OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

2.0.2 will not install over 2.0.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lwaltz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: 2.0.2 will not install over 2.0.1 Reply with quote

I can install 2.0.2 over 2.0.1 on two out of three XP systems using the same downloaded file. The failing system (XP Home) gets a error "The file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Leo\Desktop\OpenOffice.org 2.0 Installation Files\openofficeorg20.msi' is not a valid installation package for the product OpenOffice.org 2.0. Try to find the installation package 'openofficeorg20.msi' in a folder from which you can install OpenOffice.org 2.0" It then fails with an MSI error 1714.

I have tried uninstalling 2.0 entirely, but the uninstall fails also with the same error.

I have tried installing version 3.1 of MSI v2 itself (see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=893803 ), but that did not help.

I compared the desktop install folders on all three systems and they are identical, so I don't think the .msi file is bad since it worked on the other two computers.

I tried running msicuu.exe (the msi cleanup utility), but there were no OpenOffice entries displayed, so it was of no help.

I did find an uninstall key in the registry for 2.0.

Doing a web search on "msi error 1714" shows the same type of problems on other software, but I found nothing with Open Office and that error.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the solution here (clean up utility) and let me know whether it works.

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=29337
lwaltz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line: SUCCESS !

I had tried nearly all of those solutions, but one comment: "That string probably won't work in your box, but it sure is at HKLM\Software\Classes\Installer\Products\ " led me to another entry in the registry which I exported, then deleted. I then moved all OpenOffice program file directories to another drive and was successful. There also was an old Star Office 6. set of registry entries, but they never caused a problem before so I left them for a final round which was not necessary.

I now have 2.0.2 running.

Thanks

Now can you fix a similiar problem with another program?? (just kidding)
Seems I had a rash of these .msi problems after replacing my C: drive. The first one was corrected by doing an uninstall, running msicuu, then reinstalling and updating. Required no registry editing.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the solution. Someday someone will find it and be glad.
StephanP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: openofficeorg20.msi confusion Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd like to add something to this discussion.
I've experienced exactly the same thing today:
- Attempt to update OOo201 with OOo202 fails for invalid openofficeorg20.msi
- Attempt to uninstall OOo201 fails for missing/invalid openofficeorg20.msi

Here's my theory:
After I installed OOo201 (a month ago), I removed the installation directory that was automatically created on my desktop. Obviously I wasn't going to leave this rubbish on MY desktop!
Now that I try to update OOo201, it tries to find this former openofficeorg20.msi to perform a proper uninstall and continue with the update to OOo202. But it finds a different .msi, a new one (probably recognized it by a 'signature').

So the real question is:
- If this openofficeorg20.msi is so important for uninstallation and updates, why place/leave it in a default install directory on the desktop, surely there would have been a wiser place for it on the harddrive?

I hope the OOo engineers will find an elegant way around this for the next updates.

Cheers,

Stephan
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen,

I always delete the msi files, and later I have no problem uninstalling or upgrading. The uninstall information is actually somewhere else, and the install, uninstall, and upgrade system is handled by Microsoft's Windows Installer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: