OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Saving style "command" without "content"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westland
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Saving style "command" without "content" Reply with quote

In our organization we (very frequently) need to prepare documents that include several equipment descriptions.
Each equipment has a short description, which is stored on a separate file. There are dozens of different files and users, so I don't believe that Autotext could be used as a replacement method.
We have been using this method for a long time (in fact, a number of files were made in word 2.0 format).

To use the content, people can insert the file, or open it and copy-paste the content to the document that is beeing written.
As you can imagine, there are a lot of manual formatting involved. Each bit of imported text has its own different font, size, and so on.

We want to "revamp" all these description files. I'm considering two options:

A) Save this files as TXT, with content only, using only one tab per line, when needed. This allows a clean import. The styles can be quickly applyed, with short-keys

B) Saving the files as some kind of "Latex" file, where the syle names to be used in each part (introduction, characteristics, advantages) would be included, but without actually saving the styles definition. This way, if in the future we change our standard font, for example, this would not became a problem (as long as we keep the style names) Wink

If something like (B) is possible, I would prefer it, because it would automate the formatting of all imported description files. What do you think ? Is this possible ?
9point9

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B is possible and best.

Create an example file with everything stylewise as you would like it. Then extract this file using a compression tool. Look at content.xml. Here you can see where the styles are applied. You then need to come up with some sort fo method for entering the text into there and zipping it up with the styles.xml file from the sample ODT.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
Westland
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To 9point9:

Thank you for your answer.

I think you are right. I'm not real familiar with XML, but it does contain the kind of "stuff" I'm looking for.
My problem is that I must find a method that can be used by everybody, as part of "normal" text typing, and not by "editing" compressed files.
I'm not an expert with macros, but I'm willing to develop my expertise, if I'm pretty convinced that such method is possible. Confused
Westland
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that on Insert > File I have DocBook (*.XML) as a possibility.
(not sure what I can achieve with this, though)
Westland
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tryed to export to DocBook XML. It works, but no styles are included Crying or Very sad
The "bullets" are exported, though.

I'm not sure if this is a limitaion of the DocBook format. Still investigating...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: