OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Problem using '&' and find replace in open office/vb.net

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluxpunk
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Problem using '&' and find replace in open office/vb.net Reply with quote

hi i have a vb.net 2003 application where a user can type in a name and an address of a client and then they click a button and the program performs a find and replace on an open office document.

The text to find for the clients name is <clientname> and it should replace it with the clients name(e.g Mr & Mrs Smith) The problem i have is when i use ampersand & it replaces the & with <clientname> and i get this output

Mr <clientname> Mrs Smith

I dont know wether this is a vb problem or a open office problem here is my code

Code:

oSM = CreateObject("com.sun.star.ServiceManager")
        oDesk = oSM.createInstance("com.sun.star.frame.Desktop")
        oDoc = oDesk.loadComponentFromURL("file://server/Company%20Programs/contract/docs/" & fileName, "_blank", 0, New unoidl.com.sun.star.beans.PropertyValue(0) {})

If Me.rbtEstimate.Checked = True Then
            displayQuote()
        End If

numWord(txtPrice.Text)

oRD = oDoc.createReplaceDescriptor
        oRD.searchRegularExpression = True

'find/replace clients name
        oRD.setSearchString("<clientname>")
        oRD.setReplaceString(txtClientName.Text)
        oDoc.replaceall(oRD)
[/code]
Zarius
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used VB much, but it could have to do with the search being a regular expression - "oRD.searchRegularExpression = True" - try making it false and see if that works.

Otherwise I have some OpenOfficeBasic code which replaces "PlaceHolder" fields (this allows a little more flexibility, eg. allowing a shortcut key to jump from field to field) with whatever data you want (my program grabs the data from a database of businesses and contacts and replaces any relevant fields in a document or spreadsheet). I can post a snippet of that, or you can check out my program here.
Zarius
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, after a quick modification of the code I ran it under Basic, changed the "oRD.searchRegularExpression" value to false and it works Smile

Still, you might want to check out my program ("Quoots") - we may be working toward similar goals. It could be a bit "heavy" - being a collection of a few different libraries (though they complement each other) - but I'm looking at modularising it and making it more flexible so any feedback is appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: