop publishing program. Sure, Scribus demands more of the user, but not the Linux way.

It is not easy to understand Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw either, but once you learn how to use them, you are the master. Limitations are rare. If you use OOo for desktop publishing then you will find limitations in the software again and again; it is after all no DTP program.

Anyway, Scribus is also free so it is a good thing to play with and learn step by step. It is improving, fast! Unlike OOo... Sad

Oh, and it was just updated:
Windows: http://windows.scribus.net/
Linux, Mac: http://www.scribus.net/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: