OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

GO AWAY ADVERTISERS--YOU'RE NOT WELCOME HERE!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkfly
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: GO AWAY ADVERTISERS--YOU'RE NOT WELCOME HERE!! Reply with quote

While this forum is listed for people to "discuss anything", it is not to be used as a medium for businesses or individuals to advertise or market. To those who have been taking advantage of this forum lately, GO AWAY--YOU'RE NOT WELCOME HERE!! Also, can someone with authority over this site remove advertising posts and ban those unscrupulous users from ever posting here again? THANKS!!
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We take care of them as soon as we see them. You don't know how many you've never seen Wink

Surely, you don't really think one of these spammers would actually read your message.

John (lurking moderator)
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewforum.phtml?f=7

I see many here... Smile
Sirmatto
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been seeing more and more forums become overrun with spam recently. Granted it's always been around, but it definitely seems to be worsening lately.
Dale
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be a particular problem at the moment. A couple of other boards I frequent on a semi-regular basis are getting buried in it (particularly "tipcell" spam). Compared to them the problem here is really quite minor (if very annoying).

Wanna bet it's due to the diligent efforts of our mods/admins?
JohnV wrote:
We take care of them as soon as we see them. You don't know how many you've never seen

It looks like my earlier opinion was wrong... Sad

OOo documentation from the source
http://documentation.openoffice.org
Guides, FAQ, How Tos
9point9

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to think it may be a 2 way process. They can see how many users view a topic or reply to it and that may be automatically interpreted as meaning that this forum is worth further spamming. We could all just try ignoring it to see if it goes away then.

Who actually buys things from spam? I wouldn't have thought it would be worth the time writing the program to do it.

It may be fixable by blocking any new messages posted in under a minute. No genuine user would be posting more than once a minute and I have seen this used on some other boards. It means you'd only get one message from a spammer, not 30.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9point9 wrote:
Who actually buys things from spam? I wouldn't have thought it would be worth the time writing the program to do it.

I once read that e-mail spammers only need 50 responses to ever million e-mails in order to be profitable.

The moderators do the best we can, but please, if you see spam, report it to us, either by e-mail or PM. I can't speak for other mods, but sometimes I don't get the chance to visit the forum for several days or even a week or more. It's just not feasible for me to then check all the new messages for potential spam. Reporting spam via PM or e-mail will help us immensely.

Russ
9point9

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen draude for weeks. We need him to ban these people as he is the only one with the power. I've PM'd him about it with no reply and have also volunteered to become a mod as there just doesn't seem to be the man power.

So where is draude?

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Reporting spam via PM or e-mail will help us immensely.

I have looked for an email address or some directory of administrators (with PM links) and not been able to find any such details. How does one communicate if one does not know who the moderators are?
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
We take care of them as soon as we see them. You don't know how many you've never seen Wink

Surely, you don't really think one of these spammers would actually read your message.

John (lurking moderator)

What exactly have you done to "take care" of the user tipcell?

As far as I can see absolutely nothing has been done. The fact that he is still posting the same messages shows that the problem has not been dealt with!
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

A moderator can only delete spam. The administrator is the only one that can ban a member and I have contacted the administrator concerning Tipcell without success. Perhaps he's on a long vacation.
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noranthon wrote:
Quote:
Reporting spam via PM or e-mail will help us immensely.

I have looked for an email address or some directory of administrators (with PM links) and not been able to find any such details. How does one communicate if one does not know who the moderators are?

Almost every page (if not every page) has a "OOoForum.org Forum Index" link - clicking that takes you to a page showing the forums. Under the description for each forum is a description, and "Moderator Team". If you click the Team link you will be taken to this page:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/groupcp.phtml?g=131

That link is also shown when viewing a forum.

which lists all the moderators. I don't give my e-mail address away, as most don't. But if you PM me, I get an e-mail notification.

Russ
Dale
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avantman42 wrote:
The moderators do the best we can, but please, if you see spam, report it to us, either by e-mail or PM.
Have you thought this through, Russ? I've got this picture of every man and his dog sending you a PM every time a post that looks even remotely like spam appears. Will your inbox cope?

Maybe requesting a few frequent contributors to send you a message will work better (I'll vounteer - you will probably be overwhelmed with volunteers).

Or maybe it's possible to set up a dummy account (spampolice) that the mods/admins could access - and we could post to there (if that would work better)...

+ + + +

BTW there is currently what appears to be spam from user likenicegirl, topic "hair" (I've not viewed the message).

OOo documentation from the source
http://documentation.openoffice.org
Guides, FAQ, How Tos
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Almost every page (if not every page) has a "OOoForum.org Forum Index" link - clicking that takes you to a page showing the forums. Under the description for each forum is a description, and "Moderator Team". If you click the Team link you will be taken to this page:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/groupcp.phtml?g=131

Should have noticed, sorry - I guess "Team" was just so familiar I attached no importance to it.

I tend to agree with Dale. The moderators could get swamped but I suspect it's more likely that people will not want to go through the business of sending a personal message about every piece of spam they see. Dale, for example, has just added a postscript to his post, presumably in preference to sending a pm. I noticed the same thread and, really, I do not want to be diverted by the need to send a pm either.

The Linux questions forum has introduced a "tag" system, not for spam but for the convenience of members. Something like that could be used, perhaps on the forum index page, so that members could tag a thread that looked like spam. Two or three tags and a moderator could investigate.

PS That other forum also has a mechanism for reporting bad posts.
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noranthon wrote:
The moderators could get swamped but I suspect it's more likely that people will not want to go through the business of sending a personal message about every piece of spam they see. Dale, for example, has just added a postscript to his post, presumably in preference to sending a pm. I noticed the same thread and, really, I do not want to be diverted by the need to send a pm either.

This is why I'm not concerned about getting swamped with PMs about spam. I suspect most people won't actually PM me or the other mods about it. People have PM'd me about spam in the past, but it doesn't happen very often.

Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: