OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Opening file over network = runtime error soffice.bin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aswebdesign
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Opening file over network = runtime error soffice.bin Reply with quote

When I double-click on an .XLS, .DOC, or .PPT file over the network I get a runtime error: soffice.bin. The computer the files reside on is Windows 98 SE. The computers that I am using that are giving me the runtime errors are Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2000. Oddly, there is a Windows XP SP1 machine that WILL open the files on the Windows 98 computer just fine.
What can I do to open files over the network without getting the runtime error? I know that I can open the program and manually browse for the file but I want to be able to double click on a file over the network to open it.

Last edited by aswebdesign on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, OOo 2.0.2 is coming out soon, so you may want to try the 2.0.2 release candidate which has lots of bug fixes. You can download it from http://download.openoffice.org .

Also, you can submit the document for testing to the Issue Tracker at http://qa.openoffice.org , but it would be nice if you could test it with the release candidate before doing that. Since I am an OOo QA volunteer, you can also send me the document by clicking PM on my message to ask me for my e-mail.
aswebdesign
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there isn't a specific document to send. It does the runtime error with ALL .XLS files that I click on over the network.
I will try the 2.0.2 release to see if it fixes the problem and report back.
aswebdesign
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't work. I tried version 2.0.2 and it still gives the runtime error. I uninstalled version 2.0.1 before installing 2.0.2.

Also edited the original post to reflect that this happens with ANY file I try to open with OpenOffice. Doesn't matter if it is .xls, .doc, or .ppt. Runtime error for all.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you copy the file to your local hard drive, can you open it by double clicking on the file? Is there more to the error message than "runtime error: soffice.bin"? (It's often helpful to have the exact error message.)
aswebdesign
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I can open any of the files locally. I cannot open them over the network. the error is the same one everyone else is having so i didn't bother to type it out.
The exact message is:
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0\program\soffice.BIN
abnormal program termination
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For troubleshooting, have you tried opening from the two different types of network paths?

One is a UNC path like this: \\server\share\filename.odt
The other is a mapped drive like this: s:\filename.odt

Still, I think you should report the problem to the Issue Tracker at http://qa.openoffice.org
aswebdesign
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have tried from UNC and Mapped drive paths. Same error for both. OpenOffice doesn't agree with explorer. However, if I double click the openoffice icon in my system tray, I can get to the mapped drive that way and it will open the files. This is not a good solution though.
aswebdesign
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you think you could submit the problem for me? That site is giving me a headache. I can't figure out what the heck I'm supposed to do.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I myself can't reproduce the error, I shouldn't report it. But, here are all the steps you need.

1. Register
2. Login
3. File a report in the in the framework component
4. Change "Found in version"
5. Change "Platform"
6. Change "Subcomponent" to "code"
7. Fill out Summary and Description. In Description, include all the technical information including the exact error message, your Windows versions, and that you used OOo 2.0.2rc1.
8. Click Submit
aswebdesign
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

submitted.
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=62178
rails_nut
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note for the record: There are others experiencing these problems, myself included. See these threads.

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=30551&highlight=

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=30444&highlight=

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=31907&highlight=
szlevi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is simply preposterous: the Issue Tracker has records about the same issue - ie file residing on a UNC path location cannot be opened by double-clicking on it - since 2002. How is that possible it's still a problem, 3-4 years later?[/b]
rails_nut
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my understanding (from private emails with someone on the QA side) that the bug has been fixed at least once, but the fix has somehow been regressed.

It's now a confirmed bug here http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=61724

It seems to be a feature of the opensource process that you can make yourself a member on the bug reporting site, and add your input. E.g. You can vote for the bug to raise it's priority and you can add your comments to the bug too (e.g. you could raise your concerns about the fact this issue is so long running).

So why not get involved ? Smile

Andy
paulm52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Confirm: fails with 2.0.2, but works OK with 2.0.0 Reply with quote

I had similar problems loading the latest download (2.0.2) this week on a brand-new laptop. However, another system worked OK, even though the files I intended to access were stored on the same Win 98 server.

Thanks to rails_nut for the comment that this "bug has been fixed at least once, but the fix has somehow been regressed." With that, I found an older OpenOffice 2.0.0 installation file and now am able to work OK.

Hope this gets fixed once and for all in 2.0.3!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: