OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Ability to click on text or page # in TOC to go to the page?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Ability to click on text or page # in TOC to go to the page? Reply with quote

Hi,
I have an existing word.doc that has a table of contents. I would like to be able to click on a line of text or page number in the TOC and get sent to the page example:

3D Modeling Basics:

Primitives and Common Textures 6
Extrusion Methods 12

In the above example, how would I make it so I can just click on "Primitives and Common Textures" and get sent to page 6 and/or click on the "6" and be taken to page 6?

Also, the TOC currently has a grey colored background, how would I change it to "none", or white? When I put the mouse on an open area of the grey and right click, I select "page", "no fill" or white back ground it remains grey, or paragraph style "no fill" its still grey.

Total pages in this document is 119.

Thank you all,

JimB
antonbijl
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim

I hope someone will some up with a better suggestion, but here's mine:

Insert hyperlinks by using the procedure described below:
1 - Position your cursor somewhere in the TOC, right-click and select Edit Index/Table
2 - Go to the Entries tab
3 - For every level (from 1 to 10) that you are using in the TOC (I usually limit this to 3), do the following: (Note: If you want all level to have the same structure do this only for level 1 and then click on the All button to the right of the Structure line to apply it to all levels)
3.1 - Select the level in the list on the left
3.2 - In the Structure field (if it can be called a field) you will see a representation of the structure of the TOC entries. Position your cursor at the beginning of the line (typically would be a blank space before the "E#").
3.3 - Now click on the Hyperlink button (you will see a "LS" or Link Start button appear in the structure at your cursor position)
3.4 - Now move your cursor to the end of the line (you may need to use the arrow button on the right to scroll all the way there and the end of the line would typically be a "#" button)
3.5 - Click the Hyperlink button again (you will see a "LE" or Link End button appear this time
4 - When you're done repeating 3 above for all desired levels, click OK.

Only drawback is that the TOC now appears as hyperlinks complete with underlining etc. I'm sure I've seen a nicer way of doing, but for now I can't find it.

By changing the position of the Link Start and Link End in the procedure above, you can change this so that only the page number is a hyperlink, or only the heading text or only the heading number whatever you want.

HTH

Anton
ftack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to Antonbijl, clicking on LE and LS in the Insert Index/Table dialog, you can set "character style" to something else than Internet Link. Perhaps <none> will work (can't test this right now), but if it doesn't, then create a character style that looks like the body text and assing that to get rid of the hyperlink formatting.

TOC's can be highly customized in OOo and by default, no hyperlinks are inserted as opposed to Word. If you want hyperlinks, you have to customize the TOC, so indeed Antonbijl, your suggestio is the way to do it. If someone would always like to insert hyperlinks in the TOC: I assume that this setting of the TOC can be saved in a template.
antonbijl
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftack

Bedankt! Great tip. Can't believe I haven't seen that before.

Cheers

Anton
cherubino
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this procedure and the TOC were indeed hyperlinks. But when I save the document, close OO and then open the document later, the TOC doesn't contain the link-feature anymore.
Does anybody know how to prevent OO from "forgetting" the new TOC format?

Thanks,

cherubino
robina
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyperlinks in TOCs are "remembered" in 1.9.95. Perhaps you forgot to save the file?
robina
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robina wrote:
Hyperlinks in TOCs are "remembered" in 1.9.95. Perhaps you forgot to save the file?

Or perhaps you saved the file to DOC format. If this is done, TOCs are kept but hyperlinks are lost.
Red Marker
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: ToC hyperlinks underlined Reply with quote

[quote="antonbijl"]Only drawback is that the TOC now appears as hyperlinks complete with underlining etc. I'm sure I've seen a nicer way of doing, but for now I can't find it.

[quote="ftack"]To add to Antonbijl, clicking on LE and LS in the Insert Index/Table dialog, you can set "character style" to something else than Internet Link. Perhaps <none> will work (can't test this right now), but if it doesn't, then create a character style that looks like the body text and assing that to get rid of the hyperlink formatting.

Flack is correct. Click on Format, Styles and Formatting, and then on the Character Styles icon. Right-click on Internet Link and choose New. Make a new Character Style as "Internet Link not underlined", and in Font Effects change Underlining to (Without). OK to save the new style. I then opened Edit Index/Table, Entries tab, and for Levels 2-4 changed the Character Style to "Internet Link not underlined". I did it this way because I wanted Level 1 in the ToC to be underlined, but all other levels not to be underlined.
Red Marker
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ability to click on text or page # in TOC to go to the p Reply with quote

[quote="Anonymous"]Hi,
Also, the TOC currently has a grey colored background, how would I change it to "none", or white? When I put the mouse on an open area of the grey and right click, I select "page", "no fill" or white back ground it remains grey, or paragraph style "no fill" its still grey.

In Tools, Options, OpenOffice.org, Appearance, Text Document, change Field shadings and Index and table shadings to White.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: