OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

I'll pay for someone to convert my MS Access db to OO Base

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gonzo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: I'll pay for someone to convert my MS Access db to OO Base Reply with quote

I've tried fiddling with converting an Access database to OO Base, and it doesn't seem worth it if I can get someone to fix it for me.

The reason I need it converted is that it has to be transferred to a Mac and Access doesn't exist there.

It's a one page form with about 30 different entry fields (including a number of drop down menu boxes). I just need it set up in exactly the same way in OO Base (I can fiddle with polishing the layout myself, just need all the fields to be right and in the right order).

I will also need step-by-step instructions on transferring the actual data since it's confidential medical records.

I figure 50 USD should be fair. It shouldn't take too long for someone well versed in both databases.

If you would like to do it and accept paypal, please let me know.
(R. E.) Bruce Martin
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: There is a way to convert, but... Reply with quote

Dear Gonzo:

No need to pay someone to import the table from Access. There is a way, I have done it.

Here is a paste iof a page that worked for me.
==========================================================================
AUTHOR'S MAIN SITE > > > > > TABLE OF CONTENTS for version 2 Open Office database tutorials.
Open Office 2 Base (database) Tutorials
Importing data

This site tries to persuade you to try the database which is being shipped with version two of OpenOffice. Forget any experiences you may have had with Adabas, which came with the commercial version of Open Office 1.... the Open Office version 2 database, "Base", is unrelated. And remember that Open Office, including Base, is free! Page contents (c) TK Boyd, 2/06.

There's more about the database being shipped with Open Office 2, "Base", in the main index to this material.

This page is "browser friendly". Make your browser window as wide as you want it. The text will flow nicely for you. It is easier to read in a narrow window.
Introduction
In this tutorial, I am trying to show you how to import data from other sources into Open Office Base tables.

You may find that you don't need to do imports... Base can, up to a point, work with data created by other RDMSs... but you are going to encounter fewer hassles if you take the trouble to rebuild your database in Base.

I wish I could tell you how to move everything from your old application into Base. Sadly, all that I cover here is taking single tables from your old database and moving them into Base tables. I will be rebuilding my own forms, reports, etc, from scratch. But at least we don't need to re-type all of the underlying data!

The plan is simple enough:

Convert old data to a "lingua Franca" called csv.
Fill an Open Office Calc spreadsheet with that data.
Copy the contents of the spreadsheet onto the clipboard
Paste the data into a new table.

So let's get started! But first: Thanks to "JohnV" at the Open Office Forum for the seed which grew into this tutorial.

Data to CSV
"CSV" stands for "Comma Separated Values".

Suppose (as I do!) I had a database with the names of books I've read, author, the number of pages, and the year I read them. That data, in csv form, might look like....

"Lord of the Rings", "Tolkien", 1065, 1969
"Angel Maker", "Pearson", 465, 1998
"Lion, Witch, Wardrobe", "Lewis", 256, 1970

All those "s are pretty annoying, but the last record shows you why their needed.

Whatever database your data is in at the moment should have a tool to export the data to a csv file. Certainly Paradox does. I can't tell you too much about this part of the exercise. You'll have to get the csv export done by yourself! If you can't get directly to csv, you may find that your other application lets you move a table to a spreadsheet. If you can get it from there into the Open Office Calc spreadsheet somehow, then you won't need the csv file. That is all we are going to use it for. You may even be able to bypass the Open Office Calc spreadsheet, copying directly from your other spreadsheet.

The tab character is sometimes used in place of a comma in export files. If that is all your application offers, it is worth a try, would probably work.

From CSV to Spreadsheet
To import a csv file into an Open Office Calc spreadsheet:

Open a spreadsheet, an old one will do, but a new one would be more usual for this sort of work.

The contents of the csv file will be entered into a new sheet, so it doesn't matter what cell is currently selected.

From the menu: Insert | Sheet from file.

Double click on the csv file with the data to be imported.

Tick the relevant separator options. You will see a preview of the import. It will change as you revise the options.

Click okay.. and all should be well!

Do not close the spreadsheet.

From Spreadsheet to Base table
Remember that a database may consist of several tables, forms, queries, reports.

You are merely creating a new table. Either open an existing database, or start a new database in the usual way. If starting a new one, select "Register / Open database", but do not select "Create tables with wizard". I created a new one, saved in
C:\My Documents\FreeDB\FDB006\
as FDB006.odb

Go back to the spreadsheet holding your data. Insert a row above the top of the data. Type column names into the new cells. The the contents of these cells will be used to name the fields.

Select all of the data, and the field name cells.

Press ctrl-C (Shortcut for copy)

Go back to the database. Select "Tables" in the "Database" pane.

Right-click in the "Tables" pane. Click on "Paste"

BE SURE TO TICK "Create primary key". Leave "Data and definitions" selected.

Click Next.

The "Apply columns" page lets you decide which columns you want in the new table. You will probably want them all, and the >> button allows you to have them easily.

Click next.

In the "Type formatting" page, you may be able to leave most things unchanged, BUT: If you have any numerical data in what you are importing, it would be best to change the default field type which you will otherwise get for those fields.

If you specify too few characters for a text field, then any records which are too long will trigger a message during the "create table" phase, but I'm afraid the records are just dropped. You can use the database's ID field's value as a guide for finding the lost records in the spreadsheet copy of the data.

If you have some numbers which are not integers, for instance amounts of money, the type which would work for me was "Decimal", AND I had to raise the number of decimal places above the default "0".

If you have dates to import, they are probably going to be their own special sort of nightmare.... the usually are, anyway... across all applications! But they "should" work, and sometimes will. Experiment, but check your data imports carefully! Among other things, be sure that 1/2/2006 comes out the way you want it. 1st of Feb or 2nd of Jan? It can mean either, depending on what part of the world you are in, and computers get confused. Having said all of that, I should add that I have seen dates work... with a following wind!

Click "Create", and, after a moment, your table should be done. Double click on it's name to open it.

That wasn't too painful, now, was it? (Unless dates were involved!)

Editorial Philosophy

I dislike 'fancy' websites with more concern for a flashy appearance than for good content. For a pretty picture, I can go to an art gallery. Of course, an attractive site WITH content deserves praise... as long as that pretty face doesn't cost download time. In any case....

I am trying to present this material in a format which makes it easy for you to USE it. There are two aspects to that: The way it is split up, and the way it is posted. See the main index to this material for more information about the way it is split up, and the way it is posted.
Ad from page's editor: Yes.. I do enjoy compiling these things for you... hope they are helpful. However.. this doesn't pay my bills!!! If you find this stuff useful, (and you run an MS-DOS or Windows PC) please visit my freeware and shareware page, download something, and circulate it for me? Links on your page to this page would also be appreciated!

Click here to visit editor's Sheepdog Software (tm) freeware, shareware pages.
If you liked that, see the main index to this material about "Base" for more pages from the editor of these tutorials.
Editor's email address. Suggestions welcomed!

One last bit of advice: Be sure you know all you need to about spyware.

....... P a g e . . . E n d s .....
=======================================================================
(R. E.) Bruce Martin
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: To Gonzo: The "but". Reply with quote

To follow this, see my new topic in this forum about editing from Base forms. you will see where I am at in this trail of problems.

Base is relatively new and still needs a lot of work. sorry but we're now in the same boat!

Bruce Martin
gonzo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I figure there's someone here with fair knowledge of both databases who can easily copy one to another.. and that's a headache I'd like to be without. Some things just cause me more headaches than they're worth, even if they're simple in principle.

So the offer still stands Smile
(R. E.) Bruce Martin
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Not me, gonzo. Reply with quote

Dear Gonzo:

I don't accept paypal, so I can't help you.

Bruce Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: