OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

"Find and Replace..." to be more like MS Word

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

OO to have "Find and Replace..." more like MS Word. The regular expression is unable to search line break etc.
Yes
92%
 92%  [ 13 ]
No
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

lsropia
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: "Find and Replace..." to be more like MS Word Reply with quote

Sir,

I am a great admirer of linux & OpenOffice and using this for last 3 years and not used the MicroSoft Word(MSW) since. Back then, I remember that MSW was very friendly to search for special characters like new line, form feed, new paragraph, and many others. We could either select the desired characters through check boxes or could do simple copy-paste. The formatting was much easy and controlled by such search. I wished such facility was available in OO too.

But a long time has passed and the waiting seems to be unending. The search through the regular expressions in OO is meaningless as it doesnot give the result. OO is wonderful in every aspect except this search function.

If it amounts to the stealing the idea of the rivals, we must do it. Let us make what we are using a better product.

Alex
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usabilitywise OOo is far behind. Regular expressions... thats a nerd feature. A good one, that is. For the hard core user. But really, who else knows how to use it. The approach used in Word works; something similar MUST be added to OOo, or else a lot of people will be cut off from searching for soft hyphens etc. etc.

If the developers can come up with something better than Microsoft, then good. Regular expressions only is a crazy idea, sounds like something made BY programmers FOR programmers.

We don't have to do everything like its done in Word, but if we really dont have a better idea, or an idea that can match it, then why not copy the idea. The important thing is to think of the USERS.

Last edited by Kaaredyret on Fri May 05, 2006 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
esperantisto
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they simply copycat MS Word's find&replace, it'll be a great imporvement in usability.
Angel Blue01
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There needs to be a way to search for line breaks, tab marks, etc. regardless. If it can be done better than Word that'd be great Smile
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The search feature in MSO is currently better than that in OOo, but it's still possible to do a lot better than that.

It would be far better to design something better than to mindlessly rip off someone else's work (along with it's limitations).
RonIA
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, regular expressions is very powerful, but not very approachable for the non-techie who has more modest skills and more modest needs. Emulation of good usability from MS Office is not neccesarily copying.
Weatherlawyer
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaaredyret wrote:
Usabilitywise OOo is far behind. Regular expressions... thats a nerd feature. A good one, that is. For the hard core user. But really, who else knows how to use it. The approach used in Word works; something similar MUST be added to OOo, or else a lot of people will be cut off from searching for soft hyphens etc. etc.

Me for one. I'm going back. Maybe I'll try it again when Open Office is up to the standard of my Microsoft Officeware from the turn of the century.

It's no good having a vehicle that can get you to mars and back if you can't get it out of the garage. All I need is a little runabout. I don't know that OO has everything you need to cope with all the rest of it. Writer should be the flagship. Everything else is just support boats.

Fancy exercises in nerdspeak can be as satisfying as mastering a new game or coming up with the ideal website template but who needs it? I'm like almost every web browser I know, in need of a no nonsense tool that clips and copies text and has all the minimum utilities set out competently to do just that.

Maybe the next generation of homework cribbers coming along will provide the Writer answers as they come to terms with the need and lack of help for it. Or someone seeing their child strufggle to copy someone else's homework perhaps?

How long before 3.0.2 comes out? Any guesses. Shall I come back in 5 years?
RonIA
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KInd of eerie, I was going to post a similar poll about 2 days ago and had not gotten around to it yet...
lsropia
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Find and Replace..." to be more like MS Word Reply with quote

Sir,

We agree on what is needed to make OO a better and more usable product. Now, from here on, how do we make the develpoers work in this direction. I think, they would not take much time to do this, once they start it.

Those who are in the charge OO, are they noticing this poll and feel like doing developement of this?

Alex
RonIA
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert with Issuezilla, has anyone looked to see if this issue is part of the suggestions for the suite?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: