OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Voting on an Outlook equivalent
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radams36
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: About the numbers. Reply with quote

I think Kaaredyret's point:
Quote:
I dont think corporate users or anyone organized who would like an Outlook clone would vote using Issue Zilla. I think they just dont consider OOo and abandon it in silence. But, thats just my feeling.
is a very good one. We can try and garner some votes in order to draw some attention, but most users who reject OOo because of the lack of an Outlook alternative are probably not frequenting the boards. Also worth noting that the number of people who vote on issues in IssueZilla is a tiny subset of OOo users. So the numbers have to be taken as proportional indicators, and probably skewed very low at that.

And K, sorry for spelling your name wrongly in my last post!

Vote for an Outlook replacement in OpenOffice.org! Go to link: http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=7210
Angel Blue01
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaaredyret wrote:
"Tor Lillqvist, Novell senior software engineer, revealed the latest development in his blog posting yesterday. He is realistic about Evolution's current capabilities, saying it crashes immediately after launching."

Evolution is a bad and ugly Outlook clone, its poor and "1998" basic handling of HTML mails made me abandon it immidiately on Linux (and then I abandoned Linux later), but it is better than nothing.

I'll be testing Evolution this weekend.

No one i know who needs a PIM needs it to be integrated with their E-mail, BTW (one person - no one else needs a PIM). Even Evolution (once its stable) will be overkill.
p.sperling
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more application came to my mind: Chandler
http://chandler.osafoundation.org

Unfortunately, the development of the PIM is slow Sad
Angel Blue01
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im trying Evolution. It seems fine. Except I can't import my Thunderbird address book or my Yahoo! calendar.
fatchao
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant try evolution because i dont know how to extract it and stuff, but EssentialPIM, like p.sperling referred to, is pretty good to me. Any current news about OpenOffice making an Outlook program? I love OpenOffice by the way, really good for an open-source program.
Fenix*NBK*
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novell Evolution is very very far from MS Outlook 2003.
It even doesn't have basic features such as "save as HTML". You can only save as "email format" which in unacceptable for my family.
fatchao
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the point of this post is if OpenOffice will come out with an Outlook alternative, not evolution.
9point9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatchao wrote:
well, the point of this post is if OpenOffice will come out with an Outlook alternative, not evolution.

Is it really an office application though? Look at Kontact in KDE and you see how a comms package can be a part of the desktop environment, completely seperate from an office suite.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel Blue01 wrote:
Kaaredyret wrote:
"Tor Lillqvist, Novell senior software engineer, revealed the latest development in his blog posting yesterday. He is realistic about Evolution's current capabilities, saying it crashes immediately after launching."

Evolution is a bad and ugly Outlook clone, its poor and "1998" basic handling of HTML mails made me abandon it immidiately on Linux (and then I abandoned Linux later), but it is better than nothing.

I'll be testing Evolution this weekend.

No one i know who needs a PIM needs it to be integrated with their E-mail, BTW (one person - no one else needs a PIM). Even Evolution (once its stable) will be overkill.

Aha? So you didnt think about excellent e-mail integration when scheduling meetings (e-mailing invitations to meetings like in outlook)? It bloody WORKS in Outlook, that is the point.

You know no one? I know 15.000! Outlook is not for Joe Average, it is a program almost entirely for corporate environments. It is fine that some of you individuals can use basic stuff like Thunderbird and alpha alpha alpha versions of its calendar, but we are talking GROUPWARE here. Many individuals. Splitting the tasks in a groupware solution between many problems is ASKING for problems. That is why Outlook was developed anyway.

Last edited by Kaaredyret on Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
fatchao
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9point9, it looks good, let me give it a try, but before i do, have you used it? is it good? what are the goods?
fatchao
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind, its only for linux! i have windows, darn.
radams36
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Evolution Reply with quote

Fatchao,

As posted earlier in this thread, they now have a working version of Evolution on Windows. Unfortunately, by 'working version', they mean you can launch the program. The word is that it crashes immediately after launch.

This does mean they now have it on the Windows platform and can start working on making it actually function, not just starting and loading the interface, which is apparently all it's doing now. Oh, and I believe that version is internal, they don't make it available for download or anything.

Still, it represents some progress on this point. Kaaredyret mentioned that it doesn't handle HTML e-mails well, but I'm hopeful that can be fixed.

Would still like to see something integrated into OOo, but I'd happily settle for a completely separate product if it does what's needed.

And I'll back up Kaaredyret's assertion that many corporate users need Outlook type capability in their Office suite. I use this kind of functionality quite literally every day, and I am not squarely in the middle of the Office user demographic for this functionality. It would be quite impractical for my company to switch to OpenOffice specifically because of the lack of groupware/scheduling capabilities.

HTH,

Richard

Vote for an Outlook replacement in OpenOffice.org! Go to link: http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=7210
enine
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sort of integrated PIM in OOo is something I would like to see.
I used MS outlook for years until I got fed up with its problems and limitations, currently I'm using Kontact on KDE and have found nothing else quite as full featured. I've tried the different mail programs like thunderbird and calendaring apps like mozila calandar but Kontact has so much more features, but I'm needing an outlook replacement for my wife so I need something that can run on Windows as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: