OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Openoffice1.1 shutdown problem - xlc file errors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NHaughton
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Openoffice1.1 shutdown problem - xlc file errors Reply with quote

HI,

I've downloaded Openoffice 1.1 from the Openoffice.org website and installed it . I have a new problem that hasn't occurred with previous versions, namely; when I shut it down it reports a General Input/Output Error with the files file:///usr/local/openoffice1.1/user/basic/script.xlc and .../dialog.xlc

The result is that I get asked to register everytime I start the app, and the open-file pick list is never updated.

I can't find anything on the openoffice FAQS or documentation. Any ideas how to cure this? It's damn annoying!

I've checked that these have rw properties for owner/group/everyone (owner is root).

BTW I'm using Linux, (Mandrake 9.1 in case that's relevant)

Can anyone advise how to cure this?
draude
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you run setup as a user as detailed in the installation instructions?

http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/instructions.html

It looks like OOo is confused as to where user configuration files are located. They should be in your home directory, not in /usr/local.
NHaughton
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draude wrote:
Did you run setup as a user as detailed in the installation instructions?.

I think I missed that bit, but I've now "deinstalled" and reinstalled OO. This is what happens:

# Make sure you are root
Done
# Change into this directory: cd OOo_1.1x_LinuxIntel_install.
Done
# Execute the setup script for a "network" installation: "./setup -net"
Done - directory is /usr/local/openoffice1.1 (my 'network' is only one machine)
# Each user on your system should then execute the user-setup for OpenOffice.org.....login as a regular user,...change into the program directory where you installed OpenOffice.org:

so I login as me and change to /usr/local/openoffoce1.1 , and execute the following command:
"./setup"

I get a dialog box saying that Openoffice is already installed at /usr/local/openoffoce1.1, giving only the option to repair this.

Something is not right - but what?
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because you deinstalled and the reinstalled you may have left behind a file in your home directory. Log in as "me" and check the /home/me directory for the HIDDEN file .sversionrc. If you have no other version of OO/SO on your machine you can delete or rename it. If you have other versions then edit it to get rid of the reference to the version you are now trying to install.

Put another way, the setup routine checks the .sversionrc file in"me's" home directory to determine if "me" has already installed his personal "copy" of the current OO version.

Hope this solves your problem because it looks like you did everything else right. The only other thing that comes to mind is a permission problem for "me" in the /usr/local/OO directory but if that was the problem I doubt you could even run ./setup.
NHaughton
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fixed the problem - many thanks for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: