OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OO hangs on opening Writer doc with embedded Calc sheets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aacraig

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: OO hangs on opening Writer doc with embedded Calc sheets Reply with quote

I've got a small document (165k) that has ten or so embedded Calc spreadsheets. They are not linked to external files, but have been created new inside the Writer doc. I recently did some major modifications to this file, especially to the embedded spreadsheets. Now the program hangs when I try to open the file. I have let the program run for many hours (more than 4) to see if it would eventually open the file, but it will not. I am running a Fedora box and recently upgraded everything, which did not solve the problem. A friend running XP and the latest version of OO experiences the same issue with this file.

Is there a way to recover the file? Get the text out at least if the file is corrupt?

Thanks for any help!
joerg04
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: OO hangs on opening Writer doc with embedded Calc sheets Reply with quote

aacraig wrote:
I've got a small document (165k) that has ten or so embedded Calc spreadsheets. They are not linked to external files, but have been created new inside the Writer doc. I recently did some major modifications to this file, especially to the embedded spreadsheets. Now the program hangs when I try to open the file. I have let the program run for many hours (more than 4) to see if it would eventually open the file, but it will not. I am running a Fedora box and recently upgraded everything, which did not solve the problem. A friend running XP and the latest version of OO experiences the same issue with this file.

Is there a way to recover the file? Get the text out at least if the file is corrupt?

Thanks for any help!

I had a problem on my Debian system. I could solve it by renaming the hidden folder /home/YOUR_USERNAME/.openoffice.org2/ to something else. When I restarted OpenOffice.org a new folder was created and the file opened seamlessly. This folder contains your OOo setting. If it works you can delete the old folder.

To your second question. Since it is a ziped xml file you can open it be renaming to filenname.zip , then unzip it and search for the parts you need. Text and images should be extractable.

The exist several threads in this forum. Just search for corrupted.

RKWard: http://rkward.sourceforge.net/
sidux: http://sidux.com/index.html
Musix: http://musix.org.ar/en/index.html
aacraig

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to me so quick on this. I'll look into corrupted and go from there.
aacraig

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update.

The file will actually open. But after a few seconds of activity (such as scrolling down a few pages) the program locks up. On my KDE desktop, the taskbar stopped working immediately, though for a time I could switch between apps using Alt+Tab. After a minute or so, the whole system locked up and then the computer shut itself off.

I've been having overheating problems, so I assume that it shut off because the CPU was being maxed out, I'm guessing by OO.

Is it possible that having many spreadsheets with calculations inside them embedded in the document is causing OO to have to think too hard?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: