OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Microsoft Publisher?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corfy

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revnomad wrote:
I've been disappointed by the number of people who use *.pub instead of *.pdf. Most of them should know better.

I'm not talking about documents for collaberation. I'm talking about final documents used for distribution.

Boy, I know what you mean. We see it all the time at work (which, among other things, is a commercial printing operation).

But what is really amazing is we don't see PUB files as "printer ready" files nearly as much as we see DOC files. We recently had someone send us a heavily formatted (with lots of fonts, some of which we didn't have) 16-page newsletter for printing in one big Word file. The problem is, the page breaks on our Word weren't the same as the page breaks on their Word, so the 16 page file actually took up 19 pages, and we basically had to rework the entire thing. If they had made it a PDF, we wouldn't have had that problem.
Angel Blue01
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revnomad wrote:

I'm not talking about documents for collaberation. I'm talking about final documents used for distribution.

The printer that my church uses accepts ONLY .doc, .pub, .pdf, the main Publisher user doesn't like Word (I mentioned OOo, we'll see Wink ) so I have her printing to PDF. She E-mails that and is done. Other users still send final files in Publisher format, although I'm trying to discourage that. They're used to sending final copies in the same format they made them in.
Ivegottheskill

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very interested in an Open Office counterpart to MS Publisher. Its basically the only piece of software from MS Office that I use.

Gives me far more control over the location of text and images, can make birthday cards, brochures, etc. and WYSIWYG
9point9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then try Scribus. MS Publisher is not part of Office so I am surprised how many people want an equivalent in OOo.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
Corfy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Publisher is part of MS Office, just not the standard version of Office (which only comes with Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).

You need to get the Small Business Version ($450 for the full copy) or the Professional version ($500 for the full copy) to have Publisher bundled in Office. Or you can pay $230 for the stand alone Publisher. (For the record, a full copy of the standard version costs $400)

But if you want to still want to argue that Publisher isn't part of MS Office, then you need to argue that Access isn't part of Office, either, since it is only available with the Professional version.

Now Visio, which pops up on these forums occasionally, is not a part of Office, even though many would argue that it should be. I'm not one of those arguing, however. Laughing

But at work, we only have a handful of copies of Publisher floating around, mainly because we have a few copies of MS Office Professional due to the fact that the people need Access. And of the people that have Publisher, I know of one person who really likes it. I'm not sure anyone else even uses it. I have it on my computer, and I don't use it (then again, I don't use Word, Excel or PowerPoint, either now that I have OOo). Of course, I'm used to programs like Quark XPress and Scribus, so Publisher seems very limiting to me.
Angel Blue01
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my church's case, as I've said, everyone uses Publisher. they make banners, newsletters, even a calender, at at home make cards, labels, they don't even think of making these things in Word becasue all they know Word as is a word processor inapprpriate for the tasks. Its the most used Office program behind Word and maybe Excel.

That OEM Office 2000 Small Business disc has gotten a lot of use; Rolling Eyes
Kieseyhow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: More on Publisher Reply with quote

Greets to all,

One highly useful function of publisher, is the print engine. It is exceptionally useful when combined with OLE. For instance, I have one of those annoying "Win-printers" that does NOT like postscript at all; You know what I mean- a multi-function device. I have found, that by creating a frame in Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator then embedding that into a blank Publisher document, I can effectively print fully professional quality output on my old Canon MP360. I get all the power of a fully editable vector graphic going through
Publishers print engine that allows simple and highly configurable flexibility for most general print jobs. I have had a lot of trouble doing something "simple" but at an interpolated resolution from professional publishing software through a print engine that expects you to have a $3000 printer. Publisher allows me to mix and match highly complex and top quality output in a manageable with practically any printer. Now, before any of you leap at tapping out a rebuttal to this, I suggest you experiment. I am currently trying the same approach with OoDraw. I still think that all prejudices aside, Ooo 'should' allow for as many as possible import filters and file formats. I cannot convey enough, for instance, the simpleness or whipping open a Linux Crossover Office document into OoWriter and saving it as a Word 2003 editable document! Just that ease of being able to exchange files (after all, it's the content, not the layout that is really important in day to day buisness, usually) from one platform to another makes this one of my favourite programs. You should see the faces of someone when they realize I can slip in their flash key and read their Linux generated files and then send them to someone else in another 'Windows' format. That saves them the whole mess of tinkering with WINE and such. It is just useful and "cool" ... *grins* It would be awesome if OoDraw were the first and only program able to do that with *.pub files and *.pdf's.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous,
than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-6Cool, civil rights leader.
Strength to Love, pt. 4, ch. 3 (1963)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
will2b
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: PDFCreator Reply with quote

PDFCreator easily creates PDFs from any Windows program. Use it like a printer in Word, StarCalc or any other Windows application.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/
vmatoso
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word used to be a great app. That was when it was simple and fast, yet powerful.
Now is the most annoying and absurd, oversized, full of redundancies piece of shitware ever built by MS.
And the 2007 version is even worse. It took me 10 min. to figure out how to access the command "Save as..."
It's totally overwhelming, but in a hopeless way.

Two tips:
1- Never send a Word doc to the printers. Never. Convert it to .pdf.
2- Never use Word to generate web pages. Never, Never, Never. Copy the text and whatever you may able to rescue and start over in Dreamweaver or any other decent web creation soft.
Juliff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Need of .pub import. Reply with quote

Hi to everybody.

I'm use the MSPublisher to create a free amateur magazine.
The main feacture is the hability of print 4 pages in a legal sheet and auto-arrange in a litle book format (eg. if the publish have 20 page, in the first legal sheet prints the 20 and 1 page, in the second page prints the 2 and 19...).

I'm think that the pass from propietary software to an open (and oportunaly free) will be more easy to everybody if the open parts support the old-close formats... independent from the how-much, how-many and what-use... The universe of users is more big than any programmer can imagine (in the open and free software the sum of actual and potential will be huge).

My work will be very-very more easy (and less cost) if any free/open program can open the pub format and edit them.

Regards to all!! Smile
Excuse my english grammar but my natural language is Spanish! Wink
Juliff
Corfy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Need of .pub import. Reply with quote

Juliff wrote:
My work will be very-very more easy (and less cost) if any free/open program can open the pub format and edit them.

Well, you could always talk to Microsoft and see if they will release the file format for Publisher for anyone to use. I'm sure OOo would love to be able to use but don't have the resources to reverse engineer that particular file format.
Juliff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, no sarcasm is needed...!!! Smile
I'm try to expuse my view...

Off course MS will no happy to share they formats...

Regards...
Corfy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't mean to be mean. I just hear a lot of people complain that OOo can't open certain MSO files (or other proprietary files), or can't open them properly, and yet none of them complain about MSO not being able to open or save to other file formats (like OpenDocument Format). Sometimes, I think people are pointing the blame to the wrong party.

Personally, I'm amazed that OOo does as well as it does with Word, Excel and PowerPoint files, considering how closely MS holds the specifications for those files, and how often those specifications are changed. Personally, I woud love to have OOo add Publisher, QuatroPro, Visio, Corel Draw, and several other formats, but when I look at the list of file formats that are available to both read and save in OOo compared to what is available in MS Office, I am simply amazed.
nickto2007

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MS Publisher is one of the stupidest programs made by MS.
MS always bundled it as a gadget for free in their professional suite.
In fact the bad about it is that it's handling of the included pictures are a joke.
There isn't any feature near to Indesign or Quark, nor even the usability of Pagemaker.
Here are the most interesting publishing software I know :
Indesign,
Quark,
Framemaker (I don't know that one... heard very pro),
Scribus (this is new and free),
Ragtime (very good - one of the oldest on Macintosh now on Windows),
Oo Draw (lacks some text/word features but very good at pictures),
Pagemaker (very basic but very fast/stable for large documents),
latex systems (I have to put those somewhere - very special for Unix programmers wanting something all by hand).
Acrobat Pro can also be considered as a contender.

MS Publisher the worst of all those : it lacks big features regarding pictures BUT you have no choice otherthan import all the printable converted picture file in it with no compression. This means you import small linked jpeg logos, enlarge them and they will grow up in tens of megabytes inside your file as preprints or previews. If you make a book of pictures of say 20 pages, it will take one file and more than a GB on your disk.
In the mean time, Pagemaker, Ragtime (the most featured and expensive of the basic ones but free for personnal use), Oo Draw, Scribus are occupying by default kB on the main file and links for those pictures (that you must include near the main file), and Ragtime for instance can incude the original file which is ok if it's jpeg.
I alway thought MS made a pact with the disk and RAm industry when they delivered the MS Publisher (remember how cheap it was at the beginning). Their first strike was made for famillies like a Publishing software for the fun... but they knew they will come to use it at the office.
So the most annoying prblem is now : How do I convert this junk of professional files into something else since if you just think at it, what is published is usable forever, on the contrary of Powerpoint/Impress mostly for a one shot use. In my industry, with lot of technical files, images, high definition photographs, all the disks on servers andcomputers are full only of MS Publisher files since a town described in 3 dimensions which every building described can be smaller than a 10 page MS Publisher on paper presentation and all the secretaries want to use Ms Publisher and only that. The occupation of MS Publisher files are at 85% of those disks !!!
You need to import MS Pub into Oo Draw ... andso must be done in Scribus. There is 100% people who will follow. If Oo Draw adds segmented text/paragraphs including on multiple pages (look at Pagemaker which was the easiest to handle), everything will bebetter than MS Pub... but you DO need an import/export feature for MS Pub files and may be even Pagemaker, Ragtime and other (defunct software doesn't mean old files are useless).
The problem is now that the people working and delivering MS Pub files are coming from Word and nearly replaced the people orking on press/publishing/imaging that were working on such files. They have no knowledge on publishing, and MS Pub makes nothing to improve and stays basic. If you tell them about Quark or Indesign, this means not only bigger software spendings but also sending people at learning at something they ren't ready for. This is where Scribus and Oo Draw come to send those people back to Word (or Oo writer or Wordperfect).
sunstate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: MS Publisher and Open Office Reply with quote

You could publish (Using MS Publisher) to MS Powerpoint and then save as a MS Powerpoint file. This can then be opened by Open Office Impress.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: