OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OpenOffice Integration with web browser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gohyongkwang

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice Integration with web browser Reply with quote

Hi.

Just been wondering if it will ever be possible for OpenOffice to be as integrated with web browsers (e.g. Mozilla and Firefox) like how Microsoft integrated MS Office into Internet Explorer.

In MSIE, when we click on a link that references a Word document, Excel spreadsheet or PowerPoint presentation, the view will be opened directly within the browser, instead of starting a new application window.

I believe MS achieve this via some OLE or ActiveX functionality in Windows and MSIE. Is it ever possible that OpenOffice will be integrated in the same way in Firefox or Mozilla, or will it spawn off security issues instead?
9point9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Mozilla plugin available with OOo but I choose not to use it. In my view people shouldn't be posting documents on the web for viewing like that, thats what HTML is for.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
antonbijl
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9point9 wrote:
In my view people shouldn't be posting documents on the web for viewing like that, thats what HTML is for.

I agree. Few things irritate me quite as much as when I follow a link from Google and a Word document opens.
Angel Blue01
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some cases (such as my classes) where a word processing document should be posted on the Web, for downloading and editing later. Also Word's document format embeds fonts, PDF has some problems with that from what I've encountered. I agree that its useful funstionality to open a document in the Web browser, but unless its generated dynamically or is used to provide feedback to other pages on the site (via macros) there usually isn't a point.
antonbijl
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel Blue01 wrote:
There are some cases (such as my classes) where a word processing document should be posted on the Web, for downloading and editing later.

Sure, but I think at least 95% of the .doc's out there on the web are not there for this reason, but rather because people are too lazy or ignorant to post html pages. Also you can download any type of file in most browsers (including OOo), and later edit it using the appropriate software. You don't really need browser integration for that.

As far as browser integration goes, I'm sure there are some very good arguments for it, but I personally just don't like it. If a document is not in a format that a browser can display then I prefer to download it and open it separately in the application of my choice.

That's just my personal preference though and since there are definitely people who want it, I guess it makes sense for OOo to seriously look at making it a standard feature. But I would definitely want to be able to turn it off according to my preference.
9point9

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel Blue01 wrote:
Also Word's document format embeds fonts, PDF has some problems with that from what I've encountered.

The MS Word format does not embed fonts, PDF does. I have seen errors in Word documents caused by incorrect fonts, this will not happen in a PDF under normal circumstances. The only times it might happen is when in Adobe Reader the 'Use system fonts' option is enabled (which is quicker) in which case it will warn upon errors.

A reason why not to post non-browser content on the Internet is that even when viewing it, it still must be downloaded and saved as a temporary file. A file that is not treated in the same way as the browser cache, thus taking up disk space pointlessly.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
Angel Blue01
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Word format does embed fonts, but not by default. I've seen documents where fonts are embedded to create a title,

Here's a document with a font called 'SW Crawl Title'

I've posted one on my Web site, please download, will probably not work correctly in OOo: http://angel_blue01.tripod.com/test.doc
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MS Word 2000: Tools > Options > Save > "Embed True Type fonts"
girlpower

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Gotta think like a non Tech Reply with quote

While I totally agree that HTML is the preferred method for web documentation, there are many reasons to also have document files posted. In some cases, it is for collaboration. Unless all companies support the use of Whiteboards, there is still a need for RTF style documents.

Someone mentioned that Oo did have a plugin/extension for Firefox? Please post a link to if if you know where it is. I cannot find it via Mozilla's site.

TIA
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mozilla plugin is in the OpenOffice programme folder: <path>/program/libnpsoplugin.so

On Linux (and Mac?) create a symlink in the browser's plugin folder. On Windows, I suppose, copy the file to that folder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: