OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

search filter in mailmerge feature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zhangweiwu
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: search filter in mailmerge feature Reply with quote

Hello. We have a center LDAP server in the company with all the contact information. I just set up mailmerge wishing to print 50 envelops for my 50 contacts.

The result is several thousands of envelops are produced, for each contact person in the whole company. I am quite amazed there are no options (at least I didn't find) for applying mailmerge LDAP search filter.

1) if it is possible to specify LDAP search filter in OpenOffice, where do I set it? Please give hints!
2) if it is not possible to specify LDAP search filter, this is a showstopper for integrating LDAP into openoffice, VERY FEW people would need to always print envelop for all contacts.

e.g. I wish to print envelop for |(l="Xiamen")(l="Xia Men")
And I get no way to tell the mailmerge component I need all records qualified above search filter.

Zhang Weiwu [OpenOffice 3 & Linux]
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a hard question for me to answer because I don't deal with LDAP but tell me if you can open a new Writer document, press F4, open the server data base table and preform the necessary filtering with the filter tools available in this dialog? If so then we can solve your problem.
zhangweiwu
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you John for the information. I can use F4 in writer to select and filter entries.

The "bad thing" is we categorize our conatct information using two special fields, businessCategory (as in inetorgperson object class) and category (as in evolutionPerson) object class), however OpenOffice seems to be using the same object class as Mozilla, that means it is not possible to access businessCategory/Category field in OpenOffice.

This really should not happen, as OpenOffice is a Opensource solution, it should adapt standard if possible, inetorgperson object class is the RFC and also de-factor standard in LDAP contact management, Mozilla failed to cope with it well (it only support part of it, and support it somewhat incorrectly, as a inherited problem from Netscape Addressbook), and OpenOffice followed the track , further inherit the problem. businessCategory is defined in RFC as a standard part of contact information.

this problem can be workarounded by:
1) let user define customer filter for LDAP data source rather then using the filter mozilla uses. e.g. allow user to specify search filter for businessCategory.
2) take a full field search (LDAP search without any filed name given) and simply give end user all information from LDAP server, let user do 'Standard Filter' in openoffice Base. This method may not be adoptable because perhaps Base has to know the number of field before it display some fields, with full field search you don't know how many fields might return from server.

Perhaps I should start a feature request.

Zhang Weiwu [OpenOffice 3 & Linux]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: