OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Status of solver in 2.0.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelasso
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Status of solver in 2.0.2 Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
I am using 2.0.2 version of OpenOffice in linux Kubuntu. I have noticed that in tools menu of calc it is now available a solver, but it seems not to work, and also in its window if I press on the option button I get nothing.
So I am wondering if there is something wrong in my installation, or if this is the current state of the solver.

Thanks in advance
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else may understand what you mean. I cannot find "solver" in the Tools menu or anywhere in Help.
Michelasso
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noranthon wrote:
Someone else may understand what you mean. I cannot find "solver" in the Tools menu or anywhere in Help.

Hello,
I have "solver" in tools menu of calc, just below the "goal seek" one.
No reference to it in Help for me too.
My version is 2.0.2-2ubuntu4, and it seems its build date is April 22th.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelasso wrote:
noranthon wrote:

Hello,

I think my version 2.0.2 Windows (basic English) has something similar but it is called Scenarios. There is something about it in Help but the example template seems to be missing.
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of Scenarios but there's no "options" button in the dialog. You could try Help under "Scenarios", Michelasso, and also search this forum because there has been at least one thread on the subject.

It sounds as though you have a faulty installation. You need to take that up with your distro.

Quote:
the example template seems to be missing.
Time for a whinge: all the example templates (if they really exist) seem to be missing.
foxy
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Status of solver in 2.0.2 Reply with quote

Michelasso wrote:
Hello everybody,
I am using 2.0.2 version of OpenOffice in linux Kubuntu. I have noticed that in tools menu of calc it is now available a solver, but it seems not to work, and also in its window if I press on the option button I get nothing.
So I am wondering if there is something wrong in my installation, or if this is the current state of the solver.

Thanks in advance

maybe you did install a third-party solver before?
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please allow me to jump in with some clarification of tems:
- Goal Seek: Which value in A1 gives a formula-result X in formula-cell B1
- Solver (Addin in Excel): A wizzard, providing an extended goal seek with more arguments and constraints.
- Multiple Operation (function TABLE()): Apply the same calculation-model with one or two variables on different sets of data.
- Scenarios: Provides the possibility to switch calculation-models (a scenario is a named set of constants and formulas in a hidden sheet). Could be used to switch goal seeks and solver results, based on different arguments and contraints.

Kohei Yoshida made a solver-plugin: http://kohei.us/ooo/solver/. I guess, someone dropped that into the ubuntu-compilation without documentation nor testing.
Michelasso
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Status of solver in 2.0.2 Reply with quote

foxy wrote:
Michelasso wrote:
Hello everybody,

Thanks in advance

Not to my knowledge. Since it seems we are using the same distribution (dapper), I can't then explain why I have it and you don't have it, as I can argue from your message. I will give another look to ubuntu forums.
Michelasso
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
Michelasso wrote:
noranthon wrote:

Hello,

I think my version 2.0.2 Windows (basic English) has something similar but it is called Scenarios. There is something about it in Help but the example template seems to be missing.

Btw,
I have the menu entry "Scenarios", but it's disabled.
Michelasso
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villeroy wrote:
Please allow me to jump in with some clarification of tems:
- Goal Seek: Which value in A1 gives a formula-result X in formula-cell B1
- Solver (Addin in Excel): A wizzard, providing an extended goal seek with more arguments and constraints.
- Multiple Operation (function TABLE()): Apply the same calculation-model with one or two variables on different sets of data.
- Scenarios: Provides the possibility to switch calculation-models (a scenario is a named set of constants and formulas in a hidden sheet). Could be used to switch goal seeks and solver results, based on different arguments and contraints.

Kohei Yoshida made a solver-plugin: http://kohei.us/ooo/solver/. I guess, someone dropped that into the ubuntu-compilation without documentation nor testing.

Ok, I have looked into files installed by openoffice.org-calc ubuntu package, and I could find a /usr/lib/openoffice/program/scsolver.uno.so that suggests that it should come from Kohei Yoshida plugin, since the name of its binary package is the same (scsolver.uno.zip).
Thanks for your clarification
foxy
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Status of solver in 2.0.2 Reply with quote

Michelasso wrote:
foxy wrote:
Michelasso wrote:
Hello everybody,

Thanks in advance

Not to my knowledge. Since it seems we are using the same distribution (dapper), I can't then explain why I have it and you don't have it, as I can argue from your message. I will give another look to ubuntu forums.

sorry for some confusion. I read your post at work where I use WinXP. I guess I may have Solver as well on my laptop back in home. I will check it tonight...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: