OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[Chart] Data range (should be simple but ...)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
debian1sy8
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: [Chart] Data range (should be simple but ...) Reply with quote

Hi all.

I have two columns, let's say in A and B. A contains values and B contains dates from most recent (top) to oldest entry (bottom).

Goal : I want to plot dates vs. data (with dates from oldest to most recent). How do tou do this ?

A more general question, how do you tell OOCalc, I want this data range to be the x range and this other one to be the y range ??
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: [Chart] Data range (should be simple but ...) Reply with quote

debian1sy8 wrote:
Hi all.

I have two columns, let's say in A and B. A contains values and B contains dates from most recent (top) to oldest entry (bottom).

Goal : I want to plot dates vs. data (with dates from oldest to most recent). How do tou do this ?

A more general question, how do you tell OOCalc, I want this data range to be the x range and this other one to be the y range ??

I assume that the newer dates are 'larger' numbers than the older ones so I am not sure that Calc can reverse sort a series in an XYgraph. Sad I have not found out how to do so anyway. However, how are you plotting these dates? If they are equal - interval dates you can treat them as categorical data, sort the column and use a line graph.

In general the leftmost column of the selected columns is the X-axis. i don't know of any way to change it. Basically I think you need to move the columns.
debian1sy8
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: [Chart] Data range (should be simple but ...) Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
debian1sy8 wrote:
Hi all.

I assume that the newer dates are 'larger' numbers than the older ones so I am not sure that Calc can reverse sort a series in an XYgraph. Sad I have not found out how to do so anyway.

Neither did I.

Quote:

However, how are you plotting these dates? If they are equal - interval dates you can treat them as categorical data, sort the column and use a line graph.

They are real dates (increasing numbers, if you prefer). I could reverse the dates column in a temporary table and plot from there but it's not the main problem. The main problem is the fact that I CANNOT choose the x and y ranges as I want (I mean, I don't know how to do it if it's already there) !!

Quote:

In general the leftmost column of the selected columns is the X-axis. i don't know of any way to change it. Basically I think you need to move the columns.

It should really be a very basic thing OOCalc should know how to cope with. The Chart Wizard is doing its job well but its scope is too limited even in the simple case I mention here. There should be ways to select the data ranges I want to plot in a easy way instead of the gross data range selection the wizard offers, which is very lmited.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: [Chart] Data range (should be simple but ...) Reply with quote

debian1sy8 wrote:
jrkrideau wrote:
debian1sy8 wrote:
Hi all.

I assume that the newer dates are 'larger' numbers than the older ones so I am not sure that Calc can reverse sort a series in an XYgraph. Sad I have not found out how to do so anyway.

Neither did I.

Quote:

However, how are you plotting these dates? If they are equal - interval dates you can treat them as categorical data, sort the column and use a line graph.

They are real dates (increasing numbers, if you prefer). I could reverse the dates column in a temporary table and plot from there but it's not the main problem. The main problem is the fact that I CANNOT choose the x and y ranges as I want (I mean, I don't know how to do it if it's already there) !!

Quote:

It should really be a very basic thing OOCalc should know how to cope with. The Chart Wizard is doing its job well but its scope is too limited even in the simple case I mention here. There should be ways to select the data ranges I want to plot in a easy way instead of the gross data range selection the wizard offers, which is very lmited.

It is being rewrittten at the moment due to such things.

You can select any Y-range (to the right of the X range) by a cntl+ Select or by manually entering the ranges in the ChartWizard.
debian1sy8
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I Ctrl+Select, the leftmost column remains the x-range ...

Can you tell me more on how to do this Ctrl+Select trick or the manual input of the data range ? As an example, let's say the sheet is called 'charts', the values are from V6 to V20 (y-range) and the dates are from Z6 to Z20 (x-range) ..
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

debian1sy8 wrote:
When I Ctrl+Select, the leftmost column remains the x-range ...

Can you tell me more on how to do this Ctrl+Select trick or the manual input of the data range ? As an example, let's say the sheet is called 'charts', the values are from V6 to V20 (y-range) and the dates are from Z6 to Z20 (x-range) ..

Ah you're out of luck here. Currently calc does not allow x & y data to come from the same column
debian1sy8
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry ??? These ranges are in different columns ...

Is the trick you hinted to before (Ctrl+Select or Manual input) working on the simpler case where the x's are in column B and y's in column A ??

If yes, can you elaborate more on these tricks as I can't reproduce them ?
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

debian1sy8 wrote:
Sorry ??? These ranges are in different columns ...

Is the trick you hinted to before (Ctrl+Select or Manual input) working on the simpler case where the x's are in column B and y's in column A ??

If yes, can you elaborate more on these tricks as I can't reproduce them ?

Sorry to take so long to get back.

Yes re tricks. As long as the x-axis data is to the left of the y-axiss datae then all you need to do is select the x-axis data, then hold down the Cntl key and select the other data ranges. Then just insert the graph.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: