OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

charts - multi line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countryboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: charts - multi line Reply with quote

I am a new comer to OOo. I thought I would start by trying to recreate a simple spread sheet and chart in Calc. I have got as far as creating a secondary y axis but I have not been able to discover how to assign my third column of data to it. Can someone point me in the right direction please.
countryboy.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: charts - multi line Reply with quote

countryboy wrote:
I am a new comer to OOo. I thought I would start by trying to recreate a simple spread sheet and chart in Calc. I have got as far as creating a secondary y axis but I have not been able to discover how to assign my third column of data to it. Can someone point me in the right direction please.
countryboy.

Select the data series in the chart or graph and then Insert > Axes> Y-axis

Then you muck about with the scale etc. I think this will work.
thom314
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Select the data series in the chart or graph and then Insert > Axes> Y-axis

I don't think that actually works. In fact, the only way I have done this is to scale the data series prior to plotting and then adding a secondary axis with the proper scaling to make sense of it.

The secondary axis on plots is "merely for looks". I know of no way to assign a data series to the secondary axis. If I am wrong, I would love to know the right approach too.
RickRandom
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I've used the second y-axis successfully, but not on the PC I'm currently using.

One thing - make sure it's an XY chart, not a line chart.

Another thing - sometimes I don't spot that I need to scroll down in a dialogue box window to see all the options...
john.egger
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone knows a sure-fire way to make sure the second line on the graph conforms to the 2nd-Y-axis scale, we'd all love to hear it!

I created an XY graph that behaves exactly like this, but darned if I can remember how I did it. I was delighted; the graph looks beautiful, exactly as I wanted it. Two lines, one with values shown on the left Y axis, the other with numbers shown on the right (2nd) Y axis.

I remember scaling the third data column (the first is the X-axis, the second the primary Y axis) data, multiplying it by 0.08 or something, so the second graph line would show up when the vertical scale was that of the primary Y axis (I think I had to change the scale of the primary Y axis a bit also). Then somehow I rescaled the primary Y axis back to the original (properly displaying the column-2 data)... I don't know what happened next, but the second graph line now follows the scale of the right-side (secondary) Y axis.

I have tried to do this again, and have not yet succeeded. The Help instructions don't help... me, anyway; does anyone else understand what they mean?
Registered Linux User #291592
Kubuntu Raring Ringtail (13.04)
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john.egger wrote:
If anyone knows a sure-fire way to make sure the second line on the graph conforms to the 2nd-Y-axis scale, we'd all love to hear it!

I created an XY graph that behaves exactly like this, but darned if I can remember how I did it. I was delighted; the graph looks beautiful, exactly as I wanted it. Two lines, one with values shown on the left Y axis, the other with numbers shown on the right (2nd) Y axis.

I remember scaling the third data column (the first is the X-axis, the second the primary Y axis) data, multiplying it by 0.08 or something, so the second graph line would show up when the vertical scale was that of the primary Y axis (I think I had to change the scale of the primary Y axis a bit also). Then somehow I rescaled the primary Y axis back to the original (properly displaying the column-2 data)... I don't know what happened next, but the second graph line now follows the scale of the right-side (secondary) Y axis.

I have tried to do this again, and have not yet succeeded. The Help instructions don't help... me, anyway; does anyone else understand what they mean?

Unless I completely misunderstand the issue my earler post should describe how to do this.
thom314
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Well, I wonder if this is new with OO 2.0 or whether I have been blind all these years! jkrideau is correct (although I wish you had been more specific in your directions for us slow pokes Wink ).

1) with the plot selected, you can insert a secondary y-axis from the menus Insert -> Axes... -> Secondary Y-Axis and if you double-click on the secondary y-axis you can scale it as you wish. I think we all knew this part.

2) if you double-click on a data series, under the Options tab there is the choice to "align data series to second y-axis". This is the part which I did not know!

Although you can also add a second x-axis, there does not seem to be any ability to align data with it.
countryboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: charts - multi line Reply with quote

thom314 wrote:
Very Happy Well, I wonder if this is new with OO 2.0 or whether I have been blind all these years! jkrideau is correct (although I wish you had been more specific in your directions for us slow pokes Wink ).

1) with the plot selected, you can insert a secondary y-axis from the menus Insert -> Axes... -> Secondary Y-Axis and if you double-click on the secondary y-axis you can scale it as you wish. I think we all knew this part.

2) if you double-click on a data series, under the Options tab there is the choice to "align data series to second y-axis". This is the part which I did not know!

Although you can also add a second x-axis, there does not seem to be any ability to align data with it.

Thank you for this it works! and thank you to all who contrbuted to this thread
john.egger
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
john.egger wrote:

Unless I completely misunderstand the issue my earler post should describe how to do this.

Thanks; I think I have it. I'm using SO8. After double-clicking twice on the second data line in the graph (to select it), choosing the Options tab on the menu offers "align data with the ... axis," and 2nd Y is one of them.
Registered Linux User #291592
Kubuntu Raring Ringtail (13.04)
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thom314 wrote:

Hey, I gave the principle; the proof was left to the student as an exercise. Smile Actually I was running late and was a bit curt.

Quote:

No there does not seem to be any. It just seems to let you set a new scale. Presumably you could rescale the variable algebraicly and then just set the secondary x-axis scale. That's how I would do it in something like R.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: