OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Rounding off Calculations to 'preset units'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pege63
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Rounding off Calculations to 'preset units' Reply with quote

Can anyone help with this problem?

We have been using Lotus 123 for costings for many years and one of the nice things within this program is the function to round off things to a preset units.

For example. we do lots of price lists in different currencies and they all start off in UK Sterling to then be converted into EURO -US$ and Canadian$ etc.
In Lotus I can set the calculation to round off (up or down) to for example 0.1 - 0.25 - 0.5 - 1 etc which save a lot of time as we have hundreds of prices listed. The beauty with this is that we tend to set small prices to 0.10-0.25, medium prices to 0.50-1 and higher prices to 1-5-10
I can not find any way of doing it in Calc - is there one available ??? It would save us (me...) lots of 'over-typing'.

In Lotus I use this function:
example
@roundm((A2+B6), 0.1,1) where 0.1 is the unit and the 1 = rounding UP.
or
@roundm((A2/0.90),0.25,1)
Netwaves
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: ROUNDUP - Maybe this can help Reply with quote

ROUND
Returns a number rounded to a certain number of decimal places according to valid mathematical criteria.
Syntax:
ROUND(number; count)
number is the number to be rounded.
count (optional) is the number of the places to which the value is to be rounded. If the count parameter is negative, numbers before the decimal are rounded.
Example:
If you enter the number 17.546 in the number field, with 1 specified as the number of rounding places, 17.5 will be returned as the result.
If you enter the number -32.483 in the number field, with 3 specified as the number of rounding places, -32.48 will be returned as the result.
ROUNDDOWN
Rounds a number down, toward zero.
Syntax:
ROUNDDOWN(number; count)
number is the number to be rounded down.
count (optional) is the number of digits to be rounded down to. If the count parameter is negative, rounding is to the digits preceding the decimal point.
Example:
Entering the value 567.567 and the value 2 in the count field will return 567.56.
ROUNDUP
Rounds a number up, according to the specified decimal place.
Syntax:
ROUNDUP(number; count)
number is the number to be rounded up.
count (optional) is the number of digits to which rounding up is to be done.
Example:
Entering the value 123.343 and the value 2 in the count field will return the value 123.35.
RickRandom
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at functions such as FLOOR() and CEILING(). These work with steps of 0.25 or whatever you want, for example

=FLOOR(324.567;0.25)

gives

and

=CEILING(324.567;0.25)

gives

noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest function to Lotus' roundm is MROUND. It can even, I've discovered, be used to round units of time.
Pege63
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickRandom wrote:
Look at functions such as FLOOR() and CEILING(). These work with steps of 0.25 or whatever you want, for example

=FLOOR(324.567;0.25)

gives

and

=CEILING(324.567;0.25)

gives

Many thanks for the suggestion, just what I am after, will do the job and make life sooooo much easier for me. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: