OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Installer problems.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phy00x

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Installer problems. Reply with quote

I have downloaded the English version of OOo with JRE several times. Each time I get an NSIS Error message that states "The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete. This may be due to a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus". I have downloaded it several times and tried from each of the US mirrors. I am using XP Pro. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

-phy
robina
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The message you get suggests what to do:

Use another downloader, download OOo and Java separately.
Check the hard disk using chkdsk or a diagnostics program for your disk.
Run the anti-malware (anti virus, etc.) software you use.
9point9

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to check that it is not a download error you could check the integrity of the download by taking an md5sum:
http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.2/md5sums.html
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/using_md5sums.html

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
pulsifer
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try upgrading/reinstalling the Windows Installer. The latest version can be downloaded from microsoft.com.

Last edited by pulsifer on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
GayzeN
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm experiencing the same problem on Win XP Home. Have tried both downloading with JRE and without, no success with either, though when I downloaded "with", the installer ran, got as far as installing the Java runtime, and *then* errored out saying a library in the unpacked files was missing. I tried uninstalling Java and reinstalling several different times, and each time got the same problem ... but a *different* file was reported as missing or corrupted.

It was when I downloaded without the JRE that I recieved the listed error message in this thread.

My Windows Installer has worked (plus it's a brand new install of XP on a new hard drive, SP2 is installed) fine for everything else I've downloaded and installed ... which is an extensive list, as I had to redownload and reinstall all my programs after my old drive crashed. OpenOffice is the only thing that won't install for me.

I'm not sure of the sense of checking the integrity of the download with md5sum, as it's obvious that the download's corrupted. I did try installing the Firefox version of md5sum plugin last night, though, and it's not up to date -- the latest version of Firefox can't install it.

Antivirus (CA EZAntivirus) reports clean. It's a brand new hard drive and diagnostics were done on it at install by the computer shop (who I've used for years and trust well) yesterday.

I am using Firefox 1.5.0.3 -- is anyone else having this problem using the same browser, perchance? Having had great success with Firefox in everything else, I'm very reluctant to install another download application and mess up a good thing for the sake of one program. First rule of computing: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. <G> (Just wait till it breaks, cuz it will eventually, right?) However, I need the OO suite.

Would appreciate any suggestions, thanks!
pulsifer
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GayzeN wrote:
I'm not sure of the sense of checking the integrity of the download with md5sum, as it's obvious that the download's corrupted.

This is not so obvious to me. It could be a corrupted download, or it could be a bug in the OOo distribution. It still seems worthwhile to me to verify the md5sum.

If you look here, http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/using_md5sums.html, there are also instructions for verifying the md5sum under Windows using a GUI or command line tool, instead of a Firefox extension. See the instructions under "This is how you verify MD5 Checksums under Windows:"

Last edited by pulsifer on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
GayzeN
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, there, thanks for your suggestion!

I downloaded the cmd prompt version of md5sum.exe ... ran it on the install package and got "Permission Denied".

--Gayle
pulsifer
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GayzeN wrote:
I downloaded the cmd prompt version of md5sum.exe ... ran it on the install package and got "Permission Denied".--Gayle

Interesting... Do you have someone there local who is familiar with Windows XP administration and can check file permissions, etc. for you? (If so, please ask them to report back on the source of this problem--it would be good to get to the bottom of this and understand what is happening.)

GayzeN
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

"There" is here and "them" is me. Smile I'm a home user, the only account on the computer, and definitely have administrative privileges. Permissions on the file, etc, are set to read/write, already checked. I even set the download to Read Only and then back to full access, and it didn't help.

I've re-downloaded the "without JRE" installer and the same error, the same issue with md5sum.exe. The download appears to go smoothly.
GayzeN
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GayzeN wrote:
Thanks!

"There" is here and "them" is me. Smile I'm a home user, the only account on the computer, and definitely have administrative privileges. Permissions on the file, etc, are set to read/write, already checked. I even set the download to Read Only and then back to full access, and it didn't help.

I've re-downloaded the "without JRE" installer and the same error, the same issue with md5sum.exe. The download appears to go smoothly.

Just an update that I've tried downloading the most recent previous release, 2.0.1, I think (?), and get the same error.
pulsifer
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect there's something up with the "Permission Denied" that may provide a clue to the problem, but its difficult to diagnose remotely.

GayzeN
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably right there. I got the same error with trying to check the older version with md5sum.

I'm trying a different download manager now. It has reported a disk write error in one section.
GayzeN
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followup: the first attempt to download with Free Download Manager failed ... it maxed out as to the number of sections it could create and quit at 75%. Four different sections were reporting "unknown disk write error".

I tried again, saving to a different folder/location on the drive, and upping the number of sections the manager could create. As it turns out, it didn't have to use any more than standard this time anyway, and successfully, I thought, downloaded the file.

I tried to run the installer, it ran through the "checking installer" process to 100%, appeared to be successful, and then hit me with the same error about the installer being corrupt.

However, I was able to check the md5sum this time. They do not appear to match:

According to the site:
d80d239e1b358d97ebfc140441ba3e05 OOo_2.0.2_Win32Intel_install_wJRE.exe

On my machine:
dea756ad1dcb10b11d43574736b5b6a6 *OOo_2.0.2_Win32Intel_install_wJRE.exe

I give up. Sigh.
pulsifer
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try the BitTorrent download. I've found BitTorrent to be very reliable. It requires you to first download and install a BitTorrent client (I suggest the "official" client), then download/launch the .torrent file.

See http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/index.html

GayzeN
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestion ... maybe Sunday. I'm rather burnt out at the moment, have redownloaded the file from various sites and in various versions a total of eight times so far. Plus md5sum applications, download managers, etc, etc, all trying to get this one installation to work.

Oddly, I've installed (via download) four other major programs in the past two days, all of which are essential to my life and business, and this is the only one I've had a single problem with. The others all downloaded and installed via Firefox ... well, except for Firefox itself <G> ... without a hiccup.

I really do appreciate the efforts, though! Thank you again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: