OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

HOWTO: Installation in a multi-user Windows environment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dams_sdis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: few more tips for OO 1.1 and Windows 2000 Reply with quote

With OpenOffice 1.1 it is much simpler. No more need to create/copy xml files nor complexe subdirs in user profile.

Here is a simple script you can copy in the automatic Start menu of the "All Users" profile in Windows 2000. It creates needed files automatically. Just be sure to do a generic "setup.exe -net" install before, so that OpenOffice be ready in "c:\program files\openoffice.org1.1.0" :

@rem --- start ---
@IF EXIST "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\OpenOffice.org1.1.0" GOTO END
@IF NOT EXIST "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\setup.exe" GOTO END

@ECHO.
@ECHO OpenOffice installation running... do no interrupt!!!
@ECHO.

@SET DESTINATIONPATH=C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\OpenOffice.org1.1.0

@ECHO [ENVIRONMENT] > c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO INSTALLATIONMODE=INSTALL_WORKSTATION >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO INSTALLATIONTYPE=WORKSTATION >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO MIGRATION=NO >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO DESTINATIONPATH=%DESTINATIONPATH% >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO LANGUAGELIST=01 >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO STARTPROCEDURE= >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO ENDPROCEDURE=PostSetup >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO. >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO [JAVA] >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO JavaSupport=preinstalled_or_none >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO [Windows_Desktop_Integration] >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO Register4MsWord=Yes >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO Register4MsExcel=Yes >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO Register4MsPowerPoint=Yes >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO RegisterAsDefaultHtmlEditor=NO >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO [PROCEDURES] >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO Sub PostSetup >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO SetReboot(False) >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO End Sub >> c:\resp_oo.txt

@IF EXIST c:\resp_oo.txt "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\setup.exe" -r:c:\resp_oo.txt

@IF NOT "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" ECHO FEL: ERRORLEVEL %ERRORLEVEL% >> c:\%DESTINATIONPATH%\OOinst.log

@PAUSE

:END
@rem --- end ---

you can customise the variables: language, file association, destination path....
dams_sdis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: drive subst... Reply with quote

and I forgot: no more drive substitution needed neither. This is why I made this script! Smile)
dams_sdis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: language codes Reply with quote

From "StarOffice 6.0 Administration Guide": http://se.sun.com/edu/staroffice60/so6_adminguide_0204.pdf

Area Code Language
01 English
49 German
33 French
34 Spanish
39 Italian
46 Swedish
81 Japanese
82 Korean
86 Simplified Chinese
88 Traditional Chinese
squaresponge
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I missing something here Reply with quote

DaveC wrote:
Hi there,

Everything I have read on the website and this forum (including this thread) would indicate that this shouldn't work - but it does.

Confused

I am using Win XP pro. Installed as Administrator. Logged in as myself (administrator privilages) and copied the OpenOffice Program group and OpenOffice quick launch link from Administrator's start menu into all users start menu. Everything seems to work fine, but the OpenOffice files are not associated with OpenOffice when I login as myself. Basically I cannot double click on the OpenOffice files, I have to go into OpenOffice and then to File > Open.
jadrian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Top Priority! Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
not against you, i REALLY thank you for the howto. much easy with it.

more a message to developpers.

i try to convince someone to use openoffice and i nearly succeed, but when he found it was not usable on a different user (as is), he switched back ...

Yeap, similar thing happened to me. If it weren't for this I could really get many people to, at least, give it a try, some of them highschool teachers who would then recommend it to their students. Really it should be a top proiority, I *want* to recommend OpenOffice.

By the way, is there some kind of bugzilla for OO, where we can report and vote for bugs?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: few more tips for OO 1.1 and Windows 2000 Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm just about to try this... but I thought i'd point out it might be useful for certain users to change C: in the script to:

%systemdrive%

I think that'll work, at least it should for me on the couple of machines I have that have wierd letters as their system drive.... Hope this helps someone Smile

dams_sdis wrote:
With OpenOffice 1.1 it is much simpler. No more need to create/copy xml files nor complexe subdirs in user profile.

Here is a simple script you can copy in the automatic Start menu of the "All Users" profile in Windows 2000. It creates needed files automatically. Just be sure to do a generic "setup.exe -net" install before, so that OpenOffice be ready in "c:\program files\openoffice.org1.1.0" :

@rem --- start ---
@IF EXIST "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\OpenOffice.org1.1.0" GOTO END
@IF NOT EXIST "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\setup.exe" GOTO END

@ECHO.
@ECHO OpenOffice installation running... do no interrupt!!!
@ECHO.

@SET DESTINATIONPATH=C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\OpenOffice.org1.1.0

@ECHO [ENVIRONMENT] > c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO INSTALLATIONMODE=INSTALL_WORKSTATION >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO INSTALLATIONTYPE=WORKSTATION >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO MIGRATION=NO >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO DESTINATIONPATH=%DESTINATIONPATH% >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO LANGUAGELIST=01 >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO STARTPROCEDURE= >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO ENDPROCEDURE=PostSetup >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO [JAVA] >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO JavaSupport=preinstalled_or_none >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO [Windows_Desktop_Integration] >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO RegisterAsDefaultHtmlEditor=NO >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO [PROCEDURES] >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO Sub PostSetup >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO SetReboot(False) >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO End Sub >> c:\resp_oo.txt

@IF EXIST c:\resp_oo.txt "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\program\setup.exe" -r:c:\resp_oo.txt

@IF NOT "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" ECHO FEL: ERRORLEVEL %ERRORLEVEL% >> c:\%DESTINATIONPATH%\OOinst.log

@PAUSE

:END
@rem --- end ---

you can customise the variables: language, file association, destination path....
dams_sdis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: few more tips for OO 1.1 and Windows 2000 Reply with quote

In fact, it is not:

but ('For' instead of '4'):

@ECHO RegisterForMsWord=Yes >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO RegisterForMsExcel=Yes >> c:\resp_oo.txt
@ECHO RegisterForMsPowerPoint=Yes >> c:\resp_oo.txt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Sversion.ini File Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I am also trying to do a multi user windows rollout. I have tried every option that is on the internet. I first tried to create a MSI File to use on active directory and it works fine, the problem is, i used a trial product and the date ran out. Now I want to be able to move the sversion.ini file to c: and change the bootstrap.ini refer to that location. But, it doesn't work. My version is,

[Bootstrap]
ProductKey=OpenOffice.org 1.1.0
Location=c:sversion.ini
Section=Versions
BaseInstallation=$ORIGIN/..
UserInstallation=$ORIGIN/..
buildid=645m19(Build:8693)
InstallMode=STANDALONE
ProductPatch=

[ErrorReport]
ErrorReportPort=80
ErrorReportServer=report.services.openoffice.org

If anyone has an idea why it doesn't work, please reply

Thanks
Matt Williamson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I must say that installing OOo on a network is a b*%ch.

Quote:
I have got the multiuser install to work (kind of ) but i have one enojying thing left (The registration dialog pops up everytime a new user loggs on. (It dosen't matter if the user have used OO on this computer before and checked I never whant to register etc..)

Have exactly the same problem here.
Quote:
The problem is solved i change the part about registing in common.xcs.

Thank you for that solution, I will try it asap.

Quote:
This is probably the worst usability issue with OpenOffice.

Without a doubt, yes.
From real world experience I would say that most single users (ie, the Joe Sixpack user who just wants stuff to work) simply won't bother with OOo and use either a simple word program, a copy of MS Office they got with the computer or a pirated copy, or simply not bother at all with an extensive Office suite and use far simpler tools.

So the prime target for MS Office replacement are corporate networks who want to reduce TCO and make it work just as well.

Considering this, OOo fails, completely, utterly, and dramatically. This should be the #1 priority of ANY OOo developer. It should work out-of-the-box in a multi-user, multi-computer, multi-profile corporate network environment WITHOUT having to scroll through dozens of useless OOo Documentation install guides that explain everything except the important stuff that actually matters.

For all those involved in the development of this Office Suite, I salute you on the great work you already did.
But I must tell you that there is one other product on this planet where people really have to go to scores of sites and fora to find solutions, while fruitlessly searching the official website: This product is called Microsoft Windows.

I sincelerely doubt that the OOo community likes to be compared this way but the comparison stands.

orac wrote:
This seems to work in all things except the file associations are not preserved for new users. ie. A new user logs in and creates a new profile based on the default users profile, but the file associations for .xls, .ppt and .doc that worked for the master user profile seem to no longer exist.

That is because file associations are copied differently with different users.
File associations that the adminstrator makes get copied to HKLM, HotKey Local machine, and are both:
-Machine specific, so they don't travel over the network,
-available to every user on that specific computer.

If any other user install/alters file associations, the associations (I hate that word) get copied to HKCU, Hotkey Current User.
I tried using the HKCR key for this once, but it won't work because HKCU is a virtual Merge between the file ass. of HKLM and HKCU. Outside of your user-specific environment is doesn't exist.

Kixstart wrote:
8 ) Right-click on 'My Computer' and go to properties. Go to the user profiles tab. Select the user you just logged out as and click on 'copy'. The path to use is generally: c:\documents and settings\default user. By the way, if this doesn't work, you may need to restart the computer first. Why? There is this bug (what, Microsoft?), where IE can keep the index.dat file open between users. If you can't copy the profile because of this file (and it will tell you), then restart the computer, log back in as the Administrator, and then copy.

There is a solution for the index.dat bug, although nobody seems to know about it.
If you look in your 'default user' profile, you will find several index.dat files, located usually in \cookies and \iTemporary Internet Files.
These get copied over to every newly created user profile. The trouble is, contrary to most or all other files in the 'default user' these files do not get deleted IF they are copied from the default user profile!! The OS keeps them locked for some completely undocumented and TOTALLY obscure reason, but ONLY if they came from the default user profile.
The index.dat files in the default user profile are completely useless and can be deleted without any risk whatsoever. Windows will just recreate them in the user profile when someone logs in, but they do not get copied from the default user profile.
They'll work as any other index.dat file, but they can be delete when the user logs of without any problems.

I've heard about network administrators deciding to Ghost the entire network once a week for this particular bug in windows, because roaming profiles just keep piling up on their clients because of it. Just for this bug only Bill Gates should be shot on sight.
Twisted Evil

BTW, if you want to give ppl in OOo their file ass. back, you can do so by
ripping the important file ass. out of the registry and making a reg-fiile of it, and then put it silently in the login.bat/.cmd/whatever. Be sure to use the file ass. out of HKCU and not out of HKCR or HKLM or it won't work.
Yes it is a dirty hack but it works.

Happy installing,
Crusty_Ass
redndahead
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone please give a try to the new version of OpenOffice. Snapshot M15 It should, hopefully, correct the problem with the install. There might be some options you have to set look through the bug list and you will find what they are.

Adam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snapshot M15 does work great. There are still a few bugs in it.

1) Makes each user agree to license agreement and register the product.
2) Doesn't start quickstarter for the next user but other than that it works great.

Give it a shot Very Happy

Adam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Am I missing something here Reply with quote

DaveC wrote:
Hi there,

Everything I have read on the website and this forum (including this thread) would indicate that this shouldn't work - but it does.

Confused

Do you work with users wich have admin-privilegs or with restricted users?
I have Problems with the File Associations (doubleclick on .sxw .... in SOffice7)
when my users are unprivileged users.
Peter
skoemmli

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Problems with 256 color mode? Reply with quote

Hello,

try to get OOo 1.1 work on a Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server with MetaFrame XP 1.0
The problem is that the ICA sessions only support 256 color mode and in this mode i have crashes. Crying or Very sad
Testing the same with OOo 1.03 doesn't work too.
I've tried different Java 1.4 versions, different user privilegues and so on.
It only works if the user is logged on directly at the servers console with 16bit Color mode. Tried with console running at 256 colors - the same crash!
Has anybody had the same problems?

i have attached the report ooo wanted to send to sun.

---------- report ----------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE errormail:errormail PUBLIC "-//OpenOffice.org//DTD ErrorMail 1.0//EN" "errormail.dtd">
<errormail:errormail xmlns:errormail="http://openoffice.org/2002/errormail" usertype="">
<reportmail:mail xmlns:reportmail="http://openoffice.org/2002/reportmail" version="1.0" feedback="false" email="">
<reportmail:title></reportmail:title>
<reportmail:attachment name="description.txt" media-type="text/plain;charset=UTF-8" class="UserComment"/>
<reportmail:attachment name="user.dmp" media-type="application/octet-stream" class="UserDump"/>
</reportmail:mail>
<officeinfo:officeinfo xmlns:officeinfo="http://openoffice.org/2002/officeinfo" build="645m19(Build:8693)" platform="wntmsci8.pro" language="49" procpath="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\" exceptiontype="0xC0000005" product="OpenOffice.org"/>
<systeminfo:systeminfo xmlns:systeminfo="http://openoffice.org/2002/systeminfo">
<systeminfo:System name="Windows NT" version="4.0" build="1381" locale="0x00000407"/>
<systeminfo:CPU type="x86"/>
</systeminfo:systeminfo>
<errormail:Stack type="Win32">
<errormail:StackInfo pos="0" ip="0x20DFF9C8" rel="0x0003F9C8" ordinal="Ordinal343+0x00000008" name="tl645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="1" ip="0x200FD2C6" rel="0x000FD2C6" ordinal="Ordinal4639+0x00000046" name="svt645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="2" ip="0x200FD3C9" rel="0x000FD3C9" ordinal="Ordinal4640+0x00000059" name="svt645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="3" ip="0x200FDAFC" rel="0x000FDAFC" ordinal="Ordinal4617+0x0000000C" name="svt645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="4" ip="0x200E64F9" rel="0x000E64F9" ordinal="Ordinal4676+0x00000039" name="svt645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="5" ip="0x203F7737" rel="0x001B7737" ordinal="Ordinal29364+0x000004A7" name="svx645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="6" ip="0x203FB456" rel="0x001BB456" ordinal="Ordinal19683+0x00000F36" name="svx645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="7" ip="0x2127498C" rel="0x0002498C" ordinal="Ordinal4431+0x0000004C" name="vcl645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="8" ip="0x212FC50F" rel="0x000AC50F" ordinal="Ordinal4282+0x000000FF" name="vcl645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="9" ip="0x2126EFBB" rel="0x0001EFBB" ordinal="Ordinal4929+0x0000089B" name="vcl645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="10" ip="0x21270DCC" rel="0x00020DCC" ordinal="Ordinal4929+0x000026AC" name="vcl645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="11" ip="0x21372202" rel="0x00122202" ordinal="Ordinal3936+0x000000F2" name="vcl645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="12" ip="0x212FFBAF" rel="0x000AFBAF" ordinal="Ordinal4017+0x00000A8F" name="vcl645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="13" ip="0x212FFE75" rel="0x000AFE75" ordinal="Ordinal4017+0x00000D55" name="vcl645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="14" ip="0x212FFF00" rel="0x000AFF00" ordinal="Ordinal4017+0x00000DE0" name="vcl645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="15" ip="0x2138B352" rel="0x0013B352" ordinal="xEnumDisplayDevices+0x000057C2" name="vcl645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="16" ip="0x2138BEFB" rel="0x0013BEFB" ordinal="xEnumDisplayDevices+0x0000636B" name="vcl645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="17" ip="0x2138C427" rel="0x0013C427" ordinal="xEnumDisplayDevices+0x00006897" name="vcl645mi.dll" path="D:\Prog\OpenOffice\program\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="18" ip="0x77E713ED" rel="0x000013ED" ordinal="TranslateMessageEx+0x000003ED" name="USER32.dll" path="C:\WINNT\system32\"/>
<errormail:StackInfo pos="19" ip="0x00650039"/>
</errormail:Stack>
</errormail:errormail>
skoemmli

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Additional Info Reply with quote

Hello again,

i have just testet with 16 Colors ICA Mode and had NO Error. What could be the problem?

Thanks
skoemmli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Solved the 256 col. problem Reply with quote

Hello,

as i found out that the crashes only occured in 256 color mode and not in 16 colors mode i decided to try out setting ICA sessions color depth to at least 16 bits.
I knew from metaframe 1.8 that an extra license was needed to set up more than 256 colors but in MF XP this is not so.
I was very surprised that the crash didn't occure and my colleague will now test ooo intensively. Maybe we will use it soon in a Terminal Server farm of 8 Servers with 500 users Wink

PS: I also tried the 256 colors problem on a Windows NT workstation, Win 2000 and Win XP Pro and it did newer appear on this systems. I presume this is a "Terminal Server Edition" problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: