OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

converting from normal numbers to percantages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr1134

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: converting from normal numbers to percantages Reply with quote

i got a formatting problem. when i convert a cell from number format to a percantage format i get for an 4,5 a 4500,0% while a 4,5 should be a 4,5%.

this can't be that hard, but i still didn't figure out how to solve it.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: converting from normal numbers to percantages Reply with quote

mr1134 wrote:
i got a formatting problem. when i convert a cell from number format to a percantage format i get for an 4,5 a 4500,0% while a 4,5 should be a 4,5%.

this can't be that hard, but i still didn't figure out how to solve it.

It's worse. [I have the English version, so a decimal is "." not "," here]

If I enter 4.5 I do see 4.50%. If I do a calculated entry, the result makes no sense [to me.] I format the cell as percentage, then enter 12/30 expecting then a percentage format of the fraction [0.4 ,seen as 40.00%], and see this: 1129300.00%. If I instead use data from other cells, D1/E1, where D1 has 12, and E1 has 30, I do see the 40.00%, as I should.

Now I've been known to take some pride in being able to do mathematics in the past, but I see no reason in this result. All I can think of is that perhaps the fraction is being translated as a date, and that the internal date representation value is then appearing, formatted as a percentage. That's just a wild guess though, and I've been known to overlook something before.

David.
mr1134

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be my problem. i'm also working with the english version, so it might be confused with the ",".

if i enter a 4,5 into a field that is already formatted as percent it also stays a 4,5. but when i enter it in a cell formatted as number and than convert that cell to percentages, i get as i already told a 4500,0%.
RickRandom
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some suggestions, (all based on . as the UK decimal separator):

1. Always enter a % as "10%" and Calc will realise that you want a percent, so behind the scenes the actual number is 0.1 (because 10% = 10/100 = 0.1) but it shows 10% in the formula bar and on the screen.

2. If you enter the number 10, then format as percentage, it wil show as 1000%. Similarly if you enter 1, then format as percentage, it wil show as 100%. This is correct mathematically.

3. If you enter 12/30 (without an equals sign) it will think you want a date, defaulting to the current year. If you've already formatted as percentage, it wil put the number of days since 1904 or whenever, i.e. several thousand, and then show as a percentage, so a silly number, 3908100%.

4. If you enter =12/30 (with the equals sign) it realises this is a mathematical expression, so shows 40%, if already formatted as percentage.

5. Percent is only a format. Put the number 0.5 in three cells. Format 1 cell as percent, so it shows 50%. Format another as fraction, so it shows as 1/2. Leave the other as 0.5. It's same number behind the scenes in all 3 cells, it's just the format that's different.

Does this help, have I just caused more confusion?
9point9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just how percentages work, I know they confuse some people.

1 = 100% You can prove this because x/x=100% or 1.

1*100 != 100% it equals 10000%

I would always specify a percentage sign.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickRandom wrote:

4. If you enter =12/30 (with the equals sign) it realises this is a mathematical expression, so shows 40%, if already formatted as percentag

I would have hoped that the purpose of formatting a cell as a percentage would be to convert any entered or calculated value to an expression of percent.

Then entering 12/30, which has a value of 0.4, should be seen visually as 40.00% [default 2 decimals.] It is not. It is seen as 12/30%, to the left of the cell, so possibly as text? I see from your note [thanks] that the expression must be preceded by an = sign, otherwise it is thought of as a date.

The problem is one of consistent expectation. Something new every day.

David.
RickRandom
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, formatting shouldn't convert the actual number, only how it is displayed.

I suggest:

When entering a fixed percentage that is not a calculation, type 40%, using the percent symbol. When overwriting it, don't type the % again, just type 30 if you want 30%.

When entering a calculation that you want to show as a percentage, just do the calculation, e.g. =12/30 without a % symbol, enter that, then set the format to percent.

As a numbers nerd, I find it easy to get a spreadsheet to do the percentages how I want them, but it doesn't mean it's easy to explain to someone else.
9point9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickRandom wrote:
To me, formatting shouldn't convert the actual number, only how it is displayed.

It doesn't convert the number as such. 1 = 100% under all circumstances, there is no form of conversion to do that. 1 x 100 != 100%.

From what I've seen this is a standard thing for any spreadsheet to do.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
RickRandom
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9point9 wrote:
[It doesn't convert the number as such. 1 = 100% under all circumstances, there is no form of conversion to do that. 1 x 100 != 100%.

From what I've seen this is a standard thing for any spreadsheet to do.

I concur. I wasn't suggesting it does convert, it was just that David had said

I would have hoped that the purpose of formatting a cell as a percentage would be to convert any entered or calculated value to an expression of percent.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickRandom wrote:
it was just that David had said

What David meant was that you can "convert" from a fraction to a decimal to a percentage and vice versa. All have the same value, of course. [I used to teach the stuff and well beyond, and still love to solve math problems. Check out "The pirate problem." from George Gamow.] My expectation was that a fraction entered as 12/30 would be recognised as such. My error was in not preceding it with an = sign.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: