OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OOo Bibliography

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vero
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: OOo Bibliography Reply with quote

Hello !

I'm currently using OOo in order to write a quite long document (100 pages) with several chapters. For the first one, I have completed the bibliographic database biblio1.dbf and edit the bibliography table with numerical short names.

For the second chapter, I have completed the bibliographic database biblio2.dbf. My problem is that when I insert bibliographic entries, the numerotation of the short name doesn't restarted 1 but follow the list of the bibliographic entries of the first chapter.

In fact I would like to know if it is possible to have a bibliographic table for each chapter with numbering entries restarting 1 each time? I have read tutorials on how to do a bibliography but I haven't found anything about it... Sad

Thanks
Vero
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody can help me please ?
duff
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you write each chapter as a separate document and then insert a reference list at the end of each chapter?

Cheers

duff
Vero
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if there is no other solution, it is what I'm going to do but if I can avoid that... Very Happy because it would pose other problems for the table of content and etc...

Thanks for your help !
duff
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you use the Master Document function. I don't really know much about it because I've never used it but it allows you to put together separate documents into one large doc (i think). If you could add your bibliographies as you go along then the Master doc might solve the table of contents problem.

Just a thought

Cheers

duff
Vero
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have tried to use the Master Document Function but it didn't solved my problem of bibliography. In fact, when I put together all the chapters in the Master Document, the numbering of the bibliographic entries is lost and when I updated the table, all the bibliographic entries of all the chapters are displayed on the same table...

Another idea?
jeanweber

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be able to come up with a way to solve your problem, but I don't know whether I will have time in the next 4-5 days. Can you wait that long? I can't promise to figure it out, but it's a good question that I'm sure affects many people. If I can figure it out, I'll write about it in the Bibliography chapter of the Writer Guide as well as giving the answer here.
Vero
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, of course I can wait for 4-5 days ! Very Happy
It will be nice if you can find a solution ! Good luck !
Vero
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeanweber, have you find a solution to my bibliographic problem ? Question
ftack

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Jean didn't find a solution yet. I don't think it currently is possible in an automated way. You can insert as many bibliographies as you want in one Writer document, but unfortunately, Writer does not support to have different bibliographies cover different sections of the document, in contrast to Tables of Contents, which have that feature.

If you are working with a numbering system, you could automate at least the reference numbering using fields. In this approach, you would type your reference list, and insert the numbers as a number range. You then mark the automatic number and insert a Reference (this time, I refer to a Writer reference: Ctrl+F2, References tab, Set Reference). Then, in the body text, you can insert your citations by inserting the reference (Ctrl+F2, References tab, Insert references).

Later on, you can reorder your reference list (which will be a manual process). You can use Ctrl+Alt+arrows up/down to conveniently move individual references a few entries up or down. Doing this, both the numbering of the references and the in text citations will be automatically updated (You may need to "Select All" and F9 to update the fields)
Vero
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Thank you very much for your answer ! So I will try your technique or maybe Bibus...

Hoping that this kind of feature will be soon integrated to OOo !
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vero wrote:
OK. Thank you very much for your answer ! So I will try your technique or maybe Bibus...

Hoping that this kind of feature will be soon integrated to OOo !

Hi Vero,

I think you will find that bibus is much better than the bibliography component of OOo but I don't think that it will handle your problem either.
p.sperling
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A link with my warm recommendation: http://scholarsaid.com/aboutsafree.html

Unfortunately, the program is good for native speakers only (I am not), but it is IMO much better and intuitive than anything else. And it integrates well with OOo.

Bibliography is one of many Achilles' heels of OOo (together with page numbering and citations). It should be improved ASAP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: