OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Saving .txt Files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bronc
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Saving .txt Files Reply with quote

OK, instead of opening them, how do I save them properly?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Saving .txt Files Reply with quote

Bronc wrote:
OK, instead of opening them, how do I save them properly?

Assuming you mean savining several cells, each with text, Save As and choose CSV.

David.
Bronc
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i figured that out about five minutes after i posted it, but the way i want it saved it ruins the formatting.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronc wrote:
yeah, i figured that out about five minutes after i posted it, but the way i want it saved it ruins the formatting.

CSV is strictly data. Formatting implies keeping the spreadsheet [or wordprocessor] codes; i.e. saving AS a spreadsheet. If simply passing the data to another program, it is up to the other program to determine what formatting is needed there. Considering the wide variety of programs that can make use of a CSV file, it's still pretty awesome, yet so simple. It is the stuff other than the raw data that make the file a spreadsheet or whatever.

David.
Bronc
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it help if i posted the .txt i wanted to preserve?
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronc wrote:
would it help if i posted the .txt i wanted to preserve?

Bronc,
I think that you are asking the wrong question but I am not sure what the right one is. And yes it probably would help if we could see what you want to save.

A handy place to post a file that others can read is http://www.mytempdir.com

However, to return to the question: When you say that you want to save something as.txt this means in computer terms that you "want" to save with no formatting, i,e, that you want to strip all the formatting from the text leaving only the 'raw' text. That is exactly what David gave you.

It does not sound like that is what you want to do. Can you give us a bit of description of what you have and what you want to achieve?

BTW, you might want to look at Edit > Paste Special > and see if there is anything there that might help.
Bronc
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh. never knew about this site.

Click Here

i'm actually doing a project for a game and this file can only be done in spreadsheet form. if it doesn't get saved properly the game won't work properly.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronc wrote:

Click Here

i'm actually doing a project for a game and this file can only be done in spreadsheet form. if it doesn't get saved properly the game won't work properly.

Uh, what it this supposed to look like or do?

I seem to have a text file that I cannot properly open in Calc because the first three lines are
Code:
This file contains ship data for SFC

<- keep this coulmn blank if your line is a comment....

and this is followed by 61 blank lines. The actual data seem to start on line 65.

Once I delete the 64 lines and save the file as a csv file I can open it in Calc however there seems to be some 0's in the first column that don't make sense. Have a look at
http://ca.geocities.com/jrkrideau/OpenOffice/spacebats.jpg to see what I mean.

You need to give us a clue about what the thing is supposed to be or to do. and what it or is not missing when you save it as a text file. Is this supposed to feed into a database for the game or is it a layout for developing rules or what??
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronc wrote:

You seem to be expecting a lot, but offering little. If you need the file as a spreadsheet, rename the filename.txt as filename.csv. When you decide to bring that into Calc, be sure to choose the TAB delimiter to separate into cells.

You say it must be "saved properly", but don't say what "properly" is.

David.
Bronc
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
Bronc wrote:

Click Here

Uh, what it this supposed to look like or do?

I seem to have a text file that I cannot properly open in Calc because the first three lines are
Code:
This file contains ship data for SFC

<- keep this coulmn blank if your line is a comment....

and this is followed by 61 blank lines. The actual data seem to start on line 65.

Once I delete the 64 lines and save the file as a csv file I can open it in Calc however there seems to be some 0's in the first column that don't make sense. Have a look at
http://ca.geocities.com/jrkrideau/OpenOffice/spacebats.jpg to see what I mean.

You need to give us a clue about what the thing is supposed to be or to do. and what it or is not missing when you save it as a text file. Is this supposed to feed into a database for the game or is it a layout for developing rules or what??

That's supposed to be that way, don't ask. This file is from a game from the 1990's so the file should look sloppy. Laughing it's kind of like a database, yes. this file has all the ship data and weapons and model files. If i were to open it in notepad i wouldn't be able to edit it properly because of the complex workings of the file. but if i were to open it in spreadsheet form it would be much easier to edit without royall ****ing something up.

@ David: If you look at that file, you'll see.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronc wrote:
David: If you look at that file, you'll see.

I did. Let's try again:

1. I change the file name to sfbspc13.csv
2. I open it using Calc, and am shown a dialogue in which I can select the Tab delimiter. I do.
3. It is now a spreadsheet. I can edit that.
4. I Save As, and choose to save as CSV.
5. I change the extension back to TXT, and am done.

Whatever else you have in mind, I've run out of options.

David.
Bronc
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, your way works. everything is the same. thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: