OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to use tab outside right indent?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
semper
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: How to use tab outside right indent? Reply with quote

Placing them is ok, but using them? I can't seem to reach tabs outside right indent.
Can someone help me please?
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to use tab outside right indent? Reply with quote

semper wrote:
Placing them is ok, but using them? I can't seem to reach tabs outside right indent.
Can someone help me please?

Can you tell us why you want one there? There may be more than one way to do what you want. Often in OOo setting a tab is not the best approach.

However if you really want to set a tab there, one way is to define a new style with the after-text alignment set to a negative number. I set up a trial one with a -2.0 cm allignment and it gave a paragraph with a tab outside the right indent.
Jallan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How to use tab outside right indent? Reply with quote

semper wrote:

By setting a right indent, you've told OOo Writer that you want all lines to wrap at that right indent. So naturally OOo Writer does what you told it and so naturally you can't reach anything past the right-indent.

I don't know what you are tyring to do, but I suspect you will find you can do it by creating a table, perhaps a 2-column table, with the first column extneding to where your right indent is now. You can set margins in the cells of the table to create whatever spacing you want between the two columns of text.
semper
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I draw up the minutes, with deadlines and names for liability and I want to place dates and names to the right of the paragraph. I have an old template (MS Word) where this is possible. I can write text and it will follow the right indent. For each item i can just <tab> outside right indent and type in dates and names.
I thought it would be the same possibility in OOo but it is not?
...Tables might be the solution although I don't like it Smile
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

semper wrote:
I draw up the minutes, with deadlines and names for liability and I want to place dates and names to the right of the paragraph. I have an old template (MS Word) where this is possible. I can write text and it will follow the right indent. For each item i can just <tab> outside right indent and type in dates and names.

I'm not familiar enough with Word to set up what I think you're describing. All I manage to do is lose a lot of text. I think the likely solution in OOo is to use tables. Since I have been using OOo I have developed a real dislike for tabs so tables sound good to me Smile
Jallan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

semper wrote:

It is possible that this MS Word template was also using a table. By default, text boundaries are invisible in MS Word so you would not see the table. Tabs are used to jump between table cells, so a table layout will work exactly as you describe. both in MS Word and in OOo Writer.

Have you tried reading your old template into Writer to see if it works?
semper
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is possible that this MS Word template was also using a table. By default, text boundaries are invisible in MS Word so you would not see the table

I have made it my self, and it do not use tables.
Quote:
Have you tried reading your old template into Writer to see if it works?

Yes, but all text in tabs outside right indent is moved to the next line.
Quote:
Tabs are used to jump between table cells, so a table layout will work exactly as you describe. both in MS Word and in OOo Writer.

Well...I have made a new template in Writer, with tables...and it is working fine. Thank you for your help Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: