OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

New symbol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: New symbol Reply with quote

When I add a new symbol to the symbol set, this is not disponible when I made another equation. How can I made this new symbol disponible in all the other equations? And in addition, how can I do that for all my documents?
Thanks
PD: OOo 1.1 in win-doze XP
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ups! Yesterday I was a little bit asleep... the word is "available", not "disponible", of course...
Embarassed Embarassed
Sorry
Lopez

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem. The program remembers some symbols but always losses the same ones, such as eqaul to... I hope someone can help.

Thx

Lopez
snurb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
The problem may be that you do not save the document. In OOo 1.1.0 you have to save the document in which you define the new symbol. Otherwise OOo will forget it. I don`t know whether the problem is solved in 1.1.1 or not.
yours, snurb
RobM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem - even when I save the document.

If I try to make a new formula (in the current document, or a new one) all my custom added symbols are 'blank' in the catalog- they have the correct name, and even use the correct font when I hit edit - but it seems to pick a random character from the edge of the font-table.

I notice that it always blanks the 'Sub-section' part in the (symbol catalog) editor. So far I have had to set each of the symbols to the correct character in each and every formula I use it. Sad

Other than this problem, I've been very happy I switched from MS Word to OOo. I can now take notes in lectures which are actually legible. Wink

Using OOo 1.1.3 on WinXP Pro
RobM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I have made some progress with this - it seems that the fonts it is 'forgetting' are not Unicode. I am on WinXP, so I use Character Map (Start > Run > "charmap") to find symbols in my fonts (as OOo is a bit lacking in this respect - they're very hard to read) and I noticed all the symbols which are being lost were not full unicode (the 'advanced' lower section was greyed out).

So, as far as my limited understanding extends, it seems that OOo cannot handle non-unicode symbols. The symbol list is kept in \user\registry\data\org\openoffice\Office\Math.scu (search for '<node oor:name="SymbolList">'), and it sems to always save quite high values for the characters.

Perhaps a more pertinant question is: if the font I tried to use was not Unicode, how come I could choose a subset (Mathematical operators) and see plenty of characters?

Anyways, for now I hope that my experiences can help others. I've found Lucida Console Unicode is quite complete, although it doesn't look quite as good as the Mathematica fonts I was trying to use.

RobM

PS - I good place for fonts seems to be : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/fonts/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: